little problem with the BHID

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
I cannot get my BHID to ground balance either. I do exactly like it tells me to and i hear no differece........and tried it every condition...wet/dry.......so a year later I just leave it in the middle and have had no problems in finding good stuff!
There was a post on this topic somewhere on t-net already with other comments if you can find it. :tongue3: :tongue3:

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup haven't heard of one that will ground balance yet. I always tell everyone to run it in the middle and you will be good to go. At least thats what the tech at Whites told me LOL.....

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
MT Pockets said:
MIKET :

You had to go there.... :D Now I'll get Bashed good for this One.. Hahaha...

What you need is a MINELAB EXCALIBUR.... Say goodbye to all of those issues.. :icon_sunny: :dontknow: :help: :hello: :tongue3: ::)

Just Kiddin ::) :laughing9:

from what i read about minelab excalibur is plenty of battery problems........buying new battery packs and having to charge the pack every day! naaaa not for me...i get plenty of life out of the batteries in my BHID. just load up and go! and turn on and go! very easy / very simple and i find good stuff too..well the past few months anyways since i`ve been going at night instead of mornings.
well happy hunting everyone! :tongue3:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
miket said:
MT Pockets said:
MIKET :

What you need is a MINELAB EXCALIBUR.... Say goodbye to all of those issues.. :icon_sunny: :dontknow: :help: :hello: :tongue3: ::)

from what i read about minelab excalibur is plenty of battery problems........buying new battery packs and having to charge the pack every day! naaaa not for me...i get plenty of life out of the batteries in my BHID. just load up and go! and turn on and go! very easy / very simple and i find good stuff too..well the past few months anyways since i`ve been going at night instead of mornings.
well happy hunting everyone! :tongue3:

Change battery pack every day not really an issue, I usually got about 9 to 12 hours out of a battery back before changing or recharging, I don't wait till it is dead, and I always carry the AA battey pod with me as emergency spare. Maybe it is because of the 27 freq that it uses power faster, I don't know. I know the BHID has only 2 freqs.

The Excal uses a DD coil (more coverage), while the beachhunter uses a concentric coil, where the search field narrows with depth. I had a beach hunter and I liked it, but mine leaked twice in the battery compartment while under warranty and I got tired of that and traded it in on a ML Sovereign GT with a WOT coil.

The fact the Minelabs null on iron is a nice advantage for me...............

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten a few emails from guys that can't get the BHID 300 to Ground balance. I told them to call Whites and ask about it or just leave the control in the middle. I also use a Excal and don't have to GB out the iron minerals and it is almost as deep as a PI without digging to China for bobby pins. You'd think Whites would design a water detector that wouldn't leak too. You also NEVER hear of a Fisher 1280, CZ-20 or 21 ever leaking, nor a Tesoro.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Quite a while back there was a White's recall on a batch of defective BHIDs that had gasket issues.

This was on the original BHID models with the 9.5 coils. An updated gasket was then used on the rest of the original BHIDs coming out of the factory.

The new Beach Hunter 300 doesn't have that gasket issue. I have no problems GBing my 300 and most of the time it's very smooth.

In the rare occasion (for me) if I'm in a difficult area I just leave it in the middle setting digging very deep down signals.

:thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indasurf said:
Quite a while back there was a White's recall on a batch of defective BHIDs that had gasket issues.

This was on the original BHID models with the 9.5 coils. An updated gasket was then used on the rest of the original BHIDs coming out of the factory.

The new Beach Hunter 300 doesn't have that gasket issue. I have no problems GBing my 300 and most of the time it's very smooth.

In the rare occasion (for me) if I'm in a difficult area I just leave it in the middle setting digging very deep down signals.

:thumbsup:

My problem was over two years ago and could have been part of the recall problem.

I did as stated here and left the ground balance in the middle position. I do believe it was Mr Sandman who told me to do that.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
[/quote]
My problem was over two years ago and could have been part of the recall problem.

I did as stated here and left the ground balance in the middle position. I do believe it was Mr Sandman who told me to do that.
[/quote]

Yep, that would have put the machine right in the recall period. White's was fast with the notice to have them serviced and upgraded.

The new gaskets were upgraded to a different color around that time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[/quote]

Yep, that would have put the machine right in the recall period. White's was fast with the notice to have them serviced and upgraded.

The new gaskets were upgraded to a different color around that time.

I sent it in twice, and they replaced the battery compartment both times, but never said anything about a recall. Maybe mine was before they acknowledged the problem.
[/quote]

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hey Sandman,
Glad to have you back! Since I talked to you last, I acquired a CZ 21 also. The Tesoro is working out well for me on the beach but I haven't Quite got the hang of it in the water yet. The CZ21 doesn't seem to want to detect gold for some reason. I've tried all the settings and it barely shows on my girlfriends jewelry. Got any advice?
Aquanut

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishenfool,

I have been using the BHID for over 2 years (first the 9.5-inch version and now the 300 version). This is an excellent beach machine and with the new coil it will go very deep!

The ground balance technique takes time to learn but it works. I have not had any problems with this. I also have an excal-2 and like it too! Both are my favorite beach machines.

Below is what I do to GB my BHID300. Hope this helps!

HH!
Moe

1. Standing in area you want to detect (make sure there are no metal objects below coil)
2. Make sure detector is off
3. Make sure toggle switch is on DISC mode
4. Make sure Ground dial is at lowest setting
5. Make sure Sensitivity dial is at Batt Chk setting
6. Turn Threshold dial half way until you hear hum
7. Turn Sensitivity until P setting
8. Turn Ground dial to half way
9. Pump the detector (4) times without touching the ground (going up and down 1-inch to 10-inches above ground)
10. Turn toggle swith to ALL METAL mode
11. Pump the detector (4) times without touching the ground (going up and down 1-inch to 10-inches above ground)
12. Turn Sensitivity dial all the way to MAX
13. Pump the detector (4) times without touching the ground (going up and down 1-inch to 10-inches above ground)
14. After this last pump keep the coil close to ground (1-inch or less) for about 5-10 seconds. First it will be silent and then you will hear the detector hum
15. At this point it helps to have a metal object you can sweep over. Use a coin or your scoop handle.
16. While sweeping over the metal object slowly adjust the Sensitivity dial down just below MAX until you hear the detector sound clearly over the metal artifact
17. Sweep over the object a few times adjusting the Sensitivity until the sound is loud and clear
18. If the detector sounded over the metal you are done

Sometimes depending on ground conditions you may have to adjust the Ground dial right or left until it feels stable. The Threshold dial can be set to where you barely hear it or louder (personal preference).

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Moe, thanks for the excellent setup/grounding tips!!! :thumbsup:

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,264931.0.html -tell him what he needs is a bhid300 ... :tongue3: ------ but we bought 4 bhid300`s and all 4 went back for repair. one went twice. this was all in 1 years` time.

MT Pockets said:
MIKET :

miket said:
I cannot get my BHID to ground balance either. I do exactly like it tells me to and i hear no differece........and tried it every condition...wet/dry.......so a year later I just leave it in the middle and have had no problems in finding good stuff!
There was a post on this topic somewhere on t-net already with other comments if you can find it. :tongue3: :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread