Upvote 0

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I do on oxide silver coins sometimes. Boils some water make a homemade alunimum foil boat. Set the quarter in the boat with some baking soda and salt. After a few minutes boating around in the water I pull it out and shine it up with baking soda never met one I couldn't shine up that way. Would never do it with any silver coin worth money just basic silver coins ie Washingtons and Rosevelts.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am confused. I hunted for a long while in Ga. Are you speaking of pure silver coins? If they are not key dates or have no significant value, try initially to rub toothpaste on them. Wet them first, then smear toothpaste on them and rub between your finger and thumb. I believe you will get good results.

There are some posts somewhere on here about making a home electrolysis device. I made mine using the instructions. I will try to find it and get it to you.

DaChief

B

Big1011Guy

Marcus Aurelius said:
I have recovered a few pre-1966 coin quarters with silver, they are oxidized pretty bad because of the iron minerals in Georgia clay. Can anyone steer me in the right direction how to restore these coins? Electrolysis? How too, articles? websites, etc? :read2:

My Homemade Electrolysis Set-up:

1/2 Gallon Plastic Bucket Of Water.
(2) Teaspoons Baking Soda.
Audiovox Cell Phone Charger (Output: 5.0 volts - 1.0 amps), Low and Slow.
(1) Piece Of Stainless (1/8" Thick x 3/4" wide x 10" Long) On Positive lead Alligator Clip - Do Not let Positive Alligator Clip Touch the Water, cause It Will Disintegrate right along with the Stainless Piece.
Item to clean on Negative lead Alligator Clip - OK to put the Alligator Clip in the water.
DO NOT let the Stainless Piece and the Piece to be Cleaned Touch Each Other.
You now have a Homemade Electrolysis Unit. See Attached Pictures.

I give props where they are deserved - Tytherelichunter is the person that I got this info from. He has a Blog on Google Blogger Titled Electrolysis...How To, Check it out.
AS HE STATES: You Are Working with Electricity So UNPLUG THE CHARGER BEFORE TOUCHING ANYTHING AND BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!

This is as Quick Description of My Set-Up as I Can Give laughing7
Guy

Attachments

• Electrolysis Of Items 001.JPG
    Electrolysis Of Items 001.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Electrolysis Of Items 003.JPG
    Electrolysis Of Items 003.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Electrolysis Of Items 002.JPG
    Electrolysis Of Items 002.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 292
  • Electrolysis Of Items 001.JPG
    Electrolysis Of Items 001.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 285
  • Electrolysis Of Items 003.JPG
    Electrolysis Of Items 003.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 299
  • Electrolysis Of Items 002.JPG
    Electrolysis Of Items 002.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 308

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good one there. Mine is identical except the container. I use a plastic Folgers Coffee Container with a screw on lid. I don't use the lid when cleaning but I put all the stuff inside the container once I am done and have a handy secure storage device.

One other thing is that the strength of the dc power source you use will have and impact on the item. The stronger the source, the more likely it will be that you can damage your coins. Keep the amps down to a reasonable rate like Marcus has on his. Like he says, low and slow. You can cook a coin easily if you go too high with the power. If you are like me, you have humpteen of those old chargers laying around the house from everything you don't use anymore.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread