As The Lake goes down

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
Hi,
Today was a good day for me. I just walked along the old abandoned beach and found several nickels and pennies on the shore. The lake drops about 3 inches per month because of the drought.
On this partly submerged old log I saw a black round item. ( 1900 O Siilver dollar in fine condition, just a little black). Underneath it were two nickels 1964 and 1939. Also sticking out of the water some 1950s coke bottles, 7 ups, etc. and an old milk bottle. The Lake Association has been digging out the banks and putting the sand in deeper waters. On the side of the cliff about 2 feet down exposed was a 1906 about good liberty dime. It is amazing what the motor boats on the lake who
create small waves uncover interesting things. Two days ago at another abandoned beach of the lake I found clad quarters, pennies, and a silver dime just laying in the water or wet sand. P.S. I have
probably taken over 200 bottles out of this lake including silver coins, gold ring. Others have taken
out dozens of rings, silver coins, bottles, etc. Most of these two day finds were without use of the metal detector.

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome! Show us a picture if you can. Imagine what you could find with a detector! (10 times as much wouldn't be unrealistic!)

OP
OP
G

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
Hi,
I have metal detected and here to date are some of my finds. Also included items laying on the beach do to wave action - mostly from the skiing boats. These are the silver coins. 2 standing liberty halves 1942, 1944. 2 Franklin halves 1949, 1954. 1 standing liberty quarter 1929. 10 Washington quarters. 10 Mercury dimes. 8 Roosevelt dimes. 4 silver nickels. 4 buffalo nickels. Lots of wheat pennies and a quart jar of memorial pennies. Also a quart jar of spendable clads - nickels, dimes, quarters. Also over 200 plus soda pop bottles dating from the thirties to the fifties. Brass, fishing sinkers, one men's gold ring, several bracelets. Others that got to the beach before me have found lots of old coins and jewelry. Because of all the trash, metal, nails, pipes, cans, pulltaps they often take to sifting also. Sorry I don't have the items organized to take a picture. Also my husband has not programmed the digital camera into this computer. Gretchen.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gretchen,
Is this a large lake? Is it back east or down south or out west?
Just curious. SOunds like it's probably back east due to the age of the coins. I would seriously consider using either a hookah or a snorkle and mask and an underwater detector in this lake.

OP
OP
G

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
Hi,
This is Lake Arrowhead in the San Bernardino Mts. in Southern California. The dam was built in about
1922 and the lake is 14 miles shoreline to shoreline. In the twenties and thirties movie stars from
Hollywood built their big homes on the lake front. Today very expensive homes are being built on the available lots. Those that live in the boundaries of Arrowhead Woods have lake rights to own docks and put their boats on the lake. The area is a resort area with speciality shops in the Village and tourists come from everywhere. The water has gone down in the Lake and the public beaches are not open anymore. (Also problems with the insurance costs years ago). An acquaintance of mine
that is a contractor and does work for the Village is allowed to metal detect and do a litlle sifting.
No major operations. Basically swimming is not allowed in the water. I usually go to the beach areas early in the morning and beach comb. Also on the beach out of sight of the Village I do metal detect. I keep a low profile. If you want to see what Lake Arrowhead looks like go to eBay and put in Lake Arrowhead, Ca. Also click on the items sold. By the way where are you located and what do
you do in metal detecting?l

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread