Trying to Decide, Sea Hunter II or Whites Duel Field??

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to make my mind up for either the Sea Hunter II or the Whites Duel Field. The amount to digging that comes with the PI units won't be a bother. I just want to make the best decision for the money and if I get the right detector the money won't matter because I'll be happy with it. I'll be hunting the Florida panhandle and maybe some at Myrtle beach now and then. Thanks for the help.

Tim

Upvote 0

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No one mentions that the dual field is a motion detector and that sucks when you are fighting the waves, I sold mine after a fair 30 day trial and went back to using my Sea Hunter. Also, when you use discrimination you also effect the depth, never good in the water and sand.
Every one will form their own opinions as clearly shown here, bottom line you have to be diligent and dig. At the end of the day it comes down to number of targets/trash/junk jewelry/gold. I like to use 2% as an average.
Besides, this is the 27th year on my XL500 and I still love it. Hey, it just keeps paying.

Attachments

• SnapShot.jpg
    SnapShot.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 554

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
one last thing worthy of mentioning is speed....you can swing the BHID a whole lot faster than the minelabs

Correct if you hunt in Discriminate But Not true if you hunt in the PP mode with the excalibur, recover time is instant

Have fun playing with all three, come back with a review for them when you test them out.

To do a compare of all detectors on one beach and say this is the best of the pack maynot be true 20 miles down the road...much less different states..... each detector has it's place. But a review would be interesting.....

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
You are correct beachnut, and while the Ex is a great machine I am not so confident in it's ability to stand up to the wear and tear of marine use. I have heard of alot of time spent in the shop. As far as the PI not being sensitive to gold, it's all in learning to use it. The response is very soft sweet and oh so nice!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny you would say that because I was thinking of putting the excal in a waterproof bag, in a backpack....winter project...

Why would one do this? I got some real intense hunting coming, and I just want to insure I don't lose it...in more ways then one...

I agree on the PI's and Gold..Craig PI is a perfect example

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JackInFlorida said:
Sandman said:
but the Whites PI Pro and Beach Hunter's leak.

Jeez Sandman, can't believe you would say that. I've never heard anyone say that before. Only when they have changed batteries on the beach and got sand in the seal. I learned from their mistakes to never do that.

I scuba dive and work up to neck deep with mine. Almost 3 years and never a leak. You can also use this thing to pound in nails too, it's a pretty heavy duty piece of equipment.

Most of the leaks were with the older black O rings. The newer Orange ones are a tad larger and seal better. However when someone complains their detector leaks, we never know how it is treated or even if they use silicone grease on the O ring. Only complaint I have with White's water detectors is the coil floats to much for my comfort. But this is easiely solved with a sand filled sock on the coil or shaft. Then you can remove it for dry sand searching for light weight.

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
I too had that problem...whitch is deeper...i chose the duofield. and have it now ....hurricane irene is coming...lets pray it works well...thanks to craig PI....you wont find nothing if the detector is sitting in the corner...waiting for you to get off your butt...so have another beer or get out there and dig....HH,,....good luck to all....

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
My Whites Pi Pro did not leak w/ the orange gasket for the 1st two years after that , the way the latches are made they seem to weaken , and the unit will flood even w/ brand new gaskets and even w/ silicon . My Duel field is not leaking yet ,but we will know more as time passes and the latch starts to loosen . Hope this helps and good luck with your detecting.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
herb n surf said:
My Whites Pi Pro did not leak w/ the orange gasket for the 1st two years after that , the way the latches are made they seem to weaken , and the unit will flood even w/ brand new gaskets and even w/ silicon . My Duel field is not leaking yet ,but we will know more as time passes and the latch starts to loosen . Hope this helps and good luck with your detecting.

You must have had a bad latch. My SM2 and SM PI are both over 10 years old, and there is ZERO weakening of the latches. It takes some serious effort to close them. As long as the o-ring is good and there isn't sand, etc in the channel, I can't see how it could leak.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread