11-5 finds

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got down to the beach about 8:25 a.m. and hunted until 4:30 p.m.

I used the Sov GT in all metal to search the wet sand. I found lots of bobby pins, fish hooks and crab trap pieces.

I'm beat, here are the pics

24 coins= $1.71
549.JPG

Junk jewelry
550.JPG
551.JPG

Last but not least 10kt pendant
552.JPG

7KW 10KT ITALY
553.JPG

Upvote 0

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet you had a smile on your face seeing that pendent in the scoop.

It's been a while for me. I've kind of forgot what it looks like. :laughing9:

Congrats.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Capt JP.

I didn't think the pendant was gold. It was a little bent when I scooped it up and it was pretty light. I had to wait to get home to see the markings with my loupe. It was a nice surprise.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willie, why are you digging bobbypins, and crabtrap pieces, are you hunting in all metal? My Sovereign GT usually nulls on them or at worst gives me a really bad signal that is recognizable as trash?

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Willie, why are you digging bobbypins, and crabtrap pieces, are you hunting in all metal? My Sovereign GT usually nulls on them or at worst gives me a really bad signal that is recognizable as trash?
It was a slow day and I figured I would dig every target in the wet sand, junk or not.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AAAAhhhh, that explains it, been there, done that too. Nice find on the gold...... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
willie d said:
I got down to the beach about 8:25 a.m. and hunted until 4:30 p.m.

I used the Sov GT in all metal to search the wet sand. I found lots of bobby pins, fish hooks and crab trap pieces.

I'm beat, here are the pics

24 coins= $1.71

Junk jewelry

Last but not least 10kt pendant

7KW 10KT ITALY

Don'tr get me wrong, just trying to learn, I have been using a Sov Gt at the beach for over a year now and have had great sucess using it in the discrimiation mode, please let me know why do you hunt in the all metal mode? Just seems to me you are exposing a lot of un wanted junk (nails etc.) The only thing I can think of is you have iron artifacts in your area?
Hope to see you responce soon and good luck at the beach

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do hunt in the all metal mode (pinpoint) on both my Excal, and Sovereign with the WOT coils especially on many of my hunts because you go deeper in all metal, when target is found I switch to disc to see if it nulls out, if I get no signal, good signal or a faint signal I continue to dig, if it nulls then I move on.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started hunting sometimes in all metal (pin point mode) since I realized my Excal sometimes doesn't pick up certain items that it should. For example I had a signal in all metal and not in disc (with disc on 1). Since I didn't have any luck that day I decided I would dig the item. I was in neck deep water, the scoop went down to an item that was maybe an inch under the sand. The item turned out to be a 14k white gold diamond ring. When I went to the car I passed the ring under the coil in disc mode, I could hear it loud and clear. I don't know if there was maybe something else near it that may have hidden the signal.

I've also found that when there are a lot of steel items in the water it can block the good signals. We have been extracting coins from a boat wreck that has a mix of steel tokens and copper coins (also a few silver). The problem is in the disc mode I can pass the coil over and not hear one signal. When I switch to pin point, there are signals everywhere. Mixed within those signals everywhere are copper coins.

The disc mode is there for it's purpose. One just has to use judgement of when and where to use it. Personally I use it 80% of the time.

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
Thanks for the info guys, I need all the help I can get, just for fun I am posting the better rings I have found in the past month.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 268
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 262
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG