Myrtle beach hunt, mb going down hill?

Greenskull!

Greenie
Jun 12, 2009
Well, im back now from my MB trip 7 days and 7 nights, i went out every morning about 4 am and hunted until 7 am. I found only beer cans, bottle caps, one junk ear ring, 2 metal tent stakes, and 3 dollars in change. So yea im a little disapointed with my finds, but now i would like to mention the other crap at MB. I have been to MB b4 and never had any problems, this time there were ppl hanging off the balconies yelling foul things, spitting on ppl, throwing water ballons, (one almost hit my md a whites dfx 300, not water proof!), drunks were everywhere, now dont get me wrong i like beer just as much as anybody, but you gotta know how to act. every time i went out ppl would yell crap at me from their hotel, shine those dumb lasers pointers on you, and some guy came up to me and accused me of finding his cell phone and not giving it back. One night my wife and i decided to go out at around 11:30pm to hunt, and when we got down the beach a ways, 2guys started pointing at us and ran over to 2 more guys and they started saying something about md, and as my wife and i went down the beach they started following us. we would cut up the beach to the hotel areas and they would too, we would walk down to the water, and they would too, then they split up in twos and tried to keep a distance, i gave up and went back to our hotel, they followed us all the way back to our hotel, so i just stopped, put down the md, took off the hp, and got out the brass knuckles,a nd just stood there and stared at them, waiting and then they murmered something and went back the way they came.

Upvote 0

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Greenskull! said:
It was just a constant worry that someone was gonna try to come up and steal my md. We hunted at night because its not as hot, and all the ppl are gone, but all the good ppl are gone and the trouble makers are there. Even the beach its self seemed more trashy then the last time i was there in 07. Beer cans laying around everywhere, condoms here and there, i love the beach, but after this trip i am not really sure i want to return. :-\ One of the pennies i found was a new log splitter penny, i didnt even know they were changing the penny until i found this one.
there are 4 new pennies this year 2 already been released to the public..2 more to go.... btw that total skull thing in your avatar is that Sherri MoonZombie's company?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
xXx said:
The finds haven't been too bad here in Myrtle Beach. In fact, I found three more rings this past week.
Whoever comes to Myrtle Beach give me a shout. I'll tell you which beach's not to hunt (the ones I hunt and do well on) ;D
Just kidding. Give me a shout and we'll all hunt together. I'm starting a new project called, "In Search Of Treasure". 50 States, 50 Hunts, 50 Shows. I sincerely hope you will all extend the same courtesy to me when I'm hunting your states.
xXx
www.InSearchOfTreasure.com

That's very generous of you xXx. :icon_thumleft:
Every time my family and I have stayed in MB there has been a bunch of young punks partying too. We had to leave the hotel in South Myrtle and head up to North Myrtle. Now we just stay at my sister-in-laws in Long's when we go.

Greenskull,
Sorry to hear your trip was ruined.
-MM-

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even when I was younger, I always thought MB was overrated. Lots of girls but the surf was never all that great. Even back then there always seemed to be clowns out that were just looking for trouble. Unfortunately we weren't much for backing down in those days and gave it to them, then landed in hot water ourselves. Kids, alcohol and drugs do not equate with common sense.

It's unfortunate that a few can ruin it for so many. You've got to wonder what kind of values their parents instiled in them.

Deepsix

OP
OP
Greenskull!

Greenskull!

Greenie
Jun 12, 2009
creeper71 said:
Greenskull! said:
It was just a constant worry that someone was gonna try to come up and steal my md. We hunted at night because its not as hot, and all the ppl are gone, but all the good ppl are gone and the trouble makers are there. Even the beach its self seemed more trashy then the last time i was there in 07. Beer cans laying around everywhere, condoms here and there, i love the beach, but after this trip i am not really sure i want to return. :-\ One of the pennies i found was a new log splitter penny, i didnt even know they were changing the penny until i found this one.
there are 4 new pennies this year 2 already been released to the public..2 more to go.... btw that total skull thing in your avatar is that Sherri MoonZombie's company?
Yes it is S M zombie co., I think it looks cool. My fav holiday is halloween, i always love to put out the scary props, and stuff.

Jun 17, 2011
Myrtle beach, sc
don't lose hope! Myrtle beach is a great place but as a local, I find that the garden city area is more family friendly sometimes. But overall, the area is great. They have made some great changes over the last couple of years. Give our beaches another try! :)

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Greenskull sorry to hear of your problems too. No one should ever bother someone who are relaxing and enjoying their vacation. Unfortunately there are young idiots and drug heads looking for trouble, especially on spring break at the beaches. I have hunted several beaches in N.C. and never run into any real problems so far, although I know it can happen at any time. I hope this experience will not stop you from enjoying this hobby in the future...STUART

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although this post originated in '09, the same probably holds true today. Greater Myrtle Beach has become kind of ghetto ee. You just about have to go south to Garden City/Surfside, or north to Ocean Drive/Cherry Grove to get away from the thugs. Try to stay away from the areas where there is lot of drinking going on. Especially if it is late at nite or early in the morning.
I know I'll be dating myself but, I have been going there since the early sixties. Yes nineteen sixties. Things have changed quite a lot!!! It's unfortunate that a few misfits have to ruin it for the majority.

pakeha63

Nov 13, 2008
Stockton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo ST
I feel for you. I live in Stockton CA which is gang infested. Never have problems because I hunt with 2 other guys. We always keep an eye on each other, and if anyone shady gets too close to one of us we head directly over, just to make sure nothing gets out of line. Trust me, all of us know how to look after ourselves, but a group of metal detectorists are more detering. Maybe you should team up with others.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I was there week b4 Memorial day this yr.... cant say I had many probs... just nuttin there to find.... same results as you....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread