Alternate Detector suggestions for beach water hunting

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Let me start by saying I already have an Excalibur II with a 10" coil. And while it is an excellent detector (I found two rings with it yesterday), it can be a hassle trying to adjust the sensitivity and threshold to reduce the falsing when in the water.

A few months back, I bought a BeachHunter 300 ID as a backup detector. And after using it for a few weeks, I decided I preferred it to the Excal, mainly because it is more stable (at least on the beaches I detect on), and seems to find more targets - probably because I search in all metal mode with the BH.

So I'm planning on selling my excalibur, and was thinking of getting another BeachHunter as a backup detector. But a detecting buddy suggested I use the opportunity to try another detector instead of getting two identical detectors.

So here's the question - what other high quality beach and salt water detectors would you recommend?

Or would you just get two identical detectors - with the idea of it being easier to learn one detector than two different ones.

Bill

Upvote 0

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
GuerillaBill

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Willee said:
Set the volume to about 2 O'clock.
Set the Sensitivity to about 10 or 11 o'clock.
Lift coil about 10" from the bottom and set the threshold to just barely audible buzz.

If that don't give you a stable detector send it in for repair.

Willee

Willee,

Just tried that. The threshold won't hold the buzz for more than a few seconds, then chirps and chimes and goes all over the place - whether standing still or swinging the coil.

I tried it in my backyard, and on the dry sand on the beach. Goes crazy both places. And I made sure not to have a cell phone with, no metal in my shoes, nothing electrical around.

I contacted Minelab and they said send it in for repair.

I'm shipping it to them on Monday.

Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad to see you are sending it in to be checked out. I would think long and hard before getting rid of the Excal if it was me.

Good luck either way.

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My excal had that problem and it turned out I cracked the coil. I'm rough on my machines. One new coil and it was all better. I opted for the 15 inch coil, but it's alot heavier

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab will no long do any mod work, they will not hardwire a 15 inch coil on the Excal now. I wish they would, I hunted with an Excal 1000 with the 10 inch coil this weekend, and MAN do I miss my 15" WOT Coil. 50% more coverage as I sweep, and the WOT coil is a hot coil.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The WOT coil on my waterproofed Sovereign is cracked, I had it standing up against my van in a bag while preparing to go to a beach to detect and it fell over, I did not find the crack till after I had been hunting in the water and it became unstable. I am going to take the WOT coil off of my Sovereign GT that I use for land and splice it into the waterproofed Sovereign GT. I am doing it this way because to get inside the sovereign unit to soldier the wires on the new coil I would need to remove all the knobs and the extended control shafts on the plexiglass top which I do not want to do. I do not want to do anything that might compromise the waterproof seal. I am going to cut the cable to the broken coil in side the case, then feed the new one in through the waterproof gasket seal on the bottom and splice it together by soldering it there then seal the wires using a splice seal. The inside of the case is completely waterproof.

I am getting the new 15"x18" EXcelerator Butterfly coil for my land sovereign. It is the detector I use when I am hunting beaches, but not going in the water deeper then my calf.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excal/pirate said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
The WOT coil on my waterproofed Sovereign is cracked, I had it standing up against my van in a bag while preparing to go to a beach to detect and it fell over, I did not find the crack till after I had been hunting in the water and it became unstable. I am going to take the WOT coil off of my Sovereign GT that I use for land and splice it into the waterproofed Sovereign GT. I am doing it this way because to get inside the sovereign unit to soldier the wires on the new coil I would need to remove all the knobs and the extended control shafts on the plexiglass top which I do not want to do. I do not want to do anything that might compromise the waterproof seal. I am going to cut the cable to the broken coil in side the case, then feed the new one in through the waterproof gasket seal on the bottom and splice it together by soldering it there then seal the wires using a splice seal. The inside of the case is completely waterproof.

I am getting the new 15"x18" EXcelerator Butterfly coil for my land sovereign. It is the detector I use when I am hunting beaches, but not going in the water deeper then my calf.
i must be missing somthing dont the coils on the sov have connectors imean that you can change coils

As much as I love my Excal 1000, I love my WP Sov GT with the WOT coil so much more in the water. The tones are richer, and with the WOT coil it goes deeper, is hotter and I can cover so much more area. I also have the ability to use all of the Sovereign GT options in the water if I wish.

WaterproofedGT1.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

WaterproofedGT2.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions