Caribbean

Marcus Aurelius

Greenie
Oct 20, 2009
Roswelll, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 w/11"coil
My wife and I are going on a cruise in the not so distant future to the Caribbean. We are contemplating bringing our Fisher F5 metal detector along to comb beaches in Panama, Costa Rica and Cayman Islands. Is this wise? Has anyone metal detected in these locations and offer advise on laws and do's & don'ts. I will offer finds and locations in exchange for anyone who has good thorough input and advice. It will be greatly appreciated !!!

Upvote 0

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi , This is coin finder, about the Cruise you will be going on, find out if you can ( Take your Metal Detector on the shipping Line that you are taking. some say NO ! that my 2- cent. ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius

Greenie
Oct 20, 2009
Roswelll, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 w/11"coil
I am going on a "Royal Caribbean" cruise. Want to know if others out there brought their metal detectors on cruise ships before. I am going to Cayman Islands, Panama and Costa Rica. Many possibilities, since these were Spanish and European trade routes during colonial times, if someone out there has metal detected in these countries without a hitch I sure would like to know. Again, any findings on my excursions, I will post them on this site and share locations. :headbang:

spritch

Sep 13, 2007
Commerce,Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites MXT
I have taken my detector on a Royal caribbean cruise albeit long ago. I spoke with the purser and they had no problem with me using it on the beaches. Came away with a 1765 silver Danish coin! (bad shape)
Stuart

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Mackaydon said:
My two cents: Take your MD and stay in the tourist areas (highly populated). If you venture into the back country and desolute beaches, you take on a greater degree of risks--of different types.

I have traveled all over the Caribbean and Central America and with out a doubt most of the crime happens in the tourist areas. That being said it's wise to pay attention no matter where you are. Get away from the tourists and learn a little about the island / country. You won't regret it.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have taken a few trips to the Caribbean on RCL and one on Celebrity last year. No problem with the detector. I carried it on disassembled in a bag and put it together on the beach. Never had a problem, except one guy who got a little testy at the prospect of my hunting around his patrons on the beach. I explained that I would be hunting in the water, gave him $20.00 and asked him to make sure my wife got all the booze she wanted. Problem solved. By the end of the cruise people I passed in the hall were giving me the " beep beep " It doesn't take long to be pegged as the metal detector geek. Beaches that the ship owned were the safest. Never saw anyone else with a detector, but the security screeners acted like they see them all the time.

Tek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread