Waterproofing a Sovereign GT

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Dirtydog... welcome if I haven't welcomed you yet. The Pelican box is the preferred method, but the master to ask on this is Treasure_Hunter as he has done a few of them and can help you. You also might want to ask Max of VA. Max also uses one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman,

I appreciate the complements but I am not a master, I didn't waterproof mine, I lucked out and found it posted on the forsale board for $600 about 20 mins after it was posted. The seller was going through a divorce and needed money quick. I was first to say I will take it with about a dozen buyers behind me. It came with the wot coil, battery back, akaline battery pack, and he used a brand new Sovereign GT when he bade it,

Here are pictures of mine, it is in an Ikelite waterproof camera case. It has never leaked a single drop, and can be used as a life preserver.... :laughing9:

While walking out to an outer sandbar one day, I misjudged were to cross and walked into a trough between the two sandbars about 7 foot deep, I popped up to the surface because of the case and used it as a float to get to the outer sandbar. I can't dive with it, but I can hunt as deep as I can with my Excals, I just release the waist belt and use only the shoulder harness when I am chest deep.

Here is a website that sells the cases. My case is the one at top for $209, there is a smaller version for $161 that would probably work too. He had over $1300 in it when I bought it from him.

http://www.gifts.com/products/B/Ike...?p=6826:946083492:139&kwd=ikelite+underwater:

DSC02143.jpg

Most of the controls were extended to the outside of the case, he left the switches for Iron mask, Tracking, Silent Search and Noise Cancel inside the case which is fine with me as I don't adjust those often during a hunt..

WaterproofedGT1.jpg

WaterproofedGT2.jpg

It is hardwired into the case at the moment. I am thinking about putting a waterproof connector from the same company the splices for the WOT come from on the bottom of Ikelite case instead of the hardwire, then I can quickly change out coils on the waterproof Sovereign GT if I wish or need to.

DSC02144.jpg

I plan on splicing a WOT coil into my new (used) Excal this weekend. I am making my own aluminum straight shaft for it, using the Florida Straight Shaft I have on my other Excal as a pattern.. This will give me a Excal 1000 with 10 inch coil, A Excal 1000 with the 15 inch WOT coil, and the Waterproof Sovereign GT with WOT coil for my water hunting.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
yep TH has a great set up there,about the best iv seen.iv done a couple in GSI Lexan box's but i dont expose the knobs.i just set it at the beach and close it up.

ToniSteve

May 23, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
2 Tesoro Tiger Sharks, Sovereign GT, Excaliber 1000, XL Pro, IDX Pro with Mods, M-6, Minelab MusketeerAdvantage,
Hello,
Best one I have seen also.
Nice clean job on that Sov, the box and all the other stuff to make it happen are quite expensive but worth it if you love the Sov. I wonder what it weighs in at? How much different is the Sov from the already water proofed Excal?

Best Regards,
Steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well to be honest I have never weighed it. I use a dive belt and a shoulder harness when I hunt with it to help distribute the weight so its not all on my waist. I will weigh it and post it later.

The tones are different then the Excal, hard to describe other then to me they are richer. I still love the Excal, and Pockets and I just spliced in a WOT coil on my new Excal today. I will show pictures of it later when it is finished, still working on the extended shaft.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
If I don't pass another kidney stone tonight... :'( I'll post some pictures of the Splices.. with the New Waterproof Connectors.

Treasure_Hunter said:
Well to be honest I have never weighed it. I use a dive belt and a shoulder harness when I hunt with it to help distribute the weight so its not all on my waist. I will weigh it and post it later.

The tones are different then the Excal, hard to describe other then to me they are richer. I still love the Excal, and Pockets and I just spliced in a WOT coil on my new Excal today. I will show pictures of it later when it is finished, still working on the extended shaft.

Pockets post it on a new thread, I will take pictures of the completed Excal mod, including the waterproof splice and the straight shaft, once I pick up the handle from a bike shop and put it on the shaft, I will add the pictures to your thread.

You did an excellent job on the splice, I have no concerns about it leaking at all after viewing the connectors, the double o-rings, RTG Silicone, and watching the way it fits together, very professional my friend. I will order another splice and we can put my spare WOT on my other Excal as well.

Man, 2 Excals with WOT coils hard wired on, I will be on cloud 9. There is a chance IDA will cross over North Florida and send nasty waves down the NE side of Florida, if that happens I will be out on the beach with the new modded Excal if your up for it.........I am beginning to feel a little under the weather, maybe I can make it till Friday. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread