Fresh water beach hunting.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Lasivian,

I am by no means an expert, so please take my opnion with a grain of salt (no pun intended).? From what I've gleaned from here and in talking with some beach hunters in my area (Gulf coast of FL), the issue at saltwater beaches is the salt in the water and sand, which causes interference due to the mineralization.? You of course can run into similar problems in highly mineralized soil, but at a freshwater beach I would tend to think you'll be ok.?

Good luck and HH

Kevin

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
beaches with a lot of wave action tend to concentrate denser minerals (ie black sand) in localized areas that hinder detection. Pulse detectors usually work okay in this, and so do multifrequency detectors.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm also not an expert. However I have been fresh water hunting for som nine years. All the while I've been using the same old fisher M scope. Never had any problems. I went to a local swimming area at one of our upstate south carolina lakes after church today and found one gold charm one earring and I'd say some sixty or so coins. I trust my old fisher in any fresh water in the state. Although I have had some balance problems due to minerals in some areas, I find that just slowing down and trusting my experience always gets me through. C ya, and good luck!

A

Azau

Yes, both wet saltly sand and iron particals in the sand cause problems for VLF detectors. Pulse detector will cut through that stuff and also really go deep. Pulse detectors are made for that type of hunting. I've used a lot of Vlf detectors in the conditions you mentioned. Recovery is difficult with the larger rock infested sites, unless it's loose smaller rocks or gravel you'll have your hands full getting to the target. A pulse detector wouldn't be good for freshwater, there's way too many iron targets there to distract you amd slow you down. For freshwater hunting a good Vlf disc detector will save your back believe me. Vlf's with a ground balance control will handle minerals fine in most places, there are no absolutes though. Good hunting...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread