Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying my Surfmaster PI in the shallow surf, I wasn't going to submerge it until I replaced the O ring and sink test it. I guess I took one too many waves and it started making some very sick noises. I shut it off and opened it up, sure enough, a few drops of water inside. I pulled the batteries and made an emergency run to Radio Shack. Luckily I was able to resuscitate it. I used the descicant to soak up what little liquid was in the box, so now I have to replace that too.

I was in such a hurry I left my scoop at the beach, which luckily was still there when I back.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites has a Orange O ring that is supposed to be larger in dia. to stop the leaks they say their detectors don't hav

OH Noooooooooooo!

Attachments

• Mr. Bill.jpg
    Mr. Bill.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 526
  • Mr. Bill.jpg
    Mr. Bill.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 525
OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I had the orange one on another Surfmaster PI I had. Unfortunately I didn't get to use that one much, it started squalling about 10 minutes after I turned it on (never got the box wet). The seller refunded my money on that one. It also had the diver coil on it, but alas it just wasn't meant to be.

I really like this one though, I will send it off to surfscanner's for Mr. Bill to work his magic on it.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you was able to save it.....Matt

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Go to a diving shop, and get some O ring silicone that is especialliy designed for diving lamps and regulators, and smear this over the O ring very thinly. It should NOT squidge out everywhere when you clamp the box shut again, the O ring should just be tacky !! This will ensure a good seal. Every time you change the batteries you will have to clean the O ring and grooves, and re grease them, but they will remain water proof.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I already have the silicone. I just need to stay out of the water with it until I get a new O ring. I have a Tiger Shark I can use until I get it.

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I'm going to have to send it in for repairs. It still works, but is chattery and falsing on almost every swing. Good thing there aren't any trees on the beach...........

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Not good, hope they get it fixed quick. Normally if you get salt water in something, get the batteries out, and swill it out with distilled water asap then let it drop out and put a couple of bags of silica gel directly under it in a container, with the haousing open and turned upside down and open so that the printed circuit board is directly above the silica gel. That usually gets it dried out then, and normally you shouldn´t have any problems. The longer you wait between getting the batteries out, and washing the electrics out with distilled water, the more damage happens.
Keep us updated, and good luck.
HH Ray

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
I typically use Parker O-Ring grease, I think it called "Parker O-Lube." Since they are the leader in precision-engineered o-rings. O-Rings can be a tricky matter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread