txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again no rings, not even a junker, dimes were 12+" so that tells me where everything else is :'(
I'm going through gold withdrawls.....and thinking maybe the fish beat me to the gold ;D

My husband took the boys out of SPI in his boat fishing this past weekend. Johnathon caught a red snapper and this barracuda that was 4ft. He was excited as you can tell from the pic, it is his biggest fish ever!
just remember these are the fish that go after gold jewelry look at the teeth!

Attachments

• FISHING ROCKPORT.  GULF 007 (Small).jpg
    FISHING ROCKPORT. GULF 007 (Small).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 484
Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well at least someone had a great day :icon_thumleft: Anyway, since you think the fish beat you to the gold; I would gut that bad boy and see if he ate the gold :laughing9:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He sure looks happy. I guess I would be happy also if I caught a fish like that......Matt

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Was in the Florida Keys diving 2 weeks ago and my GF who I just got certified to dive saw a Barracuda and though it was one of those needle fish that she had seen at the Aquarium in Key West. She said that was the biggest needle fish I have ever seen. When I stopped laughing I explained to her what she had actually seen. Did I mention she is from Missouri!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went deep sea fishing my one and only time in the Texas gulf coast. Caught a variety of fish including one small barracuda. It was the tastiest fish we caught. But I've never seen it on a menu anywhere. Monty

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a couple people asked us what we were going to do with the fish. we said eat it and they looked surprised. Are you not suppose to eat these...because it was very good rolled in corn meal.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
txkickergirl said:
a couple people asked us what we were going to do with the fish. we said eat it and they looked surprised. Are you not suppose to eat these...because it was very good rolled in corn meal.

The danger is ciguaterra poisoning. It is a debilitating illness that can result in some severe physiological changes, sometimes even death. Due to the danger of poison, great barracuda meat is illegal to sell (Food and Drug Administration 2000).

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Monty said:
Went deep sea fishing my one and only time in the Texas gulf coast. Caught a variety of fish including one small barracuda. It was the tastiest fish we caught. But I've never seen it on a menu anywhere. Monty

The meat is illegal to sell, hence the reason why it isn't on the menu.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wtg. :icon_thumright: Ididnt think they were an eatable fish :tongue3:

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELL CRAP WE ATE THE RED SNAPPER TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The barracuda is the most common fish to carry Ciguatera. grouper , amberjack, eels, sea bass, spanish mackerel, red snapper, parrot fish and surgeon fish are a few of the other common fish that have been known to carry this toxin.

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Sand Shark
I think the other issue is parasites ! Personally I think they are too ugly to eat!! But of course once filleted they all look the same (almost)!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread