Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Doctor Detroit

Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting?

Next year I would like to learn how to detect in the fresh water lakes here in Michigan. I plan on using a Excalibur 1000 which I'm told is a fine water detector. What I want to know is should a female do anything much different than what I read here?

LOL,
    Doctor Detroit

us
    The Lord Has Risen

May 2005
    Cherokee Strip
    Cibola
    107 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting?

Wear the skimpiest bikini you can find. That way no one will notice the big diamond ring you find.
    This is the day the Lord hath made we shall rejoice and be glad in it!

Apr 2005
    colorado
    4 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting?

A scuba weight belt will be of use, and I would suggest a thong also! LOL Just be careful when you bend over to dig that it doesn't cut you in half. Sorry that was wrong just wrong.
    Dano.
    I've been in lake Michigan in July and it is very cold even in summer, so wear the thong under a wetsuit.
    Specialized Tracking, Searches, Research, Huge Treasure library.
    CZ-20  Arc-geo logger  Garret's  Tessoro's  magnetometer  Spectral Analysis
    Bloodhound tracking  Helicopter services Photography etc.

Oct 2005

you should take the ferry over to wi and we both could use our 1000's and learn together.
    how long have you had your 1000?

us
    Oct 2005
    Summerville, South Carolina
    Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
    15 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I really don't think that there is anything you could do different when it come to learning this sport / hobby. Just have fun set a good example and don't break any laws. Hope that doesn't sound too boring, HH Art...

us
    Aug 2005
    Warrenton, VA
    Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
    24 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

While you have the winter and the beautiful weather...READ, READ, READ! As others have said, gender doesn't matter.( Remember, though, most of us saying that are ugly OLD men) Best advice you can get is SAFETY FIRST. If you're water detecting, take a buddy. If you're land detecting, TAKE A BUDDY!!
    This is a great hobby, but there are a lot of sicko's out there.
    My advice"
    1) Learn your machine
    2) Research your area
    3) Find a club in your area or a buddy.
    i don't care what your gender is, the advice is the same for everyone.

grizzly bare

Doctor Detroit

Thank you for the Thong advice guys. LOL. I worry about sicko's the most and carry a SW & bear spray while land hunting. I guess at a public beach with other people around just the bear spray would be enough. I do need to walk back to my truck and a big buddy would help there. I can always spray him if he tries to remove the Thong. Sorry Dano, that's wrong, just plain wrong.

LOL,
    Doctor Detroit

Nov 2004

I would sugest going early and an hour or 2 before dark. In the summer you are looking for recent drops and the early bird and the night hawks get the worms!!
    hh
    keith

Minelab Explorer II, Minelab Eureka Gold

Aug 2005
    3 times

Re: Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting

At least nobody brought up the size of your "floatation devices" as an issue

-Mike

Dec 2003
    Porter Township, Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    39155 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

As long as no Sharks or Piranas, I see no Difference What sex you are

tallpaul

get yourself an m-d-ing partner,, , when shall i come lol,,,

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3985 times

Tallpaul is right. The best protection is a male hunting partner or two. The bear spray is a good idea, thanx. I'll probably spray myself in the eyes though.

Use your female intuition for finding stuff. I know a woman that detects and I don't think she even needs batteries. When asked how she does it, she says she listens for almost a sound..... Now what the heck is that!!!!!!

I am heading out shortly for warmer beaches since my north visits are done. I hate snow.....

Sandman
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Apr 2005
    Midland Michigan
    White's MXT, Fisher CZ-20/21
    1 times

Re: Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting

Let's get back to basics...

Do WHAT different? If you told us what you are currently doing maybe we could better suggest if it should be done differently.

I am not even sure if what you are talking about pertains to metal detecting.

Aug 2005
    1 times

get yourself some wetsuit boots to wear there are a lot of sharp things and creatures with nippers in the water especially if you intend to detect around old jetties and the like also get a good long handled stainless steel scoop. good luck hope you find heaps seeya neilo
    Explorer2 finds more

Charter Member

Nov 2005
    108 times

Actually, the advice about the thong/bikini is only half joking. But I think it would backfire.
    If you are attractive enough to wear skimpy clothes on the beach without embarassment, they would be a distraction, but not like the posters said.
    The more attractive you are, the more attention you get on the beach, detector or not. But if you are attractive, and call attention to that fact, the guys are going to swarm like flies. The detector will only be a conversation device. They may ask about it, but they will really be interested in your "flotation devices"
    So, I would advise you dress down. Dress dowdy. The less attention you get, the better.
    Guys interested in you for your looks wont come around using the detector as an excuse to talk to you. But of course, there are loads of us detector guys you might run into, who really will be interested in your detector, rather than your flotation devices. They wont be so easy to discourage!
    Pepper spray is a good idea, and some sort of foot protection.
    Hugger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links