River detecting - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    134 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: River detecting

Last I heard we were between 14 and 17 inches below normal. The weather guessers say that is the lowest since dust bowl days. The Arkansas River runs about a mile from my house and it's just a trickle lately. Apparently they're holding the lake level up or not generating electricitiy. Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Feb 2005
    On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
    3 times

Re: River detecting

Hey QC

Just another thought on river detecting. I live on a river in northern Michigan with an average 7mph flow rate and in winter it will freeze completely across (about 300 ft.). Then what happens is during the spring thaw when the ice starts to break up and flow, it scrubs the bottom and in some years completely changes the bottom structure. I've seen huge boulders just disappear downstream during the ice breakup. The river is completely wadeable in the summer except for the bend holes that get up to 15ft. deep.

An example is this past summer while I was fishing a nice hole downstream from my place I snagged what turned out to be a lawn chair. After dragging it out and mentioning it to my neighbor two doors upstream, they said it was theirs...one of their kids had left it in less than a foot of water the previous fall. It was carried more than half a mile downstream.

So, if the river freezes I would head for the holes...my guess is that's where all the good stuff is lying.
    "The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"    (Paul Fix)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links