Minelab question

Smremm

Sep 11, 2009
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I'm very new to detecting and I'm using a Minelab Explorer XS that I inherited from my brother. I've been on several beach hunts now, but I'm afraid to go in the water. The manual says it's good for extreme salt, but I don't know if that means salt water. Does anyone know if I can detect in the water with this? If I ruin it I'm done for and I'm really starting to love this hobby! Also, if anyone in or near Virginia Beach wants some company on a hunt - I'd love to tag along!

Upvote 0

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the thing u have to watch is getting wave water that can run up into the shaft and then get inside the control box

i plugged up my lower shaft with R T V

coils is waterproof.............now go find gold and get back to us

Attachments

• RTV SHAFTS.jpg
    RTV SHAFTS.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 375

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can get the coil wet but not the box. So stick to hunting the shore line and wet sand, you don't to chance getting it wet.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Max is a ole hand at this so follow his advice. That Explorer is a land unit and to expensive to get wet and fry the guts. Stick to the wet and dry sand and watch for waves to knock you over. Go at it and have fun and good luck. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember there are rouge waves, beach can be calm, you can be working on a target and not watching as a rouge wave hits you and down you go. You now own a very expensive paperweight.

If it was me I would not work any deeper then mid calf in the water and always keep an eye on incoming waves. I can't tell you how many times I have gone down because I wasn't paying attention like I should have been.

Also suggest you remember there is salt spray in the air, cover your detector with a clear baggie or bag......

Good luck...........And good hunting..... :icon_thumright:

David from Suffolk

Aug 17, 2005
Suffolk Virginia
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 / Excailbur II /Quattro/ Tesoro Tejón
Stick to the wet and dry sand Susan there are plenty of treasures to be found in the wet sand and you don't want to get that machine wet. Check the tide charts and try and go out a couple hours before low tide and then you will have time to hunt a couple hours on outgoing and then a couple hours to hunt incoming if you want.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread