excalibur falsing

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
my Excalibur 1000 starting falsing yesterday, so today i went thru old posts and tried some of the old recommendations such as silicone grease, changing the sensitivity until it disappears. I went back out today and same old thing. Falsing would not disappear when I changed sensitivity, and resorted to searching on pinpoint. Only problem was, on pinpoint, i would get tones on the edge of each swing. Is there anything else that con be done, or should this go back to Minelab. its over two years old, so out of warranty. What are the normal costs of Minelab fixing the falsing problem?

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need to email them and ask. As my whites need to go in for a tune up and they charge $45 plus parts.....Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before sending it in and spending $$$, make sure the coil cover is clean. Check the coil bottom for any cracks or broken bubbles that let in water. Is the battery pack well charged. Try charging with a different charger, yours might not be doing it's job. Try a different battery pack too. Does it only happen at your address or at the same beach. Sometimes cell phone, radio and microwave towers can do this. I once had a State Police post near by and when they broadcast, my Excal would misbehave. I was there when it happened.........NO, I wasn't under arrest either.

Try to cover all the bases before sending it in for nothing and get charged for it.

OP
OP
buffhunter

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
i did pull the cover off, same results. i have a spare battery pack and did try to see if that was a problem. it seems to work well on land, but when its in the water is when i have the problem. should it be falsing on dry land too?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the coil real close to be sure it isn't cracked. I had the same problem on mine and it turned out I had a tiny hairline crack along the edge of the coil where the top and bottom of it met. If it is cracked, see if you can pick up a used coil for it. When I sent mine in I furnished the coil, cost me $60 to get it fixed.

If it is a battery issue like SM suggest, it will false also. If you have the ac battery pack, put fresh batteries in it and see if it falses. I had one of my batteries fail and it started falsing.

Another possible cause is where you were detecting. Have you detected there before with no problems? There are a couple places at Daytona that causes falsing for me. Some kind of electricial interference. I can walk 30 feet away and it stops.........Just some ideas....

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'd say after u made this statement u have a bad coil

" it seems to work well on land, but when its in the water is when i have the problem"

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just went through the same problem. It was a cracked coil and after spending $300, it is working as before. I sold some of my gold jewelry that I'd found to http://www.midwestrefineries.com/ for 95% return and that paid for it. :icon_thumleft:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, coil leaking. That's just classical symptoms of a cracked coil as reported. Or if lucky it could be leaking where the wire goes into the coil. You might try putting some epoxy around the coil wire first. But a hairline crack in the coil could be almost invisible. You could coat the entire coil with epoxy paint or that pickup bed liner goo, and see if that stops it. The goo would make a permanent cover and is really tough to damage. Just brainstorming for a cheap fix. Good luck. Monty

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I agree, coil leaking. That's just classical symptoms of a cracked coil as reported. Or if lucky it could be leaking where the wire goes into the coil. You might try putting some epoxy around the coil wire first. But a hairline crack in the coil could be almost invisible. You could coat the entire coil with epoxy paint or that pickup bed liner goo, and see if that stops it. The goo would make a permanent cover and is really tough to damage. Just brainstorming for a cheap fix. Good luck. Monty

The crack in mine was very hard to see, it basically was where they joined the top piece to the bottom piece of the coil covers, it followed the curve of the coil. Minelab would not except it was a coil flaw, it was seperating where the two pieces met, but given the Excal and coil was over 5 years old I did not argue, I have been exceptionally happy with the Excals and Minelab over all. :icon_thumright:

I have 2 Sovereign GTs that I do not use the 10 inch coil on, one has the 15 inch WOT, the other has the 16 inch WOT and the 15 x 18 inch SEF coil, so I had two spare 10 inch coils. I sent one in with the coil and asked them to use that one if the coil would not be covered by warranty.

As long as it has not gotten any water inside the coil (if it did as it will rust the windings) Monty's fix will work for you. Go with either marine epoxy, or bed liner. Bed liner is easier to work with as it sprays on.... I would certainly try Montys suggestion before you send it in for repair...

Good luck.

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
I would sugguest if it is a crack and you are going to fix it,
if it has been in saltwater then soak it in fresh water first,
then dry it out and finish with some alcohol.Then seal the
crack with either penetrating epoxy or super glue that will
get down into the crack and not just the surface.Then you
can coat the bottom with epoxy.Surface sealing only,will
only last so long.Good luck on the fix.HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread