HURRICANE WILMA

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gosh, aren't I the lucky one! A dream come true! I live in Missouri and am scheduled to fly into Tampa Monday afternoon. To be able to detect beaches the day after! I've been to FL 5 or 6 times, detecting beaches on the atlantic and gulf sides. My 14 year old son found a gold wedding band about 5 inches down in the sand on Bowman's Beach, Sanibel Island. On south Miami beach I found a gold medallion of Jesus with a row of diamonds encrusted in the crown of thorns. Lots of coins, lots of junk. A nice silver ring find West Palm Beach.

It's been a dream of miine to detect beaches the day after. As long as the flight doesn't get cancelled and the hotel remains open, I'm there!

Any thoughts or advice from the ones that have been there and done that? I have a minelab 800.

I would like to have a meet-up to detect with any serious minded one available to detect the beaches south of Fort Meyers to Naples and from South Miami Beach to West Palm Beach Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday week of October 24. I'll be staying in a Holiday Inn Express in Naples. Any one can contact me at

[email protected]

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WILMA ?

i gotta start Watching The News .

When Is it Due ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on the beaches. ?A great web site to learn more about how it's done is www.thegoldenolde.com/

The next time you send your Excal in for repairs, ask them to install the larger coil. ?It will cost more, but let me tell you that it is worth it and it will soon pay for itself. ?The 800 coil is ok for playing around in a very junky area, but you want to cover more sq. inches per swing and get more depth too.

I use an Excal 1000 and a CZ-20 sometimes. ?It's always a toss up over which one I will use. ?The Excal does go deeper I believe from experience. ?Don't wrap the coil cord around the shaft. ?Run it up one side and tape it every couple inches and stop at the handle. ?I suggest hanging it from your neck to save the resistance of moving it thru the water. ?I secure the shaft to my belt with a bungee cord and a snap hook. ?All this saves the wire from breaking inside the covering. :)

HH,
Sandman

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
jeff of pa said:
WILMA ?

? i gotta start Watching The News .

? ? ? When Is it Due ?

Yesterday morning Wilma was the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic basin at category 5, 175 mph, and I think 880 mb. Now I believe it has weakened to category 4. Mandatory evacuation in Fla Keys, South Fl. mobile homes. It is slow moving and is expected to hit South Florida on Sunday or Monday if it stalls. I'm in a wait and see mode.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of Luck "B"

Don't Take Any Chances With Your Life.

I'll Keep My Fingers Crossed For You & everyone Else In its Path.

JEFF

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
In as much as I have been known to jump in and hunt even during the storms, I have a bad feeling about this one and am going to "wait and see". I may hunt the aftermath, but am not going out in the storm this time. :-\ Take care and Good Hunting but PLEASE err on the side of caution ;)

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
As good as they were at predicting where the hurricanes were going last year, this one appears to have them stumped. It looks like they won't really know until it actually starts to turn this time. I haven't really done anything to prepare as they keep saying it's gonna go through south FL. Batten your hatches down there guys!!!!! Stay safe.

vicki

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
So far it's looking like we're gonna get it in my area. Although I'm on the east coast in Hollwood, the hurricane center is predicting it'll still be at least a category 2 storm as it passes through. Definitly have to put the shutters up :(, but I'll wait till Saturday.

Bummer for football. They rescheduled the Miami Hurricane/Georgia Tech game for Nov. 19, and the Dolphin/Cheifs game for tomorrow (Fri.) at 7 pm.

Good luck everyone on the Soutwest coast!

HH 8) surfrat

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you all stay safe!!!

Nana ;)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Looks like I will have to put up my plywood. I have it all pre-cut and drilled for each window...so many hurricanes these past two years...Wilma is the last letter in the alphabet they can use.( I don't know why they can't use the letter Y)....Next year is predicted to be worse...no wonder there were so many shipwrecks...It's only a matter of time for South Florida.... they appear to come in bunches.
Truthfully I am not concerned for my life, but I am very concerned about my underinsured property...But I live on the East coast... I'm afraid for Naples...
As far as the Treasure Coast we will wait and see....the wind strips the beach most when it comes from the East or Northeast....hurricanes spin counterclockwise.
I can keep you all updated on Sunday or Monday until I lose electric........or my roof. ?:'(

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Looks like Wilma will weaken by the time it hits us in South Florida. I hope they are right. Cozumel and Cancun are getting POUNDED. The storm will be there for 24 hours!
If it reaches the Treasure Beaches, and hits the beach from the right direction and I don't have to work, I will be there.
I don't know where to search in Naples or Fort Myers. But if a once in a lifetime opportunity presents itself I should consider it.
Where in SW Florida can Spanish Treasure be found on the beach? I am not really interested in modern jewelry. Any thoughts.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
to everyone in wilmas path...be safe.batten down the hatches and evacuate if they call for it! better to be safe than sorry.

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wilma and the evacuation of Naples has had me rebook my hotel stay from Naples to Cocoa Beach, Monday night through Thursday night. Someday in the not so distance future I plan to move out of Missouri and retire to FL and hit the beaches the day after hurricanes/tropical storms. If anyone would like to meet-up, I'll buy the first two rounds! I'd like to swap treasure stories and talk with a serious minded one that is a certified diver (I'm NASDS certified) and detects surf/sand. I'm available to meet Tues, Wed, Thurs, anywhere along the coast from Daytona Beach to South Miami Beach. Send me an email,

[email protected]

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wilma update: hurricane watch (36 hrs.) for entire Florida Keys. Watch expected for South Florida this afternoon. Yucatan is getting pounded....40 inches of rain...40,000 tourists trapped in "shelters" with little food, medication, and no toilet facilities. Wilma refuses to break up... expected to eventually leave Yucatan as a Category 3 storm...Areas in Ft. Lauderdale already flooded...Most hotels had events cancelled and are empty....Experts predict weakening, but Wilma will enter the same warm Gulf strengthening waters of Katrina, Charlie, Rita and others.
Newly formed Tropical Depression #25 south of Puerto Rico. Remarkably active season smashed all records.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hurricane Watch (36 hrs.) issued for South Florida from about Tampa on the West Coast down and around the horn and up the East Coast all the way up to Titusville(JFK Space Center). Mandatory evacuation Fl. Keys. South Florida told to hunker down. Wilma expected to pick up tremendous speed in the open Gulf and the Florida crossing. Expected to hit Fl. West coast at category 2 or 3 with tornados.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hurricane Warning (24 hrs) issued for the same Florida area. Wilma leaving the mountainous Yucatan a large category 2 hurricane with sustained winds of 100mph. Expected to gain strength in the warm open Gulf of Mexico waters to a cat 3 storm. Experts hoping first cold front of the season coming south will shear off some wind keeping Wilma from strengthening. Will probably make landfall around Naples as A CAT2 still dangerous storm. Heavy rainfall with tornadoes possible.

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This Missouri boy is getting ready to fly into Tampa. SW Air says flights into Tampa Monday are still a go. I rebooked my hotel stay from Naples to Cocoa Beach.

Tuesday morning I plan to start at Daytona beach ( I LOVE DRIVIN ON THAT BEACH) and work the beaches southward ending up on South Miami Beach Thursday. 256 miles of coast line to cover! I plan to post my experiences upon return................

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Be safe ONES. Hope you find the good stuff. Makes me wish I could be down there.? I have a cousin in West Palm. Her and her husband are on their way to Jacksonville. Her company is sending her up there with their PC data for safe keeping.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check out this live webcam in key west,its dark now thier power went off but the cam is still running,you can see lightning and hear the thunder an the wind howling.every now an then you see army hummers an cops drive by.

http://www.liveduvalstreet.com/index.htm

Attachments

• wilmaoct05.gif
    wilmaoct05.gif
    43.6 KB · Views: 410

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
update; Wilma has made landfall in the Naples area Cat 3, 125mph. Ft. Lauderdale will see its worst 8-11 am...Naples expected 9- 15 ft storm surge..,160,000 people evacuated....all s. florida to experience hurricane force winds....300,000 without power...need to post...electric keeps flickering and have to reboot...need a battery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread