Beach Hunter ID 300 going back to Whites, Coil floats!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The devil made me get another detector, a Beach Hunter ID 300. What prompted me to forsake my Excal was the thought of using the new 12 inch "near-neutral buoyancy coil." I had one of the original Beach Hunters and had to fight to keep the coil down in the saltwater and in freshwater too. I never liked adding weight to the coil as this increased water resistance. I also taped the wire along side of the shaft for this reason too.

However the new Beach Hunter's coil floats real well. You must force it down and when you let go of the shaft it floats to the top and it sticks out of the water. On contacting Whites about my disappointment they are offering to buy it back.

You have to give them credit for good customer service on this issue. I just wished the coil was really neutral buoyant. It would then be great for the dry sand hunters and the ones that like to wade in the water. It is hard to have a detector that excels in both worlds.

It would be nice if we could order it both ways and change coils or headphones too. However many would take the land phones in the water and get them wet then bad mouth the whole detector for not being idiot proof.

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah the floating coil thing really bites, its hard enough with the excal sometimes to maneuver the detector and scoop when you have a strong current. I always wonder who would make a water detector with a coil that floats :dontknow: unless there are some people who enjoy pull tabs so much they don't want to miss the ones floating by them in the surf.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to give them credit for good customer service on this issue. I just wished the coil was really neutral buoyant. It would then be great for the dry sand hunters and the ones that like to wade in the water. It is hard to have a detector that excels in both worlds.

You can't have everything, where would you put it :icon_scratch: :D You do make a great point as far as having interchangeable equipment for a MD so you can have more options without too much additional cost :icon_thumleft:

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Are you sure it is the coil that is floating and not the control head?

The reason I ask is I belt mount the control head on my Whites BeachHunter 300 and I notice that it is buoyant, and tends to float when I'm in the water.

But the coil itself doesn't seem to be any more buoyant than that on my Excalibur II.

I would imagine that if the control head was mounted on the shaft, it would make the shaft and coil feel buoyant, especially if you had it submerged.

I used both machines this past weekend. Spent a full day in the water with Excalibur and a full day in the water with the BeachHunter.

Mostly chest deep at Siesta Key in light surf. Found a .925 ring with the Beachhunter, and a few costume earrings with the Excalibur.

Bill

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
I ran into a guy at the beach 2 weeks ago an he had the new Surf PI Dual Field an he said he like the machine but hated that the coil floated an was a pain too keep down, I got the PI pro but order it with the diver coil, they sould offer a coil like that on their other machines.....

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
GuerillaBill said:

The reason I ask is I belt mount the control head on my Whites BeachHunter 300 and I notice that it is buoyant, and tends to float when I'm in the water.

But the coil itself doesn't seem to be any more buoyant than that on my Excalibur II.

I would imagine that if the control head was mounted on the shaft, it would make the shaft and coil feel buoyant, especially if you had it submerged.

I used both machines this past weekend. Spent a full day in the water with Excalibur and a full day in the water with the BeachHunter.

Mostly chest deep at Siesta Key in light surf. Found a .925 ring with the Beachhunter, and a few costume earrings with the Excalibur.

Bill

That's interesting about the case and It does cause the whole setup to float a little :-\ (good point)!

If you chest mount the control box like you said and chuck the terrible s-shaft for a balanced straight shaft, it takes no effort (at least for me) to hold down the coil.

I'm going to remove the coil from the shaft and test it with nothing attached to it. I'll report back............. :read2:

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GuerillaBill said:

Bill
No it is the coil that floats out of the water when at rest. My controls are chest mounted. Maybe at the factory I got one of the coils for a DFX or MXT, land units.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Could be that it´s neutral in FRESH WATER, but then it would float in salt water. If you want a coil that stays down, always ask for a diver version, or resin filled. The beach versions are foam filled normally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread