Beach Detector

Marcus Aurelius

Greenie
Oct 20, 2009
Roswelll, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 w/11"coil
As a new hobbyist, I have the bug ! I have a Fisher F5 w/11"coil. I love this detector and it is easy to use and understand so far. I am contemplating buying another detector around Christmas time. I am looking to buy a Minelab Excalibur II for combing wet and dry beach and to go deeper. I have read many good articles concerning this particular detector saying it is the best detector out there for beach combing in wet and dry sand and finding deep relics of all kind. Before I shell out $1,200, I would like to get an honest opinion from the seasoned metal detectors out there concerning the Excalibur to see if it is worth it or if it's just advertised hype. I would appreciate all feed backs, happy hunting :-)

Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Well I own 3 of them-does that answer you qusestion? :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recommend the Excal. Get the 1000 with the larger coil for covering more area per sweep. If you aren't planning to get in the water the Soveign GT is the better buy with more features and less money being the land version. You can use headphones or not, Change coils, silent search, All Metal mode, Iron mask on or off, and a few more. Many get the Sov GT and the WOT coil to get it all.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you think about a good used Excal 1000, they are out there and you can pick a good one up for $600-$800 used. Minelabs Warranty is only 1 year now and they no longer sell the extended warranty. You can either buy a lot of extras with the $400-$600 saved, or it could pay for a bunch of future trips to the repair shop that you will probably never need anyway.

I have bought 3 used Excals alone, and currently still have 2 used Excal 1000s, in the last 3 years I have a total of $150 in repair between all 3. Still no where near the price of what a new one would have cost me......

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
the Excal and CZ 21 are the top pic's for salt water beach's..iv got both and like them each for diff reasons.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Dixie Digger is right. I like my Excal but the CZ-20 and Tiger Shark and Surf PI pro are also favorites for different reasons and seasons.

Hank

Oct 25, 2004
Charlotte,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, BH, Tesoro, et al
erikk said:

Maybe you bought into a low tech, high priced "PILTDOWN" hoax, or plainer words the proverbial 'pig-a-a-poke'?

Just Joking! :)

But let me inject some a priori speculation. If one dares [!]to assume the technology, relative components, and quality are alike in many units and their makers; there can be little difference in detector A or B. Inexpensive units share the same value as their high end opposites.

Message. IMHO, buy the low to medium priced unit.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You can check out my psoting "Back In Business". I've owned this machine since 1990. the only thing left that is original is the S shaft. It's been rebuilt about 3 times. Here is a little test that sold me on the Excalibur. Take any detector and take a big iron nail and place any gold ring on it. Pass the ring/nail under any metal detector in nail setting and they will discriminate the nail and ring. Do the same under the Excalibur coil and it doesn't discriminate the nail but ignores it as a null and rings on the Gold ring. That's what sold me on Minelab. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Florida Sand Digger

Jun 16, 2009
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX w/Bigfoot coil, BHID, SMPI
I do not own a Minelab, but , like you have been considering purchasing one. There is one thing that I have noticed that has been consistant with these machines, is that , yes, they are one of the best machines for surf hunting on the market, as long as the machine works. If the machine breaks, it often take multiple time of sending it back and forth to Minelab, to get it repaired. You here people all the time say, "I miss my my Excal, I had to send it in again, they didn't fix it the last time I sent it in. You read posts on here all the time of how many times they had to send their machine in for repair. You don't here those stories about Whites, Fisher or Tesoro, It seems to only be Minelab.

So, to make a long story short, in my opinion, the Excal is a great machine, but Minelabs Customer Service is very poor, at best. Someone said earlier that they own three Excals, I can't help but wonder why. Is it because one or two of them are at minelab for repair, and by having three Excals, he will have at least one working machine, while the others are being repaired? Will that stop me from buying an Excal, probably not, I still want one.

HH
Digger

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Hank said:
erikk said:

Maybe you bought into a low tech, high priced "PILTDOWN" hoax, or plainer words the proverbial 'pig-a-a-poke'?

Just Joking! :)

But let me inject some a priori speculation. If one dares [!]to assume the technology, relative components, and quality are alike in many units and their makers; there can be little difference in detector A or B. Inexpensive units share the same value as their high end opposites.

Message. IMHO, buy the low to medium priced unit.

GOOD IDEA-HOPE EVERYONE follows your advice!!! (:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have own 3 Excals, still own 2, and currently own 2 Sovereign GT's all but 1 were bought used, between the 5 there has been a total of 2 trips to Minelab repair, total of $150 and no problems when they were returned to me... If the need arises, I would not hesitate to buy another Excal or Minelab................

I will admit, it is to my advantage if the local water hunters in my area choose another detector.......... Hopefull they will all run out and buy the Beach Cobra.........;D

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My Excal needed repairs. Out the door/In the door. four weeks!
No complaints from me. The job was done correctly the first time.

Ralph

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
My excalibur is back in the shop again. The first time it was a six week turn-around.

They replaced the circuit board and the coil. No charge, under warranty.

When I got it back and tested it, it still had problems (worse than when I sent it in), so I sent it back for repairs again.

I expect it will take the same 4 to 6 weeks to get it back. Hopefully they'll get it right this time.

In the meantime I'm using my 'backup' detectors - a Whites Beachhunter 300 or a Minelab Sovereign GT.

I think you'll find that most excalibur owners have at least two detectors, so if one breaks, you have a backup machine.

Probably a good strategy no matter what brand detector you have.

Would I buy another one Excalibur? No.

I'd get a Whites Beachhunter 300 with the 12" coil, which costs about $400 less than the excalibur, and works great on the beach and in the water.

Will I be selling my Excalibur when they send it back if it works correctly?

Probably not, because when it works it is a great detector.

Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Beach Hunter ID, leaked twice on me while under warranty, all detectors have a few units that have problems. Whites was using a defective seal, yet they said nothing to me about the seal being defective, they covered the repairs, but I had to pay to ship it back twice.

No matter what make of water detector I have, I will always have a back up unit, probably more then one. Water detecting is different then land, after a storm or heavy surf you have to have the ability to hunt no matter what.

B

Big1011Guy

Marcus Aurelius said:
As a new hobbyist, I have the bug ! I have a Fisher F5 w/11"coil. I love this detector and it is easy to use and understand so far. I am contemplating buying another detector around Christmas time. I am looking to buy a Minelab Excalibur II for combing wet and dry beach and to go deeper. I have read many good articles concerning this particular detector saying it is the best detector out there for beach combing in wet and dry sand and finding deep relics of all kind. Before I shell out $1,200, I would like to get an honest opinion from the seasoned metal detectors out there concerning the Excalibur to see if it is worth it or if it's just advertised hype. I would appreciate all feed backs, happy hunting :-)

I bought a Used Garrett Sea Hunter for $575.00 In June 2009. I could not afford the Excal even though the Beach Metal Detectorists I have met own and recommend the Excal. I am Extremely Happy with my decision. The Sea Hunter is Built Solid and so far worked every time I wanted to head to the beach (Knock On Wood). It is a PI Machine and I don't Mind Diggin' up the metal junk along with the coins and jewelry.
Happy Sea Hunter Mark II Owner,
Guy

Attachments

• Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II Metal Detector 002.JPG
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II Metal Detector 002.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 430
  • Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II Metal Detector 002.JPG
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II Metal Detector 002.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 425

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
The Excals are great when they work. 4 to 6 weeks turn around to have a detector fixed is just way two long.
Any Whites I have had to return was a week or less turn around. Minelab makes good detectors there customer service just
is way below par in my opinion.

Jason

B

Big1011Guy

Just Curious, Does anybody know what the Repair Turnaround Time Is for a Garrett Product. :dontknow:
I haven't seen anybody complain about Garrett Products breaking down and having to send It Off to the Repair Shop, HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!! This Is Your Sign!!!!!!!!!! :laughing7:
Proud Owner Of A Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
Guy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in TN said:
The Excals are great when they work. 4 to 6 weeks turn around to have a detector fixed is just way two long.
Any Whites I have had to return was a week or less turn around. Minelab makes good detectors there customer service just
is way below par in my opinion.

Jason

I have had a Minelab in the shop twice, one took 2 weeks, the other took 3.5 weeks turn around door to door. Both of the times that I sent in my Whites Beach Hunter ID when it leaked internally, it took 2.5 weeks round trip door to door. You must have lived real close to the repair facility for Whites, it is 2400 miles round trip from Orlando to Minelab in Las Vegas, UPS is 5 days to and 5 days back from Orlando on ground shipping, so 10 days of each trip was in transit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread