Where do you take gold rings for the best $ price?

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
seger98 said:
And don't sell them to a jeweler

Sorry, I beg to differ. I have an outstanding Jeweler that pays me TOP Dollar for gold and diamonds.....You just need to develop a good working relationship with one and youll do fine.

S

seger98

Painter65 said:
seger98 said:
And don't sell them to a jeweler

Sorry, I beg to differ. I have an outstanding Jeweler that pays me TOP Dollar for gold and diamonds.....You just need to develop a good working relationship with one and youll do fine.

I've yet to find one!

OP
OP
The Digger

The Digger

Jan 13, 2009
Buffalo NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax Tiger Shark
I will test the waters and see what each one says. thanks for the tips! Dave

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a number of options avail to u.
1. Any item with stones have it appraised, if its value is high enough have a written appraisal done, with that put the item on ebay stating it has a written appraisal and its value. With that you can be the judge of how much to accept for it.
2. Non stone items you are basically going for the material value, research the refineries online, some better then others.
3. Although not the best local pawn shops, gold buyers if u need a quick money fix.
4. Local jewelry makers, these sometimes pay off the best, if they accept consignment items, they will hold and sometimes sell for the highest value, but could be slow on returns. This is esp good in resort areas.
5. Be aware of the items age, a ring from 100 years ago is going to be more valuable then a current creation. And yes i have found 100 year old rings on the beach. Most high grade jewelry shops will be able to tell the difference.

There are many ways to sell off your items each depends on how fast you need the return on the items u find.
These are just a few thoughts for u, there are many more.

OP
OP
The Digger

The Digger

Jan 13, 2009
Buffalo NY
Detector(s) used
Thanks sleeper that was really educational much appreciated! Dave

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I took 84 grams of 14 kt gold to a reputable jeweler in Winter Park that advertised the highest amount paid for Gold. The girl weighed it and told me $493.00. :o I gathered my gold and thanked her for the offer and as I left the store, I thought "BS, she only offered 50% of spot price". :icon_pirat: I'm driving to St. Pete tomorrow and take it to a referred buyer. When I mentioned 84 grams and if $493 was its value, he said no, its worth over a $1,000.00. ;D Hold onto your gold rings, if he gives me the value that I've figured out on a scrap gold calculator, he's going to probably get a lot of Treasurenet business. I'll let you know. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let us know, I go to Tampa about once a month..........

D

digum smacks

mid west refineries period !me and every one i know deals with them.if you can find someone better on the open market let me know.unless your like the other guy and are in with someone.

Gulf Hunter

Jan 12, 2007
Galveston Co., Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 800s
Hello FLauthor, I just ran your #'s on the Dendritics precious metals calculator and subtracted the Midwest Refinery fee of 5% and show it to be worth $1425.95, so I wouldn't settle for much less than that. Never found anyone, who pays any better than Midwest, good luck.

FLauthor said:
I took 84 grams of 14 kt gold to a reputable jeweler in Winter Park that advertised the highest amount paid for Gold. The girl weighed it and told me $493.00. :o I gathered my gold and thanked her for the offer and as I left the store, I thought "BS, she only offered 50% of spot price". :icon_pirat: I'm driving to St. Pete tomorrow and take it to a referred buyer. When I mentioned 84 grams and if $493 was its value, he said no, its worth over a $1,000.00. ;D Hold onto your gold rings, if he gives me the value that I've figured out on a scrap gold calculator, he's going to probably get a lot of Treasurenet business. I'll let you know. :thumbsup:

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
I certainly and by no means am an authority on gold, gold prices or gold dealers. I do have a good relationship with my jeweler but in regards to taking off the 5%. when a person you buy gold from buys your gold you should likely take into consideration they are buying alot in order to ship it to be melted. I was told and not by my person that typically most take around 20% as a buffer, A) for profit and B) because gold price can and will fluctuate. If a gold buyer buys your gold on the first of the month and gold is at 900 he may have to wait or choose to wait till the end of the month to ship the gold, by then gold could have dropped by then so they typically put in a cushion on the price they pay.....
Now this may be true or not...I only put it out there for food for thought, if you disagree please dont bash me for posting it, its only what I was told.
thanks!

OP
OP
The Digger

The Digger

Jan 13, 2009
Buffalo NY
Detector(s) used
Thanks everybody for your feed back, yeah if anybody out gets better let us all know. Much appreciated! Dave

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, Gulf Hunter, now I feel like an idiot. I figured my gold was worth about $1200 and I got 60% from Old Northeast Jewelers in St. Petersburg, FL. They are located at 1131 4th Street North, in case anyone wants to try them. I had the owner, Mr. Hess look my stuff over. A few gold pieces he wasn't interested in so i still have those to send to Midwest. If I had paid out of pocket for the gold then I'd feel worse but I found it all with a metal detector. I'll find more that is for certain and I will save the Midwest Info for future use. Still I made 20% more than the other place was offering. In case anyone visits Old Northeast they will as who referred you, just say Mr. Rainey the Metal Detectorist. I read somewhere that if you get 60% of value that's about right because they have to retain it for 60 or 90 days. Live and learn. At least I have a check to put toward my Metal Detecting boat. I have sites that can only be reached by boat.
( I just checked my bag and found a wedding ring, he overlooked, plus some other he didn't want. I have about 3 grams of gold dust for a total of 35 grams to send in to Midwest, so all isn't lost.)

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
............................I think I kinda said that in my previous post........ ???

A

Atticus Finch

FLauthor said:
Well, Gulf Hunter, now I feel like an idiot. I figured my gold was worth about $1200 and I got 60% from Old Northeast Jewelers in St. Petersburg, FL. They are located at 1131 4th Street North, in case anyone wants to try them. I had the owner, Mr. Hess look my stuff over. A few gold pieces he wasn't interested in so i still have those to send to Midwest. If I had paid out of pocket for the gold then I'd feel worse but I found it all with a metal detector. I'll find more that is for certain and I will save the Midwest Info for future use. Still I made 20% more than the other place was offering. In case anyone visits Old Northeast they will as who referred you, just say Mr. Rainey the Metal Detectorist. I read somewhere that if you get 60% of value that's about right because they have to retain it for 60 or 90 days. Live and learn. At least I have a check to put toward my Metal Detecting boat. I have sites that can only be reached by boat.

I have sites that can only be reached by boat.\I have sites that can only be reached by boat.\I have sites that can only be reached by boat.

You sure know how to wake a guy up at 8:23 am while the coffee is still brewing. Care to 'expound' a litle more....
8)

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
FLauthor said:
At least I have a check to put toward my Metal Detecting boat. I have sites that can only be reached by boat.

Me too - I've found sites that can only be reached by boat, and am looking for the perfect (or at least OK) boat for metal detecting.

The boat needs to be relatively shallow draft and beachable. And a walk-around with cabin would be nice .

A 22' C-dory would be great, but they are hard to find in this part of Florida.

Any boat suggestions?

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread