Tide question

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I want to ask a question about the tides. I know where to look to see when it is going to be low tide or high tide. My question is... when it says it is low tide how long does it stay low tide or does it immediately start to come back in? In other words is there a lull when nothing is going on? Am I making sense here? I just want to know if there is a period where the water isn't running either way but is still.

Upvote 0

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Mumszie,

It's called 'slack tide' and its the interval between incoming or outgoing tides.

Depending on the wind, the wave height and the location, slack tide can last just a few minutes to almost an hour.

When there is no wind, and slight difference between high tide and low tide, slack tide will last longer, the water can appear flat and almost motionless.

For those of us who detect in the water, slack tide means not getting beat up by waves, and less undercurrent and usually more visibility.

You won't see it everyday, but when conditions are right, it is pretty nice.

Bill

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
low tide is the bottom and normally is as as low as it goes --once thats past its incoming tide -- at high tide then it starts dropping back out again --- to get the best access to land thats normally covered with water --the hour before low tide and after it are key times --- say low tide is at 12 noon -- go 11 am to 1 pm --to get the "bottom" of low tide that should allow you the deepest access -- also look for the rare " maxium low tides" that occur as these can expose huge amounts of land thats normally always underwater. :wink: :icon_thumright:---your old freind -- Ivan

wind drives waves -- look for low to no wind and small tidal change -- to try and get slack tide conditions - during the peak of high or low tide --at times if the conditions weather wize are right (little to no wind) slack tide can occur --normally not for long sadly

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill explained it well. But don't wait around to hunt, go as often as you can and save some strength to pull your loot back to the vehicle. :hello:

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Thank you all for your replies. I just love this forum and all the help it gives. It just doesn't matter if you are a newbie or an old timer. The help is always there. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread