Detuning detectors...

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is there any way to reduce a detectors sensitivity so that it is possible to get closer to the steel posts in tot lots? (or tips to that effect)

I can't get any closer then 1-1/2 ft to the posts. I have tried to reduce the sensitivity knob on the machine to no avail.

I have the feeling that there are just tons of goodies within 6 inches of those steel monsters.

TIA

Ralph

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smaller coil lets you get closer.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
The smaller coil lets you get closer.

yup maybe an ace 250 with that little sniper coil with all that extra you will find it will pay for itself in no time

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
A Sun-Ray intruder S-5 coil will get U right next to the posts & cheaper than a new detector :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks folks. Something to concider.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Get yourself a Tesoro for a backup/cleanup machine. The compadre comes with the 5.75" coil and is very reasonable. Depth is very good for the small coil. I can sometimes bump the coil against those posts and still not get an overload. Even when I do get an overload, like under a slide in a tot lot, it will still beep on a coin. Great machine.

Randy

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI
I have a Garrett ACE250 with the Sniper coil just for this purpose. With this setup and the sensitivity at about half or less, I can get as close as 1 inch to these posts. and you are right, there is stuff there that you can't find with a sensitive machine.

HH
Digger

D

digum smacks

this 1 is easy.dig up the posts :tongue3: detect it then put them back :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread