OBX has any body been to the obx to hunt this year

GkBasnight

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2009
greenville,nc
Detector(s) used
whites beachhunter
dont hunt from oregon inlet down to ocracoke island. anywhere in the state park is illegal and new laws in effect this year. nagshead and beaches to the north is ok. you can google it easily.

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
scooterl said:
but i need a friend to go with this one i have :icon_pirat: have you found anything there beach hugger

The Outer Banks beaches have been the pits this winter, seriously. It's like detecting in the middle of the Sahara Desert. ???

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully that changes when I am there in June.

LarryinVT

Greenie
Oct 16, 2007
Waterville, VT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
scooterl said:
i went last year and found a 1643 silver coin , i want to go back again

I saw a guy find one of those 1643 coins three years ago - it was paper thin but the details were still legible. I never had much luck myself till last year when the beaches were cut and scalloped pretty good and I came home with two 14k gold bands and 8 pounds of fishing weights.

We'll be back there the second and third weeks of May. One of those coins would be a sweet find!

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
LarryinVT said:
scooterl said:
i went last year and found a 1643 silver coin , i want to go back again

I saw a guy find one of those 1643 coins three years ago - it was paper thin but the details were still legible. I never had much luck myself till last year when the beaches were cut and scalloped pretty good and I came home with two 14k gold bands and 8 pounds of fishing weights.

We'll be back there the second and third weeks of May. One of those coins would be a sweet find!

Larry,
It sounds like you may be talking about the british hammered shillings that are so abundant on the Outer Banks beaches. They are waver thin and wash up on the beach like sand dollars. Very thin, but great silver coins....worth about $50 a piece...

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
scooterl said:
the 1643 coin i found is called a half a crown :icon_king:

Yeah, the local gift shops have been selling those fake 'half crowns' for years. The local kids and tourist buy them and end up tossing them in the ocean. Evey detectorist on the Outer Banks has a pocktfull of them. They even give a solid "high tone" on the detector; unlike some of the other cheap fakes that read like a zince penny. Some are dated in the 1600's , some are not dated....same junk..

OP
OP
scooterl

scooterl

Feb 23, 2008
badin lake nc.
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, excalibur 1000
beach hugger your going crazy again with that fake thing you just dont want me coming back down finding your treasure :tongue3:

OP
OP
scooterl

scooterl

Feb 23, 2008
badin lake nc.
Detector(s) used
beach hugger dont forget that my coin made the TOP TEN COINS OF 2008 the front and back are there :coffee2:

OP
OP
scooterl

scooterl

Feb 23, 2008
badin lake nc.
Detector(s) used
front side

Attachments

• 1643 coin back side  1.jpg
    1643 coin back side 1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 352
  • 1643 coin back side.jpg
    1643 coin back side.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 351
  • 1643 coin back side  1.jpg
    1643 coin back side 1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 352
    1643 coin back side.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 349
OP
OP
scooterl

scooterl

Feb 23, 2008
badin lake nc.
Detector(s) used
BACK SIDE :thumbsup:

Attachments

1643 coin back side.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 353
    1643 coin back side.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 353
OP
OP
scooterl

scooterl

Feb 23, 2008
badin lake nc.
Detector(s) used
HEY BEACH HUGGER WHATS YOUR ADDRESS DOWN THERE ILL PUT IT IN MY GPS WHEN I COME DOWN THERE TO SEE YOU :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread