Cell Phones do cause problems with metal detectors.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you mentioned it Sandman, whenever my computer is turned on, I have to turn off my cell phone because it causes feedback sound through the computer's speakers.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is interesting... When I install new batteries in a detector I have to be careful to not touch the poles of the batteries or it flexes the metal plate in my head and I forget my name an pee my pants. :tongue3:

I think some of the bad reports we hear from hunters blaming their detectors is mainly because of outside interference.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes indeed --cell phones can and do cause emf (electro magnetic feild) problems --in plain words it messes with the electrical "charged" feild your detector makes under its coil * the feild normally reacts when it comes upon metal -- how strongly the detector's feild reacts to the metal (conductivity wize) in all metal mode thats its found metal --- and in disc mode it helps it figger out what type of metal its found.

thus anything that produces a electrical signal can interfere with your detector by messing with its feild -- somethings are especially known to do this ---power lines both above and below ground and cell phone are well known offenders.

because of these issues most folks do not hunt near powerlines --however in some cases the areas can be hunted by just lowering ones sensitivity levels so that the machine does not "pick up" the back ground emf -- one gets less depth true ,but one can then hunt areas often passed over by other detectorist for years.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
That is interesting... When I install new batteries in a detector I have to be careful to not touch the poles of the batteries or it flexes the metal plate in my head and I forget my name an pee my pants. :tongue3:

I think some of the bad reports we hear from hunters blaming their detectors is mainly because of outside interference.

:sign10: Well, I don't know about that. (thank God, amen). My cell phone causes feedback through my computer speakers when it's just laying on my desk. so mainly, it proves there's a tracking signal going out even when I'm not using it. So, for privacy, I keep the phone turned off unless I need to use it. That signal can probably cause some amount of interference with your detector even though you're not talking on it. This could be really true since so many people set their Sens. level as high as possible and the "cone of detection" is as powerful ABOVE the coil as it is below it.

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
I have a Sov GT.......and know for sure that I had better days on the beach when my phone was turned off.......unfortunatley.....the nights were worse when I finally got home to the wife.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
them dang cell phones drive me nuts but I don't carry mine with me detecting, the ones that drive me nuts is all the ones I find in the water while detecting...I hate digging them

ocjeff

Oct 14, 2009
ocean city maryland
Detector(s) used
excalibur, cz20, v3
your right sandman, i do not remember people standing in lines to use a pay phone before cell phones came around. but it seems these days they must be on them 24/7. jeff

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Me and my "bitter-half" both use GTs... even if she's on "1" and I'm on "2"...
I still have to tell her... "Get away, woman!".

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
cell phones if on -- not just in use only --but just on---still send out signals that can interfere with detectors -- when detecting I carry one for safety but its turned totally off .

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had a problem, usually don't carry it though but sometimes I do. Now big Kv wires will.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CDMA frequency doesn't do this... just the GSM. ::)
I wish I could give away a free iPhone to every one of you... as I follow close behind, picking up everything you miss! Heh, heh... ;D

Bran <><

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
I wish I could give away a free iPhone to every one of you... as I follow close behind, picking up everything you miss! Heh, heh... ;D

Bran <><

Wellllllll, follow Sandman so he can PEE on ya. :laughing9:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
godisnum1 said:

Bran <><

Wellllllll, follow Sandman so he can PEE on ya. :laughing9:

Hopefully he'll have his wetsuit on... :-X

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread