Bathtub Beach Martin Co Florida

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
I know where that is. Haven't been down to FL in a couple of years though.

Why was it closed?

OP
OP
F

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
BIS,does that mean the parking is blocked off...no life guard on duty...parking fines if I were to venture there on my own >>>just want to see some tropical fish before heading N to Va....any other ideas.....could do the drift dives,but despise the 'cow trains' run out of W Palm....probably best to phone a few of the West Palm dive shops and check with them...don't want to get arrested or fined big $$$$......loving this full moon...great nite dives.....yall are so fortunate to live here year round....except that the summers are sorta hot unless one is in the water....
We hope those 'slow engineers' are going to be VERY SLOW when giving consideration to pumping and renourishment (BURYING EVERYTHING)
at our beach here at Wabasso....tax $$$$ at work....maybe the coastal dept will lay off a lot of folks and nature can take its course....thanks for the info on Bath Tub Beach...will check back in July.....

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Everything at bathtub is closed to the public. Probably for months. Maybe Walton rocks in St. Lucie county, just south of the Nuke plant?

Our "coastal engineer", as well as those from many other local counties, appear to be totally clueless. Great Lakes Dredging is screwing the public. Beach sand is a unique product, and is not dredged from offshore or inland borrow pits.

Much of our true beach material has washed into St. Lucie inlet. Just recently this material has been discovered, and they are planning on using it to renourish bathtub beach.

Sand moves from north to south due to wave actions and a weak countercurrent along the beach. The CRAP Great Lakes dumps on our once beautiful beaches is a disgrace.

Zharkaya

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2005
kids and I are going down to orlando FL in about a week. We have only a shovel and lots of energy. we want to do some treasure hunting along the beach or whatever. any suggestions?

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
The re-nourishment sand is indeed a disgrace. I was up at Wabasso and Seagrape when they were dumping it up there. It is dirty and nasty looking and smelling and the color does not fit in with the beautiful scenery of the natural sand against the water on that coast...gorgeous water !

yea, the first thing I thought was who are these decision makers dumping this stuff instead of hauling it from the sea ?
None of us treasure hunters would mind if they took about 15 ft of sand from off the coast and dumped it right on the beach now would we ?
Just as long as they tell us on which day they are going to dump it so we can be waiting and ready detector in hand :wink:

Nasty old gray stuff. Yea, I was happy the earlier rash of hurricanes got us a little deeper down too.

What I want to know is how many people hit the beaches right after that bad year, despite the authorities "closing them off".

itmaiden

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The state is so protective of its' "archeological treasures" that it prevents all but the most diligent from diving on them. However, they will indiscriminately dredge material from offshore with only minimal oversight.

There are restrictions on lights to protect the sea turtles, yet the material on the beaches is so unnatural the turtles can't dig in it, and it forms such a steep bank they can't crawl up it.

do you get the impression I'm disgusted with our engineering departments?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread