An adventure

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I’ve been watching all of the kayaks going up and down the river all summer long. It looks fun and not hard to do. I talked to several older women that have them and they love them. They told me that their kayaks fit right in their cars and they are so light that they have no trouble loading and unloading them. Sooooo I’ve been watching for a nice small used kayak that I could try out. Finally I found one. Now looking at it … it just looks like a big Tupperware toy boat.

100_4598sm.jpg
It is!

I call this picture.... A dry run. LOL

100_4591sm.jpg

But the kayak does not fit in my car. So I had to take the pickup. Now our pickup is a BIG chevy 2500 and sits pretty high so it was not that easy for me to lift the kayak high enough to get it in the back but I made it.

I got there early and since it was my first time I was hoping no one would be around to see how clumsy I was. I got lucky… no one around. I got the kayak out easy enough much easier that getting it into the truck. Then I had to figure out how to snap the backrest in. I don’t think I got it right because it really didn’t give me any support at all. I managed to get into it and out into the river. ALLLL RIGHTTTT I am paddeling down the river and it’s pretty and quiet. I love it!

100_4578sm.jpg

Hmmmm not too bad for a first time. But I didn’t remember the current. I wanted to go one way but the current wanted me to go the other. LOL I did several full circles before I got the hang of it. I certainly wasn’t going in a very straight line! I didn’t go very far because without a back rest I got tired real fast. Oh well for a first time I think I did pretty good. So back to the dock and get the kayak loaded so I could get in the water and hunt for a while. I got real lucky here because one of the guys that was cleaning up around there offered to help me lift it back into the truck. As I was doing that another kayaker pulled in and his kayak fit in his car but he had a small suv. I decided to watch him unload and get into the water so I could learn a little. I don’t think he was real experienced either because he seemed to be having trouble getting his stuff together. He even slipped going down the ramp but was able to catch himself before he fell all the way. Now I was beginning to feel better.

Anyway he fumbled around for a while and finally got started and away from the dock. About that time… here comes my daughter. My first thought was something was wrong. Maybe they tried to get a hold of me and I didn’t take my cell phone in the water with me but no… that wasn’t it. They noticed that I had taken the kayak this morning and she told my husband that she was going to take pictures of me in the kayak. She got there too late because I had already loaded it back up. She was disappointed so I agreed to unload it and get back in so she could take pictures. She got a few but she missed the best one. I am moving along just fine and then all of a sudden...

100_4581sm.jpg

Yep! I dumped over!

100_4584sm.jpg

100_4585sm.jpg

100_4587sm.jpg

I was doing so well too and then all of a sudden…. Over I went. It must have been a sight and she missed it. LOL Well, alls well that ends well. I got out. I got to try the kayak (I need a lot of practice), I met two other MD’ers and got to hunt for a while. My total finds for this morning was 1 quarter and 2 pennies and a lot of fun and few laughs. Not bad.

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, you'll love it... now ya know where I got my name... :thumbsup:
LongPoint003.jpg

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mummsy dear, you sure need to wear a life jacket. Not scolding, just worried about you. Glad you enjoyed your adventure. Monty

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Monty said:
Mummsy dear, you sure need to wear a life jacket. Not scolding, just worried about you. Glad you enjoyed your adventure. Monty

I have a life jacket but I was in very shallow water and had no intention of going very far until I am comfortable with doing this. I will definitely wear a vest then.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
S.S.Tupperware said:
Sweet, you'll love it... now ya know where I got my name... :thumbsup:
LongPoint003.jpg

WOW now that is a kayak. If I ever get the hang of this I will get a better one and one a little bigger. Yours is fantastic!

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i used to live in Winter Haven Fl and fished a lot from my bass boat but it was 19'long...CAUTION iv seen Gators take off from the bank that could almost turn my boat over!

Emeraldeyes

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2009
Yep!!!! I got the pleasure of witnessing Mumszie in her new adventure, However I am no pro but I think your suppose to ride in the kayak and not under it. Ha! Ha! Love you mom.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
way to go and I am sure you will get the hang of it soon, it takes a lot more strength than one would think... and metal detectors fit in kayaks by the way ;D my first experience in a kayak was crossing the ship channel and let me tell you the boats aimed at you and tried to roll you! I should of paddled around a swimming pool or something first to practice, but no, I had to go all out and go for the gusto. Half way over to the island where I was heading to detect, we hit a thunderstorm, and once we finally got on land we curled up under the kayaks for a good hour while the storm passed. Then we were off detecting, which was the best part being able to get to places with the detector that others have not. I did not look forward to crossing the channel again and the wind was against me. Thank God I did not roll because I probably would of been shark bait. Watch out for gators in the river, I don't know about there but here we run across a few while we are out from time to time. I am terrified of boats. I once was caught in a boat during a storm on a lake while deer hunting(this is a true redneck story) and it turned over, and I drowned and had to be revived on shore we also lost both guns, the boat motor and 8pt and 9pt bucks. So every since I avoid boats, and deep water . But lately I have been conquering those fears, by going snorkling, diving, the kayak, a speed boat, etc. I still don't like it but atleast I am overcoming it. Jet skis don't bother me though, atlest not if I am the one in control...go figure!

Ozzygold

Jan 9, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites PI Surf
Thanks for putting a smile on my face today, I'm proud of ya! I hope that you paddle up a river some day with a water proof detector and nail something really nice. You are a legend mumszie :thumbsup:

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me know how skydiving is if you ever do it. I had a friend growing up that got into it and loved it. As for me I freaked out on a carnival ride that my daughter talked me into the other night. All I could think while twisting and spinning and swinging at high rates of speed stories above the ground was..I am freaking out of my mind,God just make it stop, and I am so glad I didn't eat before going. Ofcourse my daughter is telling me mom your wasting your tickets if you don't open your eyes, and I am thinking--honey if I open my eyes I would probably pass out or throw up. Must be an age thing, because as a kid I use to love all those rides. Ofcourse they have came a long way from the zipper ride we had as kids. I almost did the bungee jumping a few years back..thank God I came to my senses when I seen a poor girl pass out once she jumped. I am just not that much of an adventurer. So to those of you who are WTG...that stuff takes guts!

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If ya get a longer one it will be more stable, that small short yak is just plain squirrley...

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you leave water in your bathtub too long in Florida, a gator will eventually show up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions