Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Surfmaster PI yesterday. I stopped on the way home and picked up some silicon grease to use on the gasket and O rings. It seems the only one I forgot was where the cord plugs into the coil. I had the coil wet for about 3 minutes and everything goes static. I'm checking everything and get to the coil, the pigtail isn't tightened down tight. AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH! My whole morning is shot.

Anyone know if it will be ok when it dries, or what's the best way to handle it?

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the water is salt water, it will be toast, I would return it back that obviously is a factory issue...

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't return it to the factory, I bought it used.

Ok, I don't think any water got into the coil. The pigtail was tightened down, but the O ring isn't thick enough. Even so, with the pigtail tight, it should have kept the gland water tight.

I straightened the coil cable on the lower shaft and moved all the winding up towards the box. I was able to hunt out in the yard for about 20 minutes without any problems. The beach is too crowded now, so today is a loss. I suppose I will have to get a thicker O ring for the coil to be on the safe side, or else goop the crap out of it.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You know I've had my used PI+ for a year now and I never realized the connection to the coil was removable. I'm not opening mine, however.

From what I know about "O" rings I would replace them upon opening a connection. They do take a set and may not seal properly. The cross-section diameter design is quite critical and you can't use a larger cross-section diameter interchangeably.

At yesterday's afternoon's low tide my PI quit after the 2nd signal. I opened up to check on the battery connection but it was good. Had to go home early....this morning when I took the battery pack out I saw that one battery had unsprung slightly. Problem fixed.

Hoping your detector will be OK...That White's PI is a beauty of a machine!

HH Joe

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Joe. I don't think it's really supposed to be removable, just the way it's put together. It's just weird that even with the pigtail tightened down all the way, the O ring in mine won't seal. It is actually loose enough to spin. I doubt seriously the person I bought it off ever did anything with it. It was an older lady that use it anymore because of her legs. She certainly doesn't seem to need the money either.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get your money back or send it in I guess...

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH,

The Whites Surf PI come with a 2 year warranty. The Whites warranty is transferable! It doesn't matter that you bought it used if still under warranty. The warranty goes with the machine not the owner.

Contact Whites factory in Sweet Home Oregon and explain your problem with the machine. They should tell you what to do. They never ask if you are the original owner or not.

Good luck!
- Moe

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys. The seller took it back and will send it to White's for repairs. If I haven't bought another before she gets it back, I will buy it back. I am leaning towards buying a Sand Shark though, can't beat the lifetime warranty from Tesoro.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moe (fl) said:
GibH,

The Whites Surf PI come with a 2 year warranty. The Whites warranty is transferable! It doesn't matter that you bought it used if still under warranty. The warranty goes with the machine not the owner.

Contact Whites factory in Sweet Home Oregon and explain your problem with the machine. They should tell you what to do. They never ask if you are the original owner or not.

Good luck!
- Moe
Yes it doesn't matter to Whites just so long as they can fix it or not. Since you don't have it ya can't send it in and I doubt that the lady will bother doing that. The Sand Shark is a great detector but it will cost more moola.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I hope you get a detector soon so you can get back to detecting.....Matt

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
The Whites Surf Master PI Pro is a top detector, I can´t complain about mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread