Trying to Decide, Sea Hunter II or Whites Duel Field??

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to make my mind up for either the Sea Hunter II or the Whites Duel Field. The amount to digging that comes with the PI units won't be a bother. I just want to make the best decision for the money and if I get the right detector the money won't matter because I'll be happy with it. I'll be hunting the Florida panhandle and maybe some at Myrtle beach now and then. Thanks for the help.

Tim

Upvote 0

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good topic guys and as always some polarizing thought.
Just a thought but I've been using my Garrett xl500 for 23 years, thats right, 23 years and have NEVER had a problem or failure. I changed out the rechargeable and went to std. batt's.
I never use discrimination and all I hunt is fresh water. You will no doubt learn every noise that can come from your detector, just takes time.......
I guess it's been paid for many, many times over.

pistolpete

Jan 23, 2006
Fort Erie,Ontario,Canada
Detector(s) used
1280,excal,pi pro,sea hunter 2,x terra 70
Two weeks ago I would have said the Sea Hunter. Now I say go for the dual field. goes deeper than the Garrett. I use my dual field on a scuba shaft with a hookah and have dug some incredibly deep targets in the last couple of weeks! The downside to the White's is that the coil floats but I can deal with it seeing the finds I'm making where I've already been with the Garrett

Attachments

• 050 [].JPG
    050 [].JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,405
  • 051 [].JPG
    051 [].JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,399

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JackInFlorida said:
Sandman said:
but the Whites PI Pro and Beach Hunter's leak.

Jeez Sandman, can't believe you would say that. I've never heard anyone say that before. Only when they have changed batteries on the beach and got sand in the seal. I learned from their mistakes to never do that.

I scuba dive and work up to neck deep with mine. Almost 3 years and never a leak. You can also use this thing to pound in nails too, it's a pretty heavy duty piece of equipment.ght
I am sorry, I should have said the older ones with the black O rings could leak if you weren't careful with keeping sand off the O ring. I bought a new BHID300 and just couldn't take the floating coil. Would like to get a Dual Field, but hear that coil wants to float too. I have used a sand filled sock or a diver's ankle weight to help hold it down before. I've used the Infinium Many times before, but never owned one so I'll probably get one of those next. Or I will wait till next spring to se what new detector comes out. :D
I remember using the 1280 and letting go of it while diving and the detector floated to thesurface.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The-Bone said:
one last thing worthy of mentioning is speed....you can swing the BHID a whole lot faster than the minelabs

Minelabs will tell you when you have gold by iron, PLUS Minelab coils do NOT float..................Both BHID and 300 coils float..

I have heard from a Garrett user that he has had major problems with his Infinium LS, he is constantly sending it in for repair, it is under warranty so they repair it for no cost, but he still has to pay for shipping and is with out it while it is constantly being repaired.

I was thinking of getting one as a backup for the winter when there are few fresh drops, but after talking to him I don't see myself getting one.

D

digum smacks

dual field!!! just got the machine heres what i found only 2 things about this detector #1 its a pi,but so is the garrett,so thats out #2 the coil floats this detectors only flaw

Attachments

• plat.jpg
    plat.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,356
  • 14k.jpg
    14k.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,355
  • 14k 925.jpg
    14k 925.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,365
  • 18k.jpg
    18k.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,359
  • 10k.jpg
    10k.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,368
  • gold band.jpg
    gold band.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,359
  • chain.jpg
    chain.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,335

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Treasure_Hunter said:
The-Bone said:
one last thing worthy of mentioning is speed....you can swing the BHID a whole lot faster than the minelabs

Minelabs will tell you when you have gold by iron, PLUS Minelab coils do NOT float..................Both BHID and 300 coils float..

I have heard from a Garrett user that he has had major problems with his Infinium LS, he is constantly sending it in for repair, it is under warranty so they repair it for no cost, but he still has to pay for shipping and is with out it while it is constantly being repaired.

I was thinking of getting one as a backup for the winter when there are few fresh drops, but after talking to him I don't see myself getting one.

It's very unfortunate about the defective Infinium that had to go back for service, but to be fair I've also read about new Excals going back for multiple issues too.

I've had my Infinium for over 2 years without any problems and it runs smooth as silk, and if you go to the Infinium forums you'll see that many others have no issues running their machines.

Many new users have trouble learning to ground balance the detector and might not use the best coil for the area being searched.

There's also plenty of help in the forums for new Infinium users to get over the hurdle.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BootleggerJim

Jan 30, 2009
SC in the ACE Basin
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT/Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Panama City has the most trash of any beach I've seen.....I hunted this summer w/Sea Hunter II.....the machine is great, does what it's supposed too,,,,I dug 2 China men, let them go,,,,, Try the lagoon at the state park in the dark.........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indasurf said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
The-Bone said:

It's very unfortunate about the defective Infinium that had to go back for service, but to be fair I've also read about new Excals going back for multiple issues too.

I've had my Infinium for over 2 years without any problems and it runs smooth as silk, and if you go to the Infinium forums you'll see that many others have no issues running their machines.

Many new users have trouble learning to ground balance the detector and might not use the best coil for the area being searched.

There's also plenty of help in the forums for new Infinium users to get over the hurdle.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Indasurf, I did not mean to imply all Infiniums are bad, only that when I mention looking for a used one for me a friend I talked to for advice on them advised me against it, based on his experiences with his, he could not recommend them.

His problems have not been ground balancing, but rather bad electronics. When a friend recommends not buying a detector he already owns and has had lots of problems with, it's kinda hard to go ahead and over look their opinion.... He has years of experience detecting, owned several different detectors from several different manufactors, so I do value his opinion...

I have owned 2 Excals in the last 3 years, one has been to the shop twice, once becasue one side of the headphones stopped working, 2nd time because the coil cracked. It is over 5 years old so I can except that.............

Instead of looking for a PI, I think I will look for a WOT for My Excal to go with my Waterproof Sovereign with WOT. I just hate hunting with the tiny 10 inch coils.............

All is good..... :icon_thumright: In

D

digum smacks

i dont care what anyone says the infinium is one of the best machines i've ever owned!!!

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a DF so thats what I use, friend just bought an excall 1k heavy, thats for sure, wouldn't wanna swing that all day... Never used an INF... I just hear a lot of stories of troubles with the ML. If ya don't go over it, ya won't find it no matter what the machine...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S.S.Tupperware said:
I own a DF so thats what I use, friend just bought an excall 1k heavy, thats for sure, wouldn't wanna swing that all day... Never used an INF... I just hear a lot of stories of troubles with the ML. If ya don't go over it, ya won't find it no matter what the machine...

SS, you use a straight shaft and a harness, I have one and I can swing Excal all day with no problems at all and I'm 61. My legs tire out after about 10-12 hours of detecting but my arm is fine........In fact the harness is so valuable to me I carry a spare in my van at all times......I have 6 detectors, the only detectors I don't use the harness on is my 6000 PRO XL and the Classic ID.....I use it on both Sovereigns, Excal, and Fisher 1235X

lejermonModel-Sharness-1.jpg

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I have an old xl200 that has seen better days, yet it is still fun to use.
Never got it wet, so far.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Since you mentioned using it here in Myrtle Beach I have to throw in my opinion.
I've lived in Myrtle Beach for the past 12 years and have used every machine on the market on the beaches here.
Without going into a LOT of detail, I have to say go with White's. You'll be the VERY most happiest all around. I do have a SeaHunter Mark II, but it just doesn't have the stability of the White's. Both are good machines, don't get me wrong. The Garrett does give off false signals EVERY time a wave comes in, which the White's doesn't do. The Minelab Excal will not give those false signals like the Garrett either.
SO, I guess I have to say I choose Whites first, with Minelab coming in a VERY close second and I'd put the Garrett at the bottom of the list.
Just my opinion.
xXx

OP
OP
TimC (North Alabama)

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys, I finally made my mind up and done the only thing I knew to do which was to buy the Excal. II, the Infinium LS with the 8 and 14" mono coils, and the Whites Duel field. I plan to give them a hard drive on my vacation next week. I bought the wife a Kendell (electronic computer book thingy), she loves to read :read2: and just so we eat out several times I will be free to spend the week on the beach and early mornings at low tide. Gulf Shores, AL is full of historic sites and plenty of stuff waiting to be found. I'll try to remember to snap plenty of pics.
:hello2: :hello2:

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
TimC (AL) said:
Well guys, I finally made my mind up and done the only thing I knew to do which was to buy the Excal. II, the Infinium LS with the 8 and 14" mono coils, and the Whites Duel field. I plan to give them a hard drive on my vacation next week. I bought the wife a Kendell (electronic computer book thingy), she loves to read :read2: and just so we eat out several times I will be free to spend the week on the beach and early mornings at low tide. Gulf Shores, AL is full of historic sites and plenty of stuff waiting to be found. I'll try to remember to snap plenty of pics.

If I read this right and you bought THREE top notch machines...then you should take that opportunity to test all three head-to-head on undug beach targets. Keep notes. Make sure that only one machine at a time is ON. A perfect experiment in the making. Good luck. - Jim

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well. never thought I'd stray from my Sea Hunter PI but I did and purchased the Dual Field.
WHAT A FREEKIN' MONSTER!
This unit goes way beyond anything else, the "bouyant head" is a non-issues and yes, you'd better be prepared to dig. But then isn't that why we go out?

So, buy a heavy scoop, something resembling an old Miller, and go out and dig some deep holes. It doesn't lie!

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
TimC (AL) said:

I can't even save my pennies for one MD, and you got three high end ones? :o
When you decide to get rid of the other two, you can donate the Excal 2 to me and be my hero forever :thumbsup: ;D
Back to the penny jar I go.. sigh :crybaby2:

Have fun playing with all three, come back with a review for them when you test them out.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
All things being equal?

Are we comparing the DF vs SH2 with the 8" coil or DF vs SH2 with 14" coil? Big difference...

SYKO, how are you going with those detectors, which one's better?

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
There all great, but with PI you know, dig dig dig. How many really can tell the difference from a peace of iron and a gold ring when its down 8". What machine works best? Are you talking about being in two feet deep saltwater or more. Are you looking for jewelry or relics? Are you doing the wet sand? Are you moving from the wet sand into the surf? All this can make a big difference in what detector I would use. Hey don't forget the CZ 21!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread