Observation

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Hello All!
I just joined recently, but I was a posting member years ago when this was hosted privately.
I have to say, the quality of posts have improved!
I am a very analytical person, and like to get as much info as possible before making a major purchase. I am considering the purchase of both an Explorer II and an Excalibur.
The usual sources are manufacturers and retailers, who have only good things to say. Every detector is the most wonderful one on earth! BUY NOW!
So I went looking online for information.
When I found the Treasurenet forums I was surprised by the useful content and civility of the posts. My previous experience told me it would be mostly pure BS, and childish flaming.
Glad to be here among you!
And, any real world info on the Explorer II and the Excalibur would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum Littlhugger, as one of the three moderators on this site I would just like to say thanks for the observation and comments about the TreasureNet Forums. We all are working hard to maintain the reputation that TreasureNet has established over the years.
Real world on the Excalibur 1000 ? this is my tool of choice, this machine is a little on the heavy side while working the beaches. However, underwater this machine is king.

Q

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
littlehugger

like SWR said............nice after u toss the minellab stuff..............

explorer II...............best beach machine i have ever used...............but not suited for the surf, kinda built bleak for working in the surf and small waves, but does a great job

i waterproofed mine and i use fiberglass rake handels for my shafts

Heavy: yes, but can be hip mounted or back mounted...................very nice package then................suggest the 10" coil.

hope this helps

SHAFT15.jpg

ARMCUP.jpg

SHAFT16.jpg

BOXX4.jpg

COMBOWIRES1.jpg

CABLESAVER.jpg

EXCALBELT3.jpg

Attachments

• 10111.jpg
    10111.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 444
  • GRAYGHOST.jpg
    GRAYGHOST.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 460

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
SWR, Wreckdiver,
Am new to MD'ing here and have to ask what you mean by tossing the "factory stuff". I am using my Excalibur underwater and could use some advice from all of you more experienced folks. Underwater, I haven't seen a need to toss the factory stuff. Well, except to maybe shorten the coil shaft a bit since I'm usually in fairly shallow water at the moment (25 feet or less).

To Gravedigger, thanks for the pics! Learned something from them and will be tying off the cables before the next dive.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naked1, there are two schools of thought about the Minelab Excalibur, and modifications to it. First, when I purchased my Excalibur 1000, it came with the short shaft for diving. This works just fine for diving. The mod I did for diving was to simply attach a tether from the detector to my Zeagle BC, this allows me to drop the detector without fear of lousing it. This is especially important when working close into shore in the shallows and waves. This frees one had to anchor myself to the bottom over the target, and fan the bottom with the other hand.
When I first got the Excalibur I modified the detector with a home made hip mount for working the beaches. Excalibur is a little heavy out of the water so this worked out OK, but after reading all the stories about people messing up the cables, and otherwise causing malfunctions to the machines, I went back to the original configuration on the beach.

Q

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Wreckdiver,
Thanks for the input and I would have to agree with both schools of thought dependant up the type of MD'ing. I too attached a tether to the Excalibur the first time I used it (I would think that in the diving realm that would be a "no-brainer"). For underwater MD'ing, especially in those areas that you aren't supposed to MD'ing in (in my case that means anywhere in Egypt), I've removed the electronics and battery from the shaft and attached them the D-rings of my BCD on the left-hand side and tuck everything inside (I'm right-handed) and done away with the S-shaped handle altogether. Basically that leaves the coil and it's shaft as the only exposed parts of the Excalibur. In this configuration I am using the longer shaft that came with the Excalibur to distance myself (and all of the dive equipment) from the coil. The headphones just barely fit in the BCD pocket, but well enough to enter and exit the water without drawing too much attention. A standard rubber tool handle grip is installed using fusion tape on the coil shaft and has the tether attached to it to keep it from drifting away as it is almost neutrally bouyant without the electronics and battery attached. I have only tried this set up once and it seems to work alright. The only drawback that I have found is being able to see the knobs on the electronics section. With practice I think that that will become a non-issue. Still experimenting with the best set up though. Haven't found anything yet, but have done three dives on a promising area of Graeco-Roman activity. Am just gridding out the area and marking solid hits using bicycle spokes with little red flags attached to them. Am hoping to spend weekend after next out digging the 20 or so spots that I've marked as long as the weather holds. Will post what I find, if anything. And maybe a couple of Underwater Pics as well.

"Before the beginning of great brilliance, one must look foolish to the crowd" (I-ching symbol #3....Chaos) ....i.e., don't be afraid to try sumthin different, it just might actually work! ;-)

D

Doctor Detroit

I am new to beach hunting and use the Excal 1000, or will come warmer weather if I don't head south. I had my Excalibur made into a hip mount to save weight and the coil wire is taped to the shaft along the side instead of wrapped around it like in all the pictures. This cuts water resistance and save wear and tear on the wire connections I'm told.
I was advised against purchasing the Explorer II last year because of the learning curve. I didn't listen and don't use it now, plus it's heavy for me.

LOL,
Doctor Detroit

OP
OP
L

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Its very interesting reading the various comments on here by actual users. Narked1's stealth attempts are fascinating. Maybe I can adapt them to land hunting here.
There is a park here that used to be a very popular beach resort. It closed years ago, and any coins there would be silver, or obsolete, no longer made.
Problem? My state only allows hunting on the sand in parks, up to the waterline, but not in it!
Talk about grudging and spiteful.
Problem with that is, the public beach is new. The old beach is now covered in scrap slag everywhere from the local steel mills.
Only spot worth hunting is the park itself, but only stealth will do. I keep thinking of doing it at night in the rain.
Also, for these beach sites, I figure you could always approach them by water, in a little boat, bypassing the usual scrutiny at the entrances. No car in the parking lot, shouting your presence. No long walk back and forth with a detector and shovel in your hand. But I would need very strong motivation to invest in even a small boat and go boating at night, etc. Serious treasure, not just a few old coins.
Winter here, and between my 60 hour 6 day a week job and the awful weather, its pretty much time to dream and plan. All those people out there scarfing up new detectors for Christmas and having to sit for months before using them.
I know the feeling.
Sigh!
Hugger

OP
OP
L

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
When I saw SWR's comments about the Excal being uncomfortable to use, it reminded me of my first detector many years ago. It was one of those black plastic bottom of the line Radio Shack models with the built in square handle at the top of the box. Man! What an uncomfortable wrist breaker!
It worked, after a fashion, and I actually found some change etc, with it.
I had the yen to detect, but was too cheap to invest in a real detector. All the treasure mags had the glossy ads showing their latest, (and most expensive!) gold plated, triple decker, super ultra gizmo model. I did not want to blow a wad and learn I hated it.
With a start like that, its a wonder I decided to upgrade and continue. Must be the masochist in me! Hehe!
Just think, if I was a sadist instead of a masochist, I would be in management by now, and well able to afford any nice detector I wanted!
Ah, life is strange.
Hugger

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Littlehugger, I would like to know what state you are in so that I can research the specific laws for your location for you. I must caution you, Naked1 and everyone that illegal treasure hunting is not at all endorsed by us at TreasureNet. As such, please be careful and cautious in this activity, and never admit to knowingly breaking the law in an open forum, regardless of how stupid the law may seem. Enough said about that!
I have also found that using Night Vision Goggles are useful for hunting the beaches at night (during turtle nesting season), as open lights are not permitted on the beach during much of the Florida summer. Now I just need to adapt them to underwater use with a dive mask. Hmmmmmm

Happy Hunting

Q

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Wreckdiver,
Understood. Just received permission to MD underwater yesterday at a site that I've found a few things at. An old Graeco-Roman period pier. Only cost me around the average annual income of a taxi driver here. However, there are lots of strings attached. I have to pay for the dive equipment rental for the government representative that has to accompany me, whether he actually dives or not (about $15), his daily salary (about $12), "special equipment charge" for the Metal Detector (about $10), and my own diving fees (around $28....higher price because I am a foreigner). Thankfully, the area that I am interested in is only a shore dive. Would hate to see what they would want to charge for a boat! Last time I was out on a boat they charged around $30 for the day (Ouch! LOL). I don't get to keep anything that I find and it must be turned over to the government representative upon completion of the dive. If anything that I find is of real historical significance, then that will be logged with the government and should it go on display in a museum, my name will be displayed as the discoverer (yeah, right. Have never seen any names of discoverers in any musem that I've been too here.....but it's a nice thought).

Oh well, at least I get to go out and find things legally now :)

T

THC

Excal Advice

I have been hunting parallel to others using the Excal and I have knowticed a few things. The quality just doesn't seem to hold up as well as other name brand water mashines. The knobs come off too easily, the battery pod or its connector floods which causes shorts, the volume or other controls have gone bad and the like. While the depth was great while it worked, the problems just don't make up for it. Of cource the shaft is really bad. Think about it - from a production standpoint, there is no way the mashine should cost that much! The PCB is very simple and the housing... that might have cost some tooling, but with all the sold units that should be taken care of. My personal dream mashine is the Fisher CZ20. Just my personal experience. Good luck and happy hunting!

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I don't know much about this machine either but... from all I've read in the past few months. Why would you pay so much for a machine that you have to modify? I think so far I would like the CZ20 too. Another point... if the machine has had so much response about the shaft, wouldn't you think that the company would take a serious look at it and modify it themselves? Just wondering.

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
i had one back in 1995, never again, to much trouble with it breaking down,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions