Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife nailed it I think. People spreading loved ones ashes in the spots they loved the most.

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow ok for some reason it didnt post my question,my question was has anyone who has found these tags tried to return them to the crematory since they all seem to have the crematory names `on em.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I do not see the reason for "sending them back" (as if they were a lost class ring that is "fun to re-unite" or something). I mean C'MON! The concept of metal detectors/detecting probably never even crossed the mind of the person scattering their loved ones ashes in the surf (along with the toe-tag). Now how would YOU feel if the tag came back to you in an envelope or something? Just throw it away (or pitch it back in the sea, etc...). That's what I do with the ones I find.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm sending them back ... to where they were found. I can't see anyone else really wanting them ... not even collectors.

Well .. I take that back, maybe some of the Goth crowd would like to collect them (dangle from earlobes?). :tongue3:

HH Joe

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
I do not see the reason for "sending them back" (as if they were a lost class ring that is "fun to re-unite" or something). I mean C'MON! The concept of metal detectors/detecting probably never even crossed the mind of the person scattering their loved ones ashes in the surf (along with the toe-tag). Now how would YOU feel if the tag came back to you in an envelope or something? Just throw it away (or pitch it back in the sea, etc...). That's what I do with the ones I find.

apperantly YOU didnt read what I said correctly ,

I said......has anyone who has found these tags tried to return them to the crematory since they all seem to have the crematory names `on em.

no where did it say send it to the family

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the creamatory only uses them to ID the ashes to prevent mix ups -- like giving the wrong ashes (body) to the wrong family --(can you say lawsuit ? ) -- after the ashes are given to the family --the creamatory really does noy want the tag back ( since they have no use for em --I mean its not like they can reuse it)--all it could do is get mixed up with current ones (talk about a nightmare) - so I honestly believe they would just junk em or even worse "mail" it to the family member who picked up and signed for the "release" the ashes--

personally since the loved one liked the ocean somuch ( I guessing thats why their ashes got "dumped" there by their next of kin after all) -- back it goes as far as I can chuck it --I veiw the tags like a headstone of sorts --so I'm not taking em home with me.-- max 3 times in a row --guess whoever it is "likes" you it seems.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is how i got my name

found like 5 one summer

found one 3 times, lowtide tim found it first, tossed it back, ron found it after my first toss, i scracthed max on the back......then i find it 2 more times.

i now carry it with me, figured whoever it was, they did not like the ocean in vabeach.

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
We found one today while working a beach. Had never seen one before, and it was difficult to read. Went to the in laws for dinner and pulled it out while there to clean it off. Someone with good eyes read all the info.

Guess he or she needs to go back home to the beach next time there.

PK

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
wow ok for some reason it didnt post my question,my question was has anyone who has found these tags tried to return them to the crematory since they all seem to have the crematory names `on em.

I have and I sent it back to the crematory my reasons are:

Its nice to scatter loved ones ashes...but metal tags do not belong in water, for kids to cut themselves, or to add to the litter that already is out there. In Texas you are not suppose to scatter them along the beach and have to go like 3 miles out and you have to follow other rules as well which one of them is removing the metal tag.

these are ID Tags, used by the crematory, family members most the time are unaware of their even being one. It serves no purpose after the urn is given to the family and has no emotional attachement to the deceased. So either throw them in the trash or send them back to the funeral home, but get them off the beach!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions