Prohibited hunting areas?

Photoflash

Sep 2, 2007
Little Canada, MN
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8/Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm sure this question has been beaten to death at some point, but being from the North, and only able to spend about two weeks per year on the beaches, I have a couple of questions.

I have read some articles on surf/water hunting in Florida. My understanding is that there are a lot of prohibitions on where you can't hunt. Specifically, it appeared to me that you were/are prohibited from hunting out in the water, or at least not much more than ankle deep because the state has given certain salvors the rights to those areas.

I ask this because I never see any scuba or hookah guys out in the waters where I have been, mostly the beaches like South Beach, or even Haulover, and Hollywood.

Anyone have an answer on this.

Upvote 0

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
I will try to make a long story short? The vast majority of active leases are mid-state in Martin, St. Lucie or Indian River Counties. If you are interested in offshore work in that area, please visit the McLarty Museum near Sebastian where they have a comprehensive map up on the wall. You *can* detect the beaches in this area.

The Biscayne National Park and Everglades National Park are closed.

I'm not sure what goes in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. although I have searched public beaches in that area without problems. The biggest problem is the rocky, thin, hard to dig beaches in the Keys.

Florida State Parks are a conundrum. Some Rangers believe you can search from the toe of the dune to the high tide mark. Some believe you can only search below the high tide line. Check each park for the belief structure there.

99 percent of the beaches, including South Beach, Haulover, Hollywood, etc. are open. Have a good time and remember to fill your holes.

Chip V.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know where your going to detect and we can let you know the rules. The majority of the beaches are open including in the water. Only the Treasure beaches and a few small places are off limits. All National park, National seashore reserve areas are off limits just as all National Parks are off limits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread