Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting?

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear the skimpiest bikini you can find. That way no one will notice the big diamond ring you find. ;D

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
A scuba weight belt will be of use, and I would suggest a thong also! LOL Just be careful when you bend over to dig that it doesn't cut you in half. Sorry that was wrong just wrong.
Dano.
I've been in lake Michigan in July and it is very cold even in summer, so wear the thong under a wetsuit.

scuba000000

Greenie
Oct 4, 2005
you should take the ferry over to wi and we both could use our 1000's and learn together. ;)
how long have you had your 1000?

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
I really don't think that there is anything you could do different when it come to learning this sport / hobby. Just have fun set a good example and don't break any laws. Hope that doesn't sound too boring, HH Art...

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
While you have the winter and the beautiful weather...READ, READ, READ! As others have said, gender doesn't matter.( Remember, though, most of us saying that are ugly OLD men) Best advice you can get is SAFETY FIRST. If you're water detecting, take a buddy. If you're land detecting, TAKE A BUDDY!!
This is a great hobby, but there are a lot of sicko's out there.
My advice"
1) Learn your machine
2) Research your area
3) Find a club in your area or a buddy.
i don't care what your gender is, the advice is the same for everyone.

grizzly bare

OP
OP
D

Doctor Detroit

Thank you for the Thong advice guys. LOL. I worry about sicko's the most and carry a SW & bear spray while land hunting. I guess at a public beach with other people around just the bear spray would be enough. I do need to walk back to my truck and a big buddy would help there. I can always spray him if he tries to remove the Thong. Sorry Dano, that's wrong, just plain wrong.

LOL,
Doctor Detroit

Statenisland Keith

Nov 7, 2004
I would sugest going early and an hour or 2 before dark. In the summer you are looking for recent drops and the early bird and the night hawks get the worms!!
hh
keith

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Re: Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting

At least nobody brought up the size of your "floatation devices" as an issue ;D

-Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as no Sharks or Piranas, I see no Difference What sex you are

T

tallpaul

get yourself an m-d-ing partner,, ;D, when shall i come lol,,,

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tallpaul is right. The best protection is a male hunting partner or two. The bear spray is a good idea, thanx. I'll probably spray myself in the eyes though.

Use your female intuition for finding stuff. I know a woman that detects and I don't think she even needs batteries. When asked how she does it, she says she listens for almost a sound..... Now what the heck is that!!!!!!

I am heading out shortly for warmer beaches since my north visits are done. I hate snow.....

Sandman

Lee-MI-MI

Apr 3, 2005
Midland Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Fisher CZ-20/21
Re: Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting

Let's get back to basics...

Do WHAT different? If you told us what you are currently doing maybe we could better suggest if it should be done differently.

I am not even sure if what you are talking about pertains to metal detecting. ::)

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
get yourself some wetsuit boots to wear there are a lot of sharp things and creatures with nippers in the water especially if you intend to detect around old jetties and the like also get a good long handled stainless steel scoop. good luck hope you find heaps seeya neilo ;D

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Actually, the advice about the thong/bikini is only half joking. But I think it would backfire.
If you are attractive enough to wear skimpy clothes on the beach without embarassment, they would be a distraction, but not like the posters said.
The more attractive you are, the more attention you get on the beach, detector or not. But if you are attractive, and call attention to that fact, the guys are going to swarm like flies. The detector will only be a conversation device. They may ask about it, but they will really be interested in your "flotation devices"
So, I would advise you dress down. Dress dowdy. The less attention you get, the better.
Guys interested in you for your looks wont come around using the detector as an excuse to talk to you. But of course, there are loads of us detector guys you might run into, who really will be interested in your detector, rather than your flotation devices. They wont be so easy to discourage!
Pepper spray is a good idea, and some sort of foot protection.
Hugger

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
As a woman detector who hunts alone the majority of the time , there are a few things that you should do...always always be aware of your surroundings.I cant say this enough. I tend to get so caught up in digging and looking and the head phones block out approaching noise....that I forget sometimes to notice whats going on around me .
I always make sure my keys are in a handy ..zipped place and have them out before I approach my vehicle. I bought a head lamp so my hands were relatively free from having to carry a light when I just had to dig till dark...
Make sure you have your cell phone and leave the area if someone becomes overly attentive...better safe than sorry.
A dog would help. Even though I don't own one, I think if I hunted in a more populated area I would get one to accompany me hunting. A Hunting buddy would be good, but even they would not be available every time you got the urge to take off.
Take a self defense class if you havent already and hey its okay to scream good and loud if you need to. There are some real freaks out there , so just be careful.
As for the thong advice....wear it under your jeans....they might come in handy if you are celebrating your finds later with someone special ;)

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
might want to think about strapping a Lesche to your leg -- not sure if you used one before but it is almost like a knife rather than a digging tool

P

pinniped

Good answers. I'm very, very new to this, but am a very experienced scuba diver. Bought a cheapo under H2O detector for my husband for Christmas. Turns out he has a very old regular one someplace with a scoop and a bag full of goodies, all from before we ever met! He is also a diver, thus the underwater rig. We are headed down to the Fla. Gulf Coast for a long weekend to visit his father, and I mentioned that I REALLY wanted to bring the MD. He sounded surprised, but seemed OK with the idea. I didn't think of bringing foot protection at all, and that makes a lot of sense.

Attachments

• PatCuddle_Small.jpg
    PatCuddle_Small.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 430

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread