Looking for tips on hunting old swimming holes in streams

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the late 1800's through the 1900's in our area, we had swimming holes on small rivers and creeks. I want to hunt them effectively but wasn't sure how far down stream a piece of gold jewelry would go. I know it is heavy but the current can be strong during flooding also. I have heard that these could pile up in a deep hole but wasn't sure how the stream floor would change things over the years as well. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go up home in the winter (GA) To deer hunt , and relic hunt. I always start at the shallow end and work side to side, hitting both sides of the bank. We have a very rocky bottom. Most of our creeks have very sharp turns, this would be a very good place to hit. And look for large stumps, But mostly them dang cotton mouths! :tongue3: Nice buck :icon_thumright:

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always just treated them as any other site. It really depends on the site itself. I just located an old spot that was very popular in the late 1800's/early 1900's as a tourist attraction over on the East Coast and it seems to be much larger then I expected. It includes both a land and water site. For this one I'll probably grid off the land site and use a modified grid on the bottom. More then likely we'll use a hookah or "SNUBA" type set up in the water and work the entire spring area.

As soon as I'm able to get out again it should at the least be interesting as the site has been abandoned since about 1923.

Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread