Question for excal users

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I'm only on my first week in the water with my excal. I've hunted dry sand for a few months so I'm getting used to the machine. I'm having a problem in the water and wonder if anyone else does. I have an excal II. I seem to do ok with it until I get in water that is about 6" deeper than my electronic parts. Once I get to that depth I get lots of erratic signals. I have the sensitivity at 11 o'clock, disc at 1, volume all the way up and the buzzing just loud enough to hear. Any thoughts???

Upvote 0

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that problem one time. My problem was because I didn't have the cap (the part with the cable and contacts) screwed down all the way on the battery pack, another words when it went under water there was water entering at the contact point. I added marine silicone gel, in which is recommended in the owners manual, to the battery contacts and screwed it on tighter. The erratic noise stopped when it was immersed in water. If that doesn't solve the problem contact minelab to send it end. It might have another problem.

I hope the problem isn't anything serious. I know it stinks to lose detecting time.

Night Hunter

Jul 30, 2009
Turn your sensitivity down, I have two excals and I cannot run the sensitivity above 4 with either one while in the water. On a very calm day I might be able to run it at 6, but no more. While in the water you will still hit deep targets with the sensitivity low. Make sure to keep your coil on the sand, lifting it up can cause the excal to give false signals.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure battery is tight, just don't over tighten. Place a little silicone grease on the batery posts. (Not glue)

Try turning the sensitivity down more and see if that helps. I usually run mine between 11 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the dial. Set it where it is stable.

Just my personal opinion, but why are you running disc at all on a Excalibur? If you get a good signal N-S and E-W dig it. I never run disc on mine.

Gulf Hunter

Jan 12, 2007
Galveston Co., Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 800s
Treasure_Hunter said:
Make sure battery is tight, just don't over tighten. Place a little silicone grease on the batery posts. (Not glue)

Try turning the sensitivity down more and see if that helps. I usually run mine between 11 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the dial. Set it where it is stable.

Just my personal opinion, but why are you running disc at all on a Excalibur? If you get a good signal N-S and E-W dig it. I never run disc on mine.

I believe he has the sensitivity set to the lowest Discrimination setting at 1. I would also recommend using silicone grease on the ikelite sealing gasket and setting the Sensitivity back to about 1 o'clock. GH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread