Riviera Beach, Florida

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anyone know why this beach is so special that metal detecting is not allowed? I mean, it is certainly not in a particularly nice area of Palm Beach county, it is not a pristine or historic beach, and yet, for some reason, they don't want folks digging little holes on their beach.

The strange thing is, they allow you to walk down the beach into the water and detect in the water.

I walked right past the lifeguard tower with my detector as I entered the beach. No one stopped me. I saw no signs prohibiting metal detecting. However, after 20 minutes of searching the "beach captain" rolls up on his dune buggy and orders me off the beach. Funny thing is, in that 20 minutes I had done a great community service by removing about a dozen pieces of junk metal off their beach.

Any other similar spots off limits in Palm Beach county?

Upvote 0

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the way i read that law is simply this:

No metal detector shall be permitted upon the public beaches of the city (between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm) except for the search of lost objects of value upon approvial of the city manager after written application is made by the person losing such object of value, etc etc etc..

I believe if someone that lives there went to see the city manager with this code typed out this way it would basically be in effect the way they wanted it enforced.

Basically i see this code as saying no detectors between the hours of 8 am - 5 pm unless you are searching for a lost item and seek approvial of the city manager to be out there detecting during those hours of 8am - 5 pm.

But due to its wording it comes across as no detecting period unless special permit is granted.

So somone take the time and go see the city manager and get it verified as to their exact meaning ie:
No detectors period
No detectors allowed between the hours of 8am - 5pm unless special permit is issued for lost item

Below is the corrected code, print it out and ask them if this was there meaning, to limit the hours detectors could go onto the beach, OR if there desire was to totally eliminate detectors on there beach period as there code is written.

(7) No metal detector shall be permitted upon the public beaches of the city between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. except for the search of lost objects of value upon approval of the city manager after written application is made by the person losing such object of value, stating therein the approximate date, time and location when and where the loss occurred and describing the object sought to be found and its value.

This is article 1, Section 13-1 (7) of the Riviera Beach Municipal code.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last month(april 13th) i lost my EMERALD & Diamond Rolex GMT 18K 50th Anniversary watch valued at $34,000 that was a gift from my grandfather while making sand castles on Riviera Beach.The location will only be givin to the city manager after i have him sign a non-disclosure form and written application to metal detect for my lost watch.It may take me several months to find my watch due to sand erosion and wave action upon the beach.

Has anyone else here lost anything of value while playing on Riviera Beach?

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
So far I know, it's not allowed metal detecting. The last time I was there I saw a sign. I'm talking the beach after you cross the bridge over intercoastal and you can see in your right side 'Peanut island', after you pass that bridge, right in the curve of that ave. take right, get parking and find the beach.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What time does Rivera Beach close at night???? Do they lock the beach parking down or is it still allowable to be out there????

Deepsix

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
The way I understand that law is I can detect all I want on the beach BEFORE 8am and AFTER 5pm. It is just in between 8am-5pm I need permission.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anyone know if this is still being enforced? I am pretty sure "Singer Island" is part of Riviera Beach, and I have gone there quite a few times, and no one has ever told me a thing........right there at the main beach access with the 7-eleven. I didn't notice a sign but I didn't go out of my way looking for one. Its a rather big beach, but not particularly nice, and yes its not far from the "hood".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Signal, this is a very old post, and .... of course .... I'm not from FL, so I can't comment on any of that. But what I did want to comment on, was your observation tht you had gone there, no problem (because you didn't know about any of this). I have heard of this kind of thing happening here in CA one time:

There is a certain federal beach section, where .... rumor had it in the md'ing community, that md'ing was "not allowed" (d/t it's federal, as opposed to city or state). Anyhow, one day, about 10 or 12 yrs. ago, I was reading a forum thread of a newbie in CA posting some incredible beach finds posts. To the extent of getting 100's of clad per day, with the occasional rings. He said he was hunting the dry sand at a certain popular beach, and that the finds/targets were so prolific, it was just non-stop digging. He simply couldn't understand "why the locals weren't all over it".

I PM'd the guy and started exchanging some talk with him (hoping to get him to drop his guard, and let me know what beach he was working, because I knew I was only about 2 hrs. south of him). After getting to know him, he confided to me which beach it was. Imagine his surprise when I told him "I thought this beach was off-limits?". He simply couldn't believe it. He was certain I was the one who was mistaken. Because he had gone there in broad daylight, for several weeks, several times per week, in front of anyone and everyone (yup, right in front lifeguard towers, rangers, etc....). No one ever said "boo" to him, and no one cared.

So he started researching what I was saying, and found out that ... yes, if you morphed enough things, and asked enough people, perhaps yes, you'd get a "no". He was half-inclined to simply keep going though, because it was painfully apparent that ..... in actual practice .... no one cared. It also now dawned on him why his finds had been so numerous, and the beach so virgin: that all the locals figured they couldn't do it. Doh! Not sure if he did simply keep going, or .... now that "appraised" stopped?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Tom, all good points. I am honestly not that familiar with all the boundaries of municipalities in South Florida (can you believe we have over 150 municipalities in just South Florida alone?). The place I go I call Singer Island, and I am not sure if the "sign" applies to it, or if its another part of the city or what the case is. The post was so long ago, I wasn't sure if things changed, or what the case was. I can tell you this, I did not find much on that beach :) that tells me its hunted

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
" ....... that tells me its hunted..."

Yes, perhaps. And that they too did not ask enough questions.

Cuda

Oct 6, 2012
West Palm Beach, FL
Primary Interest:
Anyone know if this is still being enforced? I am pretty sure "Singer Island" is part of Riviera Beach, and I have gone there quite a few times, and no one has ever told me a thing........right there at the main beach access with the 7-eleven. I didn't notice a sign but I didn't go out of my way looking for one. Its a rather big beach, but not particularly nice, and yes its not far from the "hood".

Do you go into the water or just the dry sand? I am wondering if the water is off limits there? It's a confusing ordinance, I am just planning on getting in the hobby but will be primarily interested in water hunting. I searched the ordinances for the Town of Palm Beach and there is nothing stating it's unlawful, not sure how they enforce the rules since I see people drinking, wake boarding and etc all which are against the rules...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread