Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one that I haven't taken in the water yet. I paid $90 brand new for it. Ignore the part in the manual where it says a slower sweep works better. The opposite is true. A faster swing hits better...at least when I was testing it. I don't think I would use it as a primary water detector, but I just needed a cheap one to occasionally put in the water. I think the newer ones have an upgraded cap for the battery compartment, as mine wasn't the same as the one in the manual.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my opinion, butttttt I would Save your money and buy a real detector.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your money. There are many detectors by major manufactures that are much better.

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a detector that isn't up to the task?

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: thanks for the input folks looks like I'll mark this one off the possible list ,thanks Tank

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is a good idea.

I have seen good surf/underwater detectors from big-name companies on Craigslist for real decent money....most of them with a lot of extras.

Like I said...the only reason I bought one, was it was only $90, and I just needed an ocassional water machine for now.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandman, u need to tell them the rest of that very true saying u have.........do not hold back, it is a great statement

viper trident............i am amazed that anyone would even consider this piece of c- - p, and Jon, a man who owns MXT - F75, how he could consider something like this.

why a company who has a reputation for selling good detectors would even list this fine machine is yet another thing that amazes me.

now tank69, u have done just fine by taking it off your list.

i do not mean to be venting.........forgive me

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it was with the buy one get one deal.

I didn't need another land detector, as I have 2 Whites 6000di pro's, the MXT, and a Fisher F75.

And....If you look at reviews of those detectors on the internet....there is just about as much negative reviews as there are for the Viper Trident. I know that it is little more than a "Radio Shack" detector, but I need a detector for a specialized reason, that can get wet.

You would think that the F75 was junk by reading the reviews! I realize though that someone that doesn't understand the F75's controls could make it useless REAL quick by messing with the controls....And the manual was useless....even after they sent me one in English to replace the Spanish one that came with it! :wink:

When I get serious about surf detecting I'll buy a Whites water machine.

I understand the biggest problem with the Viper is it getting water passed the seals, and shorting it out....but it came with a 5-year waranty, so I'll just send it back if it breaks.

Like I said....I wouldn't use it if I wanted to do any serious water hunting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jon,

Sorry if it appeared that way, you really don't need to justify to us why you bought it. You bought it cheap to use once in a blue moon.

Tank asked opinions on it for a full time water machine, and we gave our honest opinion. My opinion was based on my owning it for 24 hours after buying it at Kellyco. I bought it, took it home used it for one day on dry land only and knew right away I wanted nothing to do with it, in my opinion it was worthless and I wanted a real detector. I returned it the next day, minus the restocking fee, and bought a Whites Beach Hunter ID. I traded the BH ID in on a Sovereign GT a year later after the BH ID leaked twice in the battery compartment. One of my best deals to date I got a $500 trade in on it after using it for a year. LOVE the Sovereigh GT. :icon_thumright:

Good Luck, And Good Hunting..............

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would say buy a good used machine! jon, i would be interested in your review of the trident.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter...No need to say sorry...I'm of the same opinion that it would not make a good primary water machine.

Seeker41...I have only "yard tested" it so far. I did notice that it appeared to have a different style of battery cover than what was shown in the manual. I guess they are trying to improve on it. It didn't have much depth on the higher discrimination, but it increased with lower discrimination settings.

It is a cheap feeling machine, and I could see it having problems if someone tried to use it as a main machine...but as a backup, or occasional water machine....and providing you didn't pay anything close to retail for it...I think it is ok. ;D

I would definately buy a used high-level water machine for serious use!

When I finally get it in the water, I'll report back. I think the key is to make sure all the o-rings are not twisted on the openings, and not get those headphones in the water!!! Even the Whites seem to leak!

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
run as fast as you can from it ......... Guzz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions