Modification to Long Handled Stainless Sand Scoop

B

Big1011Guy

The bobbie pins or something smaller than 5/8" drove me crazy at my last Beach/Water Hunt. It kept falling through the 5/8" holes in the sand scoop. I decided to add a layer of 1/2" Galvanized Wire Mesh to the inside of sand scoop. I attached it with Tie Straps. I also attached some Old Computer Hard Drive Magnets to bottom of sand scoop with JB Weld and Tie Straps. I am going to try the Modified Sand Scoop out this Sat. 7/25 and if it works better I will put the JB Weld along the edges of the mesh and attach it more permanently the the Stainless Steel.
I have enclosed a couple of pictures.
Guy

Attachments

• Modification To Sand Scoop 001.JPG
    Modification To Sand Scoop 001.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 808
  • Modification To Sand Scoop 002.JPG
    Modification To Sand Scoop 002.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 1,879
Upvote 0

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I did something similar with my scoop but I used one of the little plastic sand sieves that the kids play with in the sand. I don't have a picture of mine but it works pretty well. The only thing was mine only covers the bottom and I like your idea much better where it comes up the side a little. Thanks for sharing. I am going to do this with mine!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that idea.. good one :thumbsup:

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
I 'm curious to see how it works. Looks like a good idea..

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
The computer magnets are great, The older computer hard drives have even bigger more powerful magnets. You may run ito one problem though. You mounted the magnets with the origional computer hardware. The magnets are only superglued to those 2 pieces. After they have been in the salt water or any water for that matter they will corrode, it gets ugly fast especially in sand and salt enviroments. I took mine off the backing and then used 2 part marine apoxy let it set up for a short period then put my hard drive magnet in and then epoxied over it. let harden then mounted mine to my scoop. Works great and last alot longer

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

kc10bull said:
The computer magnets are great, The older computer hard drives have even bigger more powerful magnets. You may run ito one problem though. You mounted the magnets with the origional computer hardware. The magnets are only superglued to those 2 pieces. After they have been in the salt water or any water for that matter they will corrode, it gets ugly fast especially in sand and salt enviroments. I took mine off the backing and then used 2 part marine apoxy let it set up for a short period then put my hard drive magnet in and then epoxied over it. let harden then mounted mine to my scoop. Works great and last alot longer

kc10bull, Thanks for the Idea.
Big1011Guy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the aluminum mesh used to cover rain gutters and cut it to fit the bottom 1/4 of my scoop. I folded it and cut it to fit, then glued it with marine epoxy at the mesh points. Over a year later it is still holding up. I have trapped 2 earring studs so far, but unfortunately they were not diamond.

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Treasure_Hunter said:
I took the aluminum mesh used to cover rain gutters and cut it to fit the bottom 1/4 of my scoop. I folded it and cut it to fit, then glued it with marine epoxy at the mesh points. Over a year later it is still holding up. I have trapped 2 earring studs so far, but unfortunately they were not diamond.

Thanks for the idea.
Big1011Guy

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used the flexable stick on magnets, bought a role at Norther for $1.50 put it all the way around. Will try it out Friday.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made that mod to mine last year, but used the one step finer grade. It would not clear in the real shelly areas around here like the Hammock, Flagler Beach and the river. It would probably be great for Daytona and St. Augustine where we have that powder / cement sand. Thing is you really only need it once in a while, with the escaping earring or sinker etc. I have to think of a way to be able to make one that can be inserted quickly for a hard find and then removed. The rest of the time, it is just slowing down you sand clearing.

The magnets are a cool idea, probably help me do better with my hairpin collection.

Jack

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

ReidMan said:
I used the flexable stick on magnets, bought a role at Norther for $1.50 put it all the way around. Will try it out Friday.

Sounds Good- That Should Definitely Work!!!!
Big1011Guy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions