Found Monday:coins, big "Gold" earring, oh and 14 foot hammerhead**Pics of junk

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found Monday:coins, big "Gold" earring, oh and 14 foot hammerhead**Pics of junk

Monday morning Cotton and I hit Clearwater beach. Not finding much I decided to go out to chest deep water. I found a 10 Rupee coin from India, a little bit of clad, and the last signal almost gave me a heart attack. I pulled up the scoop and saw this huge gold earring with Princess written in the middle. Quickly I realized it was junk.

Right after putting the earring in my pouch I started moving towards shallower water. I was at the far south side of Clearwater Beach, right near the rocks but well within the markers about 30 feet from shore. Looking out where I had just been standing minutes before I saw a flounder jump out of the water. I had never seen a flounder jump in my life. So thinking it was a little strange I continued to watch. Five or six seconds later I saw it jump again, but this time a long narrow 18 inch or longer fin came up behind it, really fast. I saw another fin about 6 feet behind the front one. I thought at first there were two sharks but quickly realized that it was just one monster hammerhead shark. I estimated the length to be somewhere between 12 and 14 feet long. The body was as big around as a barrel. It was splashing water all around trying to get that fish, all of this happening not even 15 feet from me. For those familiar with Clearwater Beach, it all happened inside the public beach area between the shore and those wood markers that hold the rope that says danger strong currents.....anyway I just about walked on the water to get out of there. There were about 20 people on shore, some with small children in the water, and the funny thing is none of them saw it. It makes one wonder about all the stuff that happends right in front of us that we never even see.

I'll post some pictures of my "valuable" finds tomorrow. Sorry I don't have pictures of the shark....maybe next time :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Re: Found Monday:coin from India, big Gold plated earring, oh and 14 foot hammerhead

Well I didn't need to read this post! My husband is always telling me that I am going to get eaten by a shark and that is where I go a lot! Sheesh. First someone tells me about a couple of hammerheads being seen at Pine Island then the attendant tells me that a bull shark has been seen out there and now this! I am a coward...... Maybe I will start hunting the dry sand more. ::)

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
Re: Found Monday:coin from India, big Gold plated earring, oh and 14 foot hammerhead

thank you very much Capt! now i really wont go back in the water!!!

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That will get your heart pounding... I have had blacktips try and eat pompano I caught not 10 foot from shore when bringing them in. There is defiantly more around than ya see... I really worry about the sting rays...

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've had run ins this past month with a stingray (or some kind of ray) and a silly little crab. If I had been within 20 feet of a hammerhead, I would have to cut my hunt short to head home and change me drawers.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yikes!!! any time I see fish popping out of the water, my butt is popping onto shore.

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll be honest, at the same time I was ready to "soil" myself I was still fascinated that I was seeing something that I had only seen on TV. I've never seen such a large predator on the hunt. I couldn't believe how such a large animal could turn so quickly. As fast as it was moving it looked like it could have turned on a dime.

I haven't been having a good month so far. I stepped on a sting ray at Fort Desoto. Normally they move out of the way when the coil is getting near them. For some reason it didn't move with that, but with my booted foot on him it moved. God was on my side that day, I didn't get barbed.

I remember also being at Clearwater on Saturday morning at the same part of the beach where I saw the hammerhead on Monday. I remember seeing some type of ray (Manta or something like that) that jumped up several feet in the air. It seemed like something was after it because the water was moving under it. It might have been the same baby after it that made his presence known on Monday. They stay in the same hunting territories.

From what I've read up on them they really prefer rays and fish that they knock up from the sand while they are swimming. Their head is used like a shovel, moving the sand while they hunt.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

You are NOT making me feel any better about hunting in the water at Clearwater beach! ::)

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mumszie said:
You are NOT making me feel any better about hunting in the water at Clearwater beach! ::)

You know, I was thinking about you when I got to shore. It is the spot that I have seen you several times there. I always hunt the same spot. I decided to end the hunt the other day and just go another time.

It was also kind of stupid of me to even be out there the other day. The water was milky color and there were bait fish everywhere.

One should use common sense out there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Florida is the Shark Captial of the world!

GET OUT OF THE WATER!!!!!

great20white_thumbnail.jpg

Yes, every one get out of the water NOW please..................Do not hunt in the water at all!!....You have been warned. it is TOO dangerous....

This is a public service message brought to you by Treasure Hunter..............

I will be out this weekend with my detector checking to be sure everyone got out of the water. ;D

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

Treasure_Hunter said:

Yes, every one get out of the water NOW please..................Do not hunt in the water at all!!....You have been warned. it is TOO dangerous....

This is a public service message brought to you by Treasure Hunter..............

I will be out this weekend with my detector checking to be sure everyone got out of the water. ;D

OK OK I sometimes take these warnings with a grain of salt unless it is someone I've hunted with and know for exactly the reason you guys make. AND I know you guys are joking but I admit I will probably hunt much shallower for a while and will watch the water pretty close. Especially since my husband keeps telling me I'm going to get eaten by a shark! LOL

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm still getting back out there in the water when I can. It's just a friendly public service reminder that we are in their territory.

But as some go out there when it is dark, including myself, we need to remember that they are there, looking for fish.

I saw a school of Hammerhead Sharks (all about 6 feet long) one time off of Kauai in July, 1992. They were beautiful and graceful, swimming along. We were snorkeling there, none of them bothered us.

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Check out this video of a hammerhead attack. This is what I saw the other day. I'm sad I didn't have the camera. From the 19 second mark on is how the scene played out in front of me.

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector

firts of all, ask the local children if they want to metal detect. then let them stay in front of you, back of you, and the side of you.. if you see the kids start yelling, then you know you have a shark close by. you know you can out swim a kid/ ow i ment shark ;D :tongue3: :laughing9:
mumszie said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

OK OK I sometimes take these warnings with a grain of salt unless it is someone I've hunted with and know for exactly the reason you guys make. AND I know you guys are joking but I admit I will probably hunt much shallower for a while and will watch the water pretty close. Especially since my husband keeps telling me I'm going to get eaten by a shark! LOL

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

mumzie -the beach where I showed you about stuff is near the area thats the major breeding ground for hammerheads on the east coast --- big hammers can be dangerous but it would be the bull sharks that would really worry me as they are well known to be very aggressive as a rule and run in very shallow waters . --- luckily for us humans sharks as a rule do not seem to like or see us as "food" --most often humans are bit in error in murky water --never wear silver or gold colored items as it can appear to be a bait fish "flash" to a shark .

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JP,Now you see why i let you go in first, :tongue3: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MT Pockets said:
It's always good to hunt with a partner.. We need to even up the odds at times.. :tongue3: :laughing9:

Rule of thumb, hunt with partners that are slowing than you...........Thats why you and Cylp are my partners, gives me time to get out of the water...... :wink: ;D

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COTTON said:
JP,Now you see why i let you go in first, :tongue3: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Next time I'm giving an offering to the big sharks. I'm throwing your can of chew out there. I know you'll swim out to get it with a knife in your teeth like tarzan in the old days. :laughing7:

Even though we didn't find much those 2 days of hunting, it was all fun.

Take care and see you soon my friends..........
Treasure_Hunter said:
MT Pockets said:
It's always good to hunt with a partner.. We need to even up the odds at times.. :tongue3: :laughing9:

Rule of thumb, hunt with partners that are slowing than you...........Thats why you and Cylp are my partners, gives me time to get out of the water...... :wink: ;D

Good advice to take cannon fodder, send them in first and then go in for the spoils :laughing7::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Tough week here.

Wednesday I had a cow nose ray swim right up on me. Later you could see it jumping out of the water. With its fins bent up, it looked like a shark andeveryone came running out of the water by the pier.

Friday, jelly fish all over. The football ones with the long tenticles.

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My favorite back in the summer was the manatee that bumped into me one morning. When it swam off it went between several people. They never even noticed it, oh and the water was crystal clear that morning.

Every other time I see a dolphin at the beach I hear people saying "oh wow look at the shark."

My month has been stressful. Last Saturday I stepped on a stingray. Most of the time they move when the coil passes over them. Thank God it didn't whip the barb into me. On Sunday some %$%# crossed the center line and almost hit me head on. Monday morning the Hammerhead incident; what a beautiful animal. Yesterday I hear a shotgun blast that scared the $%#$ out of me, some guy tried to take the shotgun from the guard next door. The police came and arrested the guy who tried to steal it (I'm back in San Salvador, the killing capital of the world right now).

I guess all of this is part of daily life now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread