In or Out?

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No not should I hunt in or out of the water.... Do you think the waves that carry items out to sea can bring items up from the sea? I found a coin line right tight to the dunes 3 ft wide or so... after tumbling to clean I notice I had an unusually large amount of <1970 coins. Since we had the hurricanes 5 years ago or so that really washed out the beach I can only surmise that they have washed in. They all were found shallow like 2 in or less, with newer mixed in. So if that happens with coins how bout the real goodies we all seek? So what say ya'll?

Upvote 0

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
I've tried to figure out the science of what goes on at the beach and I found it drove me crazy. It's unpredictable here in Hawaii anyway, the sand moves and shifts so much. I don't sweat it to much and have fun. ;D

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
There was an author who hunted the outer banks and wrote a book/pamphlet/guide on beach hunting. Pretty basic stuff, but near the end, he mentions his theory about the winter/summer tides/currents. In his experience (20+ years), he has found the older stuff washing in during the winter.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
There was an author who hunted the outer banks and wrote a book/pamphlet/guide on beach hunting. Pretty basic stuff, but near the end, he mentions his theory about the winter/summer tides/currents. In his experience (20+ years), he has found the older stuff washing in during the winter.

The Golden Olde ?
http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/oldego3.htm

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS where were you hunting, they renourished many beaches and it may be the sand from that is starting to get back down to the original beach line , a lot of sand was dumped in New Symrna area, while Daytona was not as bad and the ocean took care of it..................

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't a re nourished area... no aluminum shreds like other places, the PI woulda told me. Thats what was strange it was too clean... :thumbsup:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
GibH said:
Diver_Down said:

The Golden Olde ?
http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/oldego3.htm

The author's name was Donald Barthel.

D

digum smacks

heres my take.fist every beach is different.on the west coast of florida"my opinion"."rarely" do the heavier items rings etc. move "in" or "out"due to lack of bigger wave action.their movement is up or down.coins have flat surfaces causing them to move easily with waves.there was a ring found almost in the same exact spot lost 40 years ago.strong storms and hurricanes move stuff around easily.the sand on this coast is different its quartz sand.compared to the east coast sand of coral sand.quartz is more durable than coral therefore the beaches over here will last much much longer than the east coast,also when rings sink here they will be down for awhile because the sand is harder packed.

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
snooksion2 said:
here's my take.fist every beach is different.on the west coast of florida"my opinion"."rarely" do the heavier items rings etc. move "in" or "out"due to lack of bigger wave action.their movement is up or down.coins have flat surfaces causing them to move easily with waves.there was a ring found almost in the same exact spot lost 40 years ago.strong storms and hurricanes move stuff around easily.the sand on this coast is different its quartz sand.compared to the east coast sand of coral sand.quartz is more durable than coral therefore the beaches over here will last much much longer than the east coast,also when rings sink here they will be down for awhile because the sand is harder packed.

I work the same beaches over and over and I am always amazed how they seem to replenish them selves. I will give you an example of what I experienced on one beach. I had always stayed away from this particular beach because it was always changing configuration, one day it would be covered with cobble stones of all sizes up to say 6", the next time it may have a foot of fluffy sand I just never new how to approach this beach. One day I went there and it looked perfect, no rocks and sold sand to a depth of say 20" before hardpack. That day I found 6 rings 4 were gold one tungsten the other silver. I worked it hard for a week straight and did find 4 more rings. I would say I worked it out. I have been back to that beach say 30 times at least and continue to pull rings out of the same areas again and again. I believe that the weight and shape of items will determine the location these items settle and obviously gold will settle deeper than the others. I find certain areas collect different types of items. You just have to stay with it until you find the right condition. I have found over 30 rings on this one beach in the last year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread