SALT OR FRESH

deepbeep

Jun 11, 2009
Bolivar, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Are most of you guys hunting beaches, hunting the coastal beaches, or are many of you having success on inland lake beaches? Just curious. I have hunted relics and old coins at homesteads, basement holes, and old parks for 25 years. I just got a sand scoop and I am going to head for my first beach this weekend. I have been reading all the shallow water/beach posts and have decided to give it a try.

Thanks, Tim

Upvote 0

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh water lakes, swimming holes, etc. are GREAT!!!!

In the mid 90's we found a spot that was very popular with tourists around the turn of the century. The whole area was taken out by a hurricane in the 20's and never rebuilt for various reasons. It has produced some super finds. Another spot in the Tampa area was popular when I was a kid and I went there swimming many times. It had arcades, rafts and a dive platform. Now the lake is surrounded by private homes and condos. The only access is by canoe from across the lake and we have to stay off of the land. No problem, we work from the canoe and it also produces things from the 50's back. The only issue we have in this lake is the alligator population. Some of the idiot residents feed them and they have lost their fear of humans. We've only actually been forced out of the water twice but none the less the problem is there.

There are many old swimming areas that were pretty swinging places in their time and hunting is great. Good luck and have a great time!!!!

Deepsix

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt fresh water in OH, MI and IN. Some I do great in and other not so good. Just have to find where everyone swims at.....Matt

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: well since there are no oceans in Arizona (regardless of what George Strait says lol) I hunt rivers an lakes mostly the Colorado river.....just gotta get wet an get at it ,find the people find the treasures.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepsix47 said:
Fresh water lakes, swimming holes, etc. are GREAT!!!!

Another spot in the Tampa area was popular when I was a kid and I went there swimming many times. It had arcades, rafts and a dive platform. Now the lake is surrounded by private homes and condos. Deepsix

Was the dive platform multi levels? I use to go to one when I was a kid living in Tampa that had one. I think, and it is just faded memory, but it was called Lake Egypt, and it was off Waters ave. Dive platform was something like 5 or 6 platform high, use to dive off the top platform when I was young and stupid.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter, I think we were all young and definely stupid. At least I know I was.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
If you´re in Europe, you have to look first to see how old the fresh water is, as often the lakes are man made as a result of sand, gravel, or coal open cast mining. If they´re natural, then they´re well worth checking out, as are rivers, BUT, be carefull, most countries in Europe require permits to hunt, and there are hefty fines, and even jail terms for those who hunt without one !! But the finds can be anything from Celtic, Roman, Middle Age, the World Wars, right upto the present.
Salt water is more the place to find modern day coins, and lots of gold and silver jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread