Myrtle beach hunt, mb going down hill?

Greenskull!

Greenie
Jun 12, 2009
Well, im back now from my MB trip 7 days and 7 nights, i went out every morning about 4 am and hunted until 7 am. I found only beer cans, bottle caps, one junk ear ring, 2 metal tent stakes, and 3 dollars in change. So yea im a little disapointed with my finds, but now i would like to mention the other crap at MB. I have been to MB b4 and never had any problems, this time there were ppl hanging off the balconies yelling foul things, spitting on ppl, throwing water ballons, (one almost hit my md a whites dfx 300, not water proof!), drunks were everywhere, now dont get me wrong i like beer just as much as anybody, but you gotta know how to act. every time i went out ppl would yell crap at me from their hotel, shine those dumb lasers pointers on you, and some guy came up to me and accused me of finding his cell phone and not giving it back. One night my wife and i decided to go out at around 11:30pm to hunt, and when we got down the beach a ways, 2guys started pointing at us and ran over to 2 more guys and they started saying something about md, and as my wife and i went down the beach they started following us. we would cut up the beach to the hotel areas and they would too, we would walk down to the water, and they would too, then they split up in twos and tried to keep a distance, i gave up and went back to our hotel, they followed us all the way back to our hotel, so i just stopped, put down the md, took off the hp, and got out the brass knuckles,a nd just stood there and stared at them, waiting and then they murmered something and went back the way they came.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Greenskull!

Greenskull!

Greenie
Jun 12, 2009
It was just a constant worry that someone was gonna try to come up and steal my md. We hunted at night because its not as hot, and all the ppl are gone, but all the good ppl are gone and the trouble makers are there. Even the beach its self seemed more trashy then the last time i was there in 07. Beer cans laying around everywhere, condoms here and there, i love the beach, but after this trip i am not really sure i want to return. :-\ One of the pennies i found was a new log splitter penny, i didnt even know they were changing the penny until i found this one.

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your experience. I love to go the beach and usually got to Myrtle Beach at least 1 or 2 times a year. I am actully going down there in about 2 weeks for a 1 week stay. I am concerned to say the least after reading your post. Where did you stay? What was the address of your hotel? I really hope the entire area isn't like that now. I have heard a smart-a%^ comment or 2 before when I've detected but never the harrassment that your talking about, of course I haven't been there since the economy went into the tank either. I wonder if that is the reason for the meager finds?? I usually go out early in the mornings like you and at least 1 or 2 nights I will go out for an hour or 2 around midnight so I will definetly keep one eye open for the riff-raff. If you don't want to announce to the whole world where you stayed at least pm me so I can avoid the area. Thanks

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Sorry for that really sad experience. Perhaps there would be a way for the "city fathers" to see this post, it might open their eyes to the way tourists view their beach and it would certainly hurt their economy if they stopped coming to their area because of this kind of welcome! Better luck next time!

OP
OP
Greenskull!

Greenskull!

Greenie
Jun 12, 2009
We stayed at the Indigo Inn, The Indigo wasnt the problem, it was the ppl staying in the hotels around the Indigo. About 4 or 5 hotels down there is a bar right on the beach called the FLIP FLOP BAR, STAY AWAY from the beach in front and around this place, nothing but trouble awaits you there.

OP
OP
Greenskull!

Greenskull!

Greenie
Jun 12, 2009
Something i forgot to mention is that after the trouble makers got used to me coming around looking for stuff i think they started to bury beer cans in the sand for me to find, then sit back and laugh when i dig them up. Just a silly prank, but aggrevating. They only buried them down about 2 0r 3 inches so it wasnt too bad. We know all the partiers go to the north side, so thats why we tried to stay south.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heading to surfside next month,mb is about 10 min away,but i carry a big a$$ scoop that i ike to introduce myself with

954hunter

Dec 10, 2007
Ft. Laud. Fl
Detector(s) used
Excal. II
It was pretty bleakdown there. I stayed on N end by the embassy/hilton properties and findings were few and far between.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say that I am visiting from michigan and staying at surfside. I haven't had any problems and all the people were curious and didn't cause trouble. The finds are sparse, but not entirely bleak. I was out morning and evening, so I haven't seen too many drunks. Perhaps Myrtle Beach has been getting rowdier, I don't know, but there is still some bright spots.

HH
-GC

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Wow, sorry to hear about your experience.
I've lived in Myrtle Beach for about 12 years now. In fact, I work for the Sheriff's Department here in Horry County.
Let me explain what you happened to run into on your vacation. The last two weeks are always hell with the kids getting out of school and coming on their senior trips. It lasts about 3 weeks, then it's back to the families again. This happens every year, and we make hundreds of arrests over these three weeks every year.
I pretty much hunt the beach every day or night that I'm off work, so if you want to hunt with a partner while your here give me a shout. I've never had any problems, but it might have something to do with the Sheriff's Badge I have well visibly displayed on my pouch!
xXx
David

OP
OP
Greenskull!

Greenskull!

Greenie
Jun 12, 2009
xXx said:
I've lived in Myrtle Beach for about 12 years now. In fact, I work for the Sheriff's Department here in Horry County.
Let me explain what you happened to run into on your vacation. The last two weeks are always hell with the kids getting out of school and coming on their senior trips. It lasts about 3 weeks, then it's back to the families again. This happens every year, and we make hundreds of arrests over these three weeks every year.
I pretty much hunt the beach every day or night that I'm off work, so if you want to hunt with a partner while your here give me a shout. I've never had any problems, but it might have something to do with the Sheriff's Badge I have well visibly displayed on my pouch!
xXx
David
Yes i would say that sheriffs badge definetly helps! I guess we should wait until July next year then.Im not kidding you i really had all these things happen and i really felt unsafe, and im not a little guy, 6'1" 248lbs., thanks for your reply, i really appreciate it.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
xXx said:
xXx
David

I agree with this......you picked hell week.........I know because I use to be one of the drunk kids. I don't go to MB anymore.....surfing sucks there anyway.

geo

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I have hunted there for years and never had any problems. Get the lazer pointers put on and around me from time to time but if you act like you do not even see them they will mess with some one else. I to drag a big dam scoop down the beach and would use it if need be. Do not pay any attention to the punks that is all they want any way. Never feel unsafe down there when i hunt. Usually after 3am it can get a bit wild when the bars get out. have seen skinny deepers and folks making out on the beach but I do not bothe rthem and they do not bother me. Sorry you felt unsafe just get a bigger scoop and keep your chin up.

jason

OP
OP
Greenskull!

Greenskull!

Greenie
Jun 12, 2009
Yea as far as the lasers go, thats what i did, just ignore them. However when you have a group of ppl following you at a late hour, and its clear they were pointing at you and talking about you, and then began to follow you, im thinking they have something in mind other than then swapping md stories. Also i used to be in the Navy and have walked dark alleys in far off places, and know when certain signs appear trouble isnt far off. The last thing i wanted was to go back to the hotel room, and tell my wife a bunch of drunk da's took off with our $1200 md, or threw it in the ocean. Being young and or drunk should'nt excuse ppl from their behavior, or actions.

OP
OP
Greenskull!

Greenskull!

Greenie
Jun 12, 2009
Hey, anyone know anything about coins? i found a regular 1964 nickel, but it doesnt seem to have a mint stamp on it.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an FYI if you plan on Heading to Ocean City Md in June...There are a ton of kids there at that time also but I did not have any problems at all.

DAVID@RT6DETECTORS

Dec 6, 2007
Maryville, Tenn
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Quest Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are heading down in the morning. We are staying around Ocean Lakes Campground. That is south so maybe we will not have much trouble down there. :icon_pirat:

outlaws

Jun 7, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites/Minelab
I have been to Myrtle beach a couple of times this year and i think the beach re nourishment program has hindered the finds. Last time I didn't even find any trash! Going done in a couple of weeks going to try another area.

Butch

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
The finds haven't been too bad here in Myrtle Beach. In fact, I found three more rings this past week.
Whoever comes to Myrtle Beach give me a shout. I'll tell you which beach's not to hunt (the ones I hunt and do well on) ;D
Just kidding. Give me a shout and we'll all hunt together. I'm starting a new project called, "In Search Of Treasure". 50 States, 50 Hunts, 50 Shows. I sincerely hope you will all extend the same courtesy to me when I'm hunting your states.
xXx
www.InSearchOfTreasure.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread