Best beach scoop...?

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need a new scoop, my ole hand held is about to fall apart. That being said I am leaning towards the ... rtg pro royal S.S. scoop. I have been finding a lot of targets deep and the hand scoop is just not made for the wet heavy packed sand, no real shells to deal with but like the longer bucket... anyone use one? A lil feed back? Thanks

Attachments

• rtg5halfscoop2mini.jpg
    rtg5halfscoop2mini.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,670
Upvote 0

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI
Depends if you are hunting dry sand or in the water.

I use a scoop with a screen in the dry sand and a diamond head in the water. I like the open screen in the dry sand, it is a whole lot easier to sift the sand out. Even when I am hunting surfline, it isn't difficult to shake out wet sand. The only disadvantage is really small targets will fall through, but those are few and far between.

HH
Digger

Attachments

• dry scoop small.JPG
    dry scoop small.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,304
  • wet scoop 003 small.JPG
    wet scoop 003 small.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,374
  • dry scoop small.JPG
    dry scoop small.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,098
  • wet scoop 003 small.JPG
    wet scoop 003 small.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,097

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Beach Brute II, a great scoop. See picture and dimensions below.

XXX Strength Aircraft quality Aluminum scoop, a no-slip foot pad on back.

A 2-part handle design for ease of portability when traveling and space is tight.

All welded construction for strength.

Overall basket size: 12.0 deep x 8.5 wide x 6.0 inches high, total handle and basket length is approximately 57 inches, weight 4.9 lbs.

beachbrute.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Sunspot Stealth for wet sand and water wading. It's basket is huge and has many holes to sift the sand very fast. Small holes up front and back to stop the earring studs and small charms. Has a strong wood handle that keeps the scoop floating upright so you can let go of it.

Attachments

• sunspotscoops.gif
    sunspotscoops.gif
    24 KB · Views: 3,194
  • sunspotscoops.gif
    sunspotscoops.gif
    24 KB · Views: 3,088

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
2 out of 3!

This is the scoop I use it works great in the water, pretty good on the dry (kinda heavy) and probably as good as any in the wetsand where most just scoop and fling. Its pretty light except when full of sand.

Steve :-)

Attachments

• right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 1,628
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 2,762
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 1,177
  • right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    right front quartering view resized Rev C.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 1,032
  • rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,085

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
I have the RTG 5" stainless steel scoop in the 1st post.. Been abusing it on the California beaches for about 5 years. I've flexed the handle just a bit on some deep gravelly digs, but have yet to bend or break it.

It's tough but heavy, wouldn't hunt a beach without it. I can almost always get my target in a single scoop.

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been thru a few alum sand flea rakes when I fish for Pompano in just the last year... the alum flexes then just lets go... I don't care about easy draining since I usually dump it and kick it around and in the water I'm sure it will drain fine. I have a thinner S.S. hand scoop and it bent first day of use. The sand around Daytona can be packed and its not fun to try to dig a foot deep sometimes.

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Re: 2 out of 3!

kaptainkosmic said:
This is the scoop I use it works great in the water, pretty good on the dry (kinda heavy) and probably as good as any in the wetsand where most just scoop and fling. Its pretty light except when full of sand.

Steve :-)
what brand is that, looks kinda like the stealth

outlaws

Jun 7, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites/Minelab
I have one that looks just like it but I can't say for sure it is that brand. I have had it for several years and I like it for wet sand.

Butch

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kaptainkosmic thats a sweet scoop you got there ,I'd use the hell outa that one down here on the river ..... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been leanin towards the rtg brand, this one is a lil longer nose than the regular. I just gotta get the wife to go along she's still kinda po'd since I plunked down the coin for a new dual field. The big blisters are helpin my argument though...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sunspot scoop has two sizes that I forgot to mention. but I like that screened jobbie.

Attachments

• Sunspot scoops 2.jpg
    Sunspot scoops 2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,658

Stickmarsh

May 17, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur & Sovereign
I recommend the RTG 6" Monster Stainless Steel Water Scoop. I bought this scoop from Kevin Reilly a year ago. It is weighs 7 pounds with an 11" X 6" bucket. It is designed for serious water use.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
The two best scoops I've ever used (and I've had plenty) are the sunspot scoop and my current scoop, which is the one pictured by kaptainkosmic which I grabbed off of ebay for around 150. I think it is a pro/scoop... revision "c" if i remember correctly.

I ended up selling my sunspot to a friend of mine... and somehow he could never find it to get it back to me...

My advice - get a LARGE scoop. the bigger the scoop, the easier it is to recover targets in the water. I had a 5" diameter scoop, that i'd end up digging 4 or 5 times in the same spot, while the water filled the hole. With the bigger scoops, you can usually recover the targets on the first or second try... no more fighting the water. I'd also recommend a wooden handle... they float the scoop upright so if you let it go it doesn't disappear.

good luck and hh
steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread