TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On vacation in Gulf Shores, Alabama and am using an Excal. II. Which mode Disc. or pinpoint is the best for reaching deep stuffwhile at the same time having the best stability, also which settings is the best for the white sands and the salt water?
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DISC mode, Disc 1, Sens 6-7, Volume high, Threshold so you can hear little hum. Sweep slowly!

Happy Hunting!
Moe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some say to hunt in the Pinpoint mode which is All Metal for max depth. I think if you want to hunt in all metal you should have bought a regular Pulse detector and gotten that extra depth and the same bobby pins you will get in Pinpoint mode with the Excal.

Depending on the beach I hunt with Sens. at about 11 to 1 o'clock. Disc. 1 or 2 since the Excal ignores Iron normally anyway. Volume all the way up unless it is to loud. Threshold as low as you can still bearly hear it. Ya know, threshold. You don't have to sweep real slow, just not whipping it like a grass whip for best results. You can pinpoint off the tip or heel of the coil instead of switching into the Pinpoint mode. On some beaches you can only run in Auto because of the falsing. You decide depending on the area your hunting.

Read CJC's books on the Excal and Sov GT to understand why you bought the Minelab in the first place. :read2: I highly recommend them.

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
I've been favoring all-metal for the past year, as I've dug a few rings that I would have missed in DISC mode. [ I toggled between the two modes to test the audio response...nothing in DISC, but the rings were DEEP ]. Sandman is right though, I've now been considering a pulse unit since I hunt in all-metal anyway. But, the nice thing with the Excal is the ability to toggle between all-metal and DISC over a target. If it nulls in DISC, don't dig it. If it doesn't give ANY signal in DISC, it's worth investigating. You may even get to the point in all-metal where you will be able to hear differences between nails (double-blip), some iron, and good targets. Call it DISCRIMATION within all-metal mode if you will. Good luck out there. - Jim

D

digum smacks

i like that"if it nulls out dont dig it".welp there went that nice rolex or wait wasnt it that 800 gram 14kchain with a monster medallion that you just decided to pass :hello2: up

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Some say to hunt in the Pinpoint mode which is All Metal for max depth. I think if you want to hunt in all metal you should have bought a regular Pulse detector and gotten that extra depth and the same bobby pins you will get in Pinpoint mode with the Excal.

Depending on the beach I hunt with Sens. at about 11 to 1 o'clock. Disc. 1 or 2 since the Excal ignores Iron normally anyway. Volume all the way up unless it is to loud. Threshold as low as you can still bearly hear it. Ya know, threshold. You don't have to sweep real slow, just not whipping it like a grass whip for best results. You can pinpoint off the tip or heel of the coil instead of switching into the Pinpoint mode. On some beaches you can only run in Auto because of the falsing. You decide depending on the area your hunting.

Read CJC's books on the Excal and Sov GT to understand why you bought the Minelab in the first place. :read2: I highly recommend them.
:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread