Traveling with Metal Detector??

ugogirl

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
I will be traveling to Hawaii this weekend and plan on bringing the Metal Detector. My concern is traveling with the sand scoop. A 48" piece of solid stainless steel is no easy item to pack! Does anyone have experience with getting this through security? Can I just tag the scoop and check it as luggage? Otherwise I am looking at a hard golf club case to carry the scoop and MD.

I'm hoping to hook up with Ringman for a hunt while on the Island.

Pat

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a suitcase where it willfix into. I don't know what airline you are flying on but some charge you for your luggage. I would see if you can borrow a large suitcase and pack it.....Matt

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Might be easier to ship it to your destination. Kind of short notice, but it is doable. In fact, shipping all your luggage might make the trip more enjoyable. Door to Door and you don't have to worry about lost luggage, jockeying for position at the baggage carousel, etc.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
I just tagged mine and it went in with my baggage. Shipping it could be expensive. I didn't have any problems. The only issue I had was that I took my detector off the rod and carried it on the jet. As I was going through security screening they pulled me to the side and I explained to them about metal detecting lol and gave them a demonstration on how well it worked. They all laughed and said to have fun.
On an additional note, there are some beaches that detecting is not allowed. So please check the areas before you start detecting. Let us know how successful you were on the beaches.

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2
Go to the scuba shop and buy your self a pelican case , it is the strongest case for trip overseas. Plus you can lock it up. One for your detector will cost about $50 to $150 . it's up to you how big it need to be , just remember you don't need all of your gear to hunt on the beach's . Hope is will help , Good luck hunting :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ugogirl

ugogirl

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
I was prepared to buy the Pelican 1750 until I found out the sand scoop wouldn't fit. The next size up in case was double the price.

I was able to pick up a hard golf club case on sale for around $70. Enough room for the detector and scoop in one case.

Pat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread