Excalibur 1000/ Nautilus DMC IIB/CZ-6a/ Tejon
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking from just my own experience, but I personally love the combination. In my opinion you can't beat the WOT coil in the water. I have a waterproofed sovereign GT that has a WOT and when it was down for repair I borrowed Excal from Clyp that had a WOT coil. I just bought another Excal and I am going to put a WOT coil on it for use in the surf.

Get the harness, weight will not be an issue. Using a harness, I can swing excal with WOT coil all day long and I am 61. I have turned both my hunting partners Clyp and Pockets on to the harness and they can vouch for how much easier it makes hunting.

lejermonModel-Sharness-1.jpg

I have 2 WOT coils, one on my waterproofed sovereign gt and the other on my beach/land sovereign gt, and both of them have proven to be "hot" coils and both are very deep and very easy to pinpoint with.

On a scale of 1-10 I would give the WOT an 11. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Good luck and good hunting..................

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By all means have a WOT coil installed on the Excal. I don't have one on mine because I am only able to hunt freshwater now and there is always a lot of none iron trash.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
All pro-no cons If U R going 2 use it out of the water get a harness like TH said. Think of it as like a PI without the bobbie pins. (I know I am going 2 get grief from the died in the wool pi guys) but I have an Infinium and a Sea Hunter and IMHO this will go as deep or.....
Go 4 it

Attachments

• Excal:WOT.jpg
    Excal:WOT.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 460
  • Excal:WOT.jpg
    Excal:WOT.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 450

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
you guys must be Hulk Hogan! iv had 4 WOT's on my Sovereign's and used the swing harness also and after 2 hrs im done and my shoulder hurts so bad i have to rest it for 2 days.and thats on wet sand! in the water it is impossible to swing due to resistance,yes let it float,coast what ever. and to pinpoint under water is very hard.i still like the 8" coils in the water much better and the S12 on wet/dry sand. but if i were in young great shape id prob go with the WOT on wet/dry sand and the S12 under water.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dixie Digger said:
you guys must be Hulk Hogan! iv had 4 WOT's on my Sovereign's and used the swing harness also and after 2 hrs im done and my shoulder hurts so bad i have to rest it for 2 days.and thats on wet sand! in the water it is impossible to swing due to resistance,yes let it float,coast what ever. and to pinpoint under water is very hard.i still like the 8" coils in the water much better and the S12 on wet/dry sand. but if i were in young great shape id prob go with the WOT on wet/dry sand and the S12 under water.

Sorry to hear you've had that much trouble with the WOT Dixie. I am certainly no Hulk, so not sure why I have no problem and you do. On trips south I have hunted for 3 days, dawn to dusk with the WOT in the water and sure I'm sore from the hunting, but it was my legs not my arms that were sore the most. Ibuprofin is a hunter's best friend.

I even have the new SEF 15" x 18" coil and hunt with it for hours without much trouble and it is heaver then the WOT........

thinkin2

Mar 30, 2007
James Island, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Treasure_Hunter said:
Speaking from just my own experience, but I personally love the combination. In my opinion you can't beat the WOT coil in the water. I have a waterproofed sovereign GT that has a WOT and when it was down for repair I borrowed Excal from Clyp that had a WOT coil. I just bought another Excal and I am going to put a WOT coil on it for use in the surf.

Get the harness, weight will not be an issue. Using a harness, I can swing excal with WOT coil all day long and I am 61. I have turned both my hunting partners Clyp and Pockets on to the harness and they can vouch for how much easier it makes hunting.

I have a Sov GT and have also thought about the WOT. How much difference in depth would there be over the stock 10" Tornado coils and are there any stability issues? Thanks, and also how did you waterproof your Sov? That sounds like something I might want to do as well at some point. Thanks again. --Jerry

Gulf Hunter

Jan 12, 2007
Galveston Co., Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 800s
Never used a WOT, but no one addressed the stainless bolt issue. You CANNOT use a stainless bolt with an Excal, without causing falsing issues. I upgraded the stock bolt by drilling the coil ears and lower stem to 5/16" and went with a nylon bolt and wing nut from the hardware store. Coil stays put now, I like it!

OP
OP
Parkerized

Parkerized

Oct 11, 2006
Coastal North Cackylacki
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000/ Nautilus DMC IIB/CZ-6a/ Tejon
How comfortable are the harnesses? I'm definitely leaning towards the Wot.

Gulf hunter Thanks. I wonder why the bolt doesn't effect the 15" coil on my(came stock with) Nautilus dmcIIb? If it does I'm gonna have to get a backhoe. When you drilled out the hole ,it didn't get into anything that would effect the waterproofness of the coil did it?

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i m h o

i have owned 2 wots and they were great

last week i got two new coils from kellyco JW. one was the new SEF - 12 X 15. so far i find it to be better than the WOT.

like i said, i have only had it out 2 times................from what i have read and the reports on this coil, i does a better job.

let me say this...................it is very quite........waves do not make it false, nor does hittng it on the sand as u swing...........stable is a better word

in the waves it is quite, BUT it is much harder to move around due to the coil make up.

weight.............B O T H ARE DOG HEAVY

depth.............funny u ask this, sat. we did a little test, bob buried a gold and platinum ring in the damp sand........not sure how deep...........maybe 15" or so. he has a new infinium.

when i swung over it with the butterfly with sensitivity about 10am with threshold, i could hear it...........was not a great sound, but hearable. bob's new infinium would knock it out loud and clear

like gulfhunter said................STAY AWAY FROM THE S/S BOLT FOR YOUR COIL - my opinion only

Attachments

• butterfly man.jpg
    butterfly man.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 425
  • butterfly man.jpg
    butterfly man.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 431

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harness is very comfortable. I burned a hole it, installed eyelet to hook my water bottle. Harness so valuable to my hunting, I have a back up harness... :icon_thumright:

All my coils have nylon bolts, no ss bolts on any of my detectors....

I have the 15" x 18" SEF Butterfly coil, found a gold and silver ring first hunt at beach.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parkerized

that sef pictured is on New GT that cmdr. jim just got here in va beach.

big rich has 10x12 on his excal. and loves it

who can do it.........hardwireing.............since minelab stopped..........i have no clue.

rumor was that mr. bill would do it.........surfscanner det. in mass.

good luck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gravediggermax-vabeachva said:
Parkerized
who can do it.........hardwireing.............since minelab stopped..........i have no clue.

rumor was that mr. bill would do it.........surfscanner det. in mass.

good luck

Mr Bill wll not do it, I asked already. I'm going to splice it in using the splices found on this thread. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,270600.msg1950842.html#msg1950842

Splice is water proof but just to be safe I'm going to cover it with either liquid tape or RTV silicone, heat shrink it and then cover it again with liquid tape or RTV silicone again. I am not going to be changing the coils unless the coil breaks.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treas. hunter

i have done two excal coil replacements like u said, just cut off and splice new back in.

take a look around here, super shrink tube, i used the clear........3 sizes........small to cover first splice, then next size is larger and longer and again,the 3rd........larger and longer.

no failures yet.
http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine Electrical Supply/Heat Shrink Tubing/

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gravediggermax-vabeachva said:
treas. hunter

i have done two excal coil replacements like u said, just cut off and splice new back in.

take a look around here, super shrink tube, i used the clear........3 sizes........small to cover first splice, then next size is larger and longer and again,the 3rd........larger and longer.

no failures yet.
http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine Electrical Supply/Heat Shrink Tubing/

Thank you Max, that is what I am going to do.

Thank you for all your advice and help the last 3 years Max, your advise was one of the main reasons I got my first Sov GT with WOT coil.............

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Dixie Digger said:
Well I Will B 70 in January and I have no trouble hunting the WOT all day in the water.Thing is I don't swing it like I was using a weed whacker and I don't us a harness.Just hold your arm close 2 your body and kind of roll from side to side and set up a rhythm
BTW I LOVE guys that hunt with a 8 inch coil....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
Dixie Digger said:
Well I Will B 70 in January and I have no trouble hunting the WOT all day in the water.Thing is I don't swing it like I was using a weed whacker and I don't us a harness.Just hold your arm close 2 your body and kind of roll from side to side and set up a rhythm
BTW I LOVE guys that hunt with a 8 inch coil....

My friend, you do not move or look like you will be 70. :notworthy:

I could never use a 8 inch coil at the beach, I can hardly stand the 10 inch coil after being use to using the WOT. I look at the 10 inch on my excal, and to me it looks like the size of a coffee saucer, an 8 inch would look like a silver dollar.....

You just can't beat the a WOT or even the SEF coils (12X15 or 15X18) on the beach.

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
Where do you guys get the wot? And is that the only coil that you can use on the excal or can you use one of the SEF coils?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread