Affordable Hookah Systems

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Ok here it is folks! Before I list what is needed to make a Hookah System, I suggest you read this introduction to Hookah diving, so that you can better understand the principle on the system and know what you need before you go out and spend that hard-earned cash, this is something that you want to do right the first time around, otherwise, mistakes in buying will get very expensive!

This introduction is written by the folks at Keene Engineering who deal in gold dredges and hookahs......

http://www.keeneengineering.com/pamphlets/howhookah.html

Ok, let's start with the pump.

For a one person air supply compressor, there is the proven "T-80" medium-duty pump and it will supply you enough air to run at 30 feet.

The cost for the T-80 (new) is $300, and you can find them popping up used on Ebay every couple of weeks or so for a lot less than that, usually in the $80-$200 range.

For a two-person air compressor, the is the Keene "KAC1". This pump will run 2 people at a depth of 30 feet. This pump is priced in the $400 range.

These two are the basic simple units for the 30 foot range which I recommend.

Then there is Keene's "Heavy Duty Compressor" which can supply air for 2 people for deeper diving, this pump costs $575.
I don't know the depth rating of this pump, so you will have to call Keene and ask them directly about this.

In regards to air pumps, these are specially built for diving. They are oil-less, Teflon lubricated systems and have other design features inside them that prevent you from breathing anything harmful. I highly discourage the use any of the oil-less air compressors that are advertised in the general purpose world. I looked into it myself before, and I never felt comfortable trying to build a breathing system from the run-of-the-mill compressors, even though they are oil-less, there is a lot going on inside of a pump that we don't see or know about, so why risk it? Use a pump designed with your safety in mind!

On that note, you will notice on places like Ebay, certain units are for sale that seem to be nicely priced.... I do NOT recommend these! All they are selling are the oil-less "general" purpose compressors.

Here is an example of what I am talking about......

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCUBAPUMPS-...in_0?hash=item1c0c8d4bb9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Now, if you read the bottom of the add closely, it says:

"By bidding/buying I agree with the terms below. I know these are serious life support diving systems; proper training is required for their use. This can be satisfied by either a Surface Supplied Air diving certification or a SCUBA diving certification. I affirm that I am a certified diver in either Surface Supplied Air diving or SCUBA diving and understand the risks and precautions to be taken when breathing compressed air underwater. I further assume responsibility for ensuring that all users of this equipment are also certified divers.

I agree to forever discharge and release Scubapumps.com their employees, agents and owners from any and all responsibility or liability for any and all injuries or damages or death to the participant in any diving activity or to any other person. I agree NOT to make a claim against or sue Scubapumps.com its employees, agents or owners for the injuries or damages relating to diving and/or the use of its equipment. I agree to release Scubapumps.com its employees, agents and owners from any and all responsibility and legal liability whether it results from the use of this equipment whether it results from any NEGLIGENCE or otherwise, including but not limited to the maintenance of this equipment or organization of this activity.

I hereby agree to accept the terms and conditions of this contract. This document constitutes the final and entire agreement between Scubapumps.com. There are no warranties expressed or implied, which extend beyond the description listed in the product Owner’s Manual. This is a complete release of all liability.

IT IS MY INTENTION BY THIS INSTRUMENT TO GIVE UP MY RIGHT TO SUE ALL PERSONS OR ENTITIES REFERRED TO HEREIN, WHETHER SPECIFICALLY NAMED OR NOT, AND IT IS ALSO MY INTENTION TO EXEMPT AND RELIEVE SCUBAPUMPS.COM, AND TO HOLD THESE ENTITIES HARMLESS FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR WRONGFUL DEATH CAUSED THROUGH THE USE OF SSA EQUIPMENT AND I ASSUME ALL RISKS IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE SSA EQUIPMENT.

By bidding I have carefully read this agreement and release of liability and fully understand its contents. I am aware that this is a release of liability and a contract between myself and those that use it, Scubapumps.com, I confirm it of my own free will."

Well now, doesn't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you are down in 60 feet of water?? This disclaimer is posted because it is not a PROVEN system, it is just some hair-brained scheme hatched by some bozo to make money. He does NOT care about selling you something that is proven to be safe, all he cares about is that you or your family not being able to sue him should this product hurt and/or kill you! The one way this product will kill you is.... notice how there is no air snorkel attached to where the pump draws air and to top it all off, it is right next to the exhaust muffler! You NEED an air snorkel! Notice that all the Hookah systems out there have them on their products. This is a must have and it can not be compromised, it is the only way that your compressor is going to give you safe, breathable air. The air snorkel draws air that is out of the range of your exhaust system.

I know money is tight, but do not sacrifice quality in order to save a couple hundred bucks. Buy a quality compressor.

Now, here is the way to save money..... the engine!

These links feature the best priced/reliable engines that have more than enough power to run your Hookah application.

1 is from Honda, and one is a Honda copy-cat, but it has tons of great reviews saying it matches Honda in every way, including reliability. The third, is a Briggs And Stratton.

(Honda)
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...00350939&cm_sp=Xsells-_-Manual-_-Product Page

(Honda copy-cat)
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200377914_200377914

(Briggs And Stratton)
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...&R=47829&cm_sp=Xsells-_-Manual-_-Product Page

So, in a recap of this post, you will need the following......

1. Base plate and frame (DIY, purchase on-line, or fabrication shop)

Engine and belt pulley

Compressor and belt pulley (one matching the depth and number of divers you intend to use it for)

Air Snorkel

Flotation device that is sturdy enough to support the entire weight of engine and compressor, and will be stable with current and waves. There are several ways to make it yourself, but they are very affordable pre-made to begin with.

The compressors, pulleys, snorkel and flotation device can be purchased from Keene, and they can help you through with whatever questions and ideas you have......

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Feel free to PM me if any of you need additional help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread