new to Beach Hunting

excal

Sep 15, 2009
w.p.b FL.
Detector(s) used
excaliber II
Hey Ya'll i m new to beach hunting, i just got an Ex cal II and have started hitting the local beaches in W.P.B FL. I am excited for my first gold find. I see all the post of finds and have not found anything great so far, getting a little discourage. Thanks for all the advice that you all post, as far as techniques and search patterns. This is a wealth of knowledge, that is appreciated. I am hoping to get in the water soon, once i really got the Ex cal figured out. I am a little leary on where to go because of regulations and laws on being to close to wrecks and or not being allowed to detect on some beaches. Any advice for a south east Florida hunter will be appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
If you´re in the salt water, DON´T use discrimination, or you´ll miss rings and coins on edge. Sure you´ll get foil and tabs, but that´s in the game, iron will have rusted away, or be so big you´ll easilly see it for what it is.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have one of the best detectors for beach hunting with maybe the exception of a Sov GT and WOT coil. But they aren't waterproof. Been a while since I've been down there so the laws and rules have changed. Good advice to find others in your area to ask about rules.

Keep disc turned low so you can hear the pull tabs and you'll hear 90% of the gold rings. The other 10% will be in the foil range or the huge honkers will be in the higher coin range. Don't worry about ID'ing the target, as if it makes a noise, scoop it.

Good Luck,
Sandman

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Welcome to T-net. You will get all the advice you will ever need right here. Just ask questions and you'll get answers! Can't wait to start seeing your finds! Go get em'

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal,

You are safe where you are, your south of the treasure leases. I have hunted Jensen Beach and West Palm Beach with no problems. From Jensen Beach south all the way to Miami and Key Biscayne you should have no problems as far as treasure leases and laws go.

Remember in Florida the beaches are owned by the public, so if there is public access you can hunt in front of hotels and time shares. There are a few private beaches, but they are few and far between.

Get in the water, the majority of good targets are in the water, or the wet sand that was under water on the last high tide.

Like the others said you have one of the best machines, my suggestion is you set your disc to 1 to 1.5, (I never go above 1 myself (min)), set threshold to where it is just audible, volume maxed out, sense to where it is stable, it will depend on the beach and the surroundings. Usually it is anywhere from 10 to 3 o'clock if the sense knob was a clock. I have ran mine on auto at times, but usually it is 11-2, it just depends on the conditions. Don't be afraid to adjust it, you want it stable.

Try to start hunting at least a couple hours before low tide, on the Atlantic side it is a big difference. Low tide does not last long, it comes back in fast after lowtide hits. If your digging poptops, your doing fine, learn the tones, dig all at first to learn the tones but I have never dug a null that turned out to be anything but iron............If you get a solid tone N-S and E-W dig it, no matter how faint the signal is.

Hope you got a good scoop, now get out there and find some gold....................... :icon_thumright:

Good Luck, and Good Hunting.........

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Excal - welcome to tnet. i am close by, shout if you need help. Sent you a PM

OP
OP
E

excal

Sep 15, 2009
w.p.b FL.
Detector(s) used
excaliber II
Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions, you guys and gals r great. Their are some hobbies and activities that seems that support is hard to come by, but not here. I appreciate it. I have been looking to get a longer straight shaft and a different arm cup. If all goes as planned i will be able to get to the beach after work today for about 1hr, i know that is not alot of time but i will take it over none. :icon_thumright:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Reilly's Treasures in Pompano for the saft & cup. Welcome! HH Sonny Fl.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread