River detecting

Q

Q.C.man

Forgive the redundency, I originally posted this in M ding ing

This is what I'm up against. The area I'm at is renown for its river rafting that has been going on for approx 45 years. In this time there have been thousands of rafts that have been dumped going through the rapids and countless rings watches and other personal items have been lost. This river drops considerably during the hot dry months of summer and can be detected. where is all this stuff going to be found. I've tried once at the base of one of the biggest rapids last summer with out any sucess to speak of. When I was in high school I worked for one of the rafting co. and remember one man stating that he had lost his rolex.I sure would like to find it. Any one with tips on working a small river and areas to check, I know some of the obvious but would like all suggestions.

Upvote 0

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
It is nice to see somerone has had the same thoughts on river recovery, what state are you talking about, I have had dreams of a California river, same thing, thousands have been through it and have lost countless items, I would start thinking the river structure
where the water slows it flow and areas where items can trap, boulders etc. think of it as in gold recovery, but the only problem is
gold jewlery and watches w/bands have external mass vs weight, keep on looking when you do find something stay in the area as there may be more. H H

OP
OP
Q

Q.C.man

beeper said:
It is nice to see somerone has had the same thoughts on river recovery, what state are you talking about, I have had dreams of a California river, same thing, thousands have been through it and have lost countless items, I would start thinking the river structure
where the water slows it flow and areas where items can trap, boulders etc. think of it as in gold recovery, but the only problem is
gold jewlery and watches w/bands have external mass vs weight, keep on looking when you do find something stay in the area as there may be more. H H
Thanks for the reply Beeper,
I'm in Northern Wi. to much ice to look now. Can't wait till summer because this river will be my total focus. I didn't put it in words but the flow of gold in a river was my exact thought also. I was very disappointed when I did not find anything of value except one unopened PBR with snails attached. I think I just need to put in the time.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the water is high, it obviously is going to move things downstream. I'd look for eddies in the high water , snags or big boulders and deep holes will all accumulate things. Remember where they were at high water and check when the water is down. Monty

OP
OP
Q

Q.C.man

Monty said:
When the water is high, it obviously is going to move things downstream.? I'd look for eddies in the high water , snags or big boulders and deep holes will all accumulate things.? Remember where they were at high water and check when the water is down.? ?Monty
thanks Monty. Good suggestion. I will be checking it out. Your answer implies that you have worked some rivers. Any success?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, no river hunting, but I am familiar with the way water flows and where stuff accumulates.? I live about a mile from a major reservoir and river and I know the fish hide in those places where the current deposits food, so why wouldn't goodies work the same?? Monty

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
A rather timely topic for me. Thanks.

The gov't drains the local river here in Jan. and Feb so the folks who live along it can fix their docks, do maintenance on bullwarks, etc. Today is the day they start draining the upper part of the river (it's only about 4-6' deep in most parts)!!! WOO HOO! They start draining the lower part Feb. 1. Also, upstream, there is a major dam and spillway into the river that was turned off last week. Up there, there's a place where folks do tubing.

I figure I'll hunt the shoals right after the tubing spot (already been out there once, last weekend, but no decent finds. drat!), and the river here in town around the boat docks/launching areas and the swimming holes. I probably want to wade in the mud and be the first one out there, right?? Also, if the water gets low enough, I will even md the base of the upper and lower small dams here in town. I'm hoping to find rings, watches, maybe some necklaces and coins. I'll post any finds worthwhile. Wish me luck!!

HH, ya'll!

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
TXKajun said:
A rather timely topic for me.? Thanks.

The gov't drains the local river here in Jan. and Feb so the folks who live along it can fix their docks, do maintenance on bullwarks, etc.? Today is the day they start draining the upper part of the river (it's only about 4-6' deep in most parts)!!!? WOO HOO!? They start draining the lower part Feb. 1.? Also, upstream, there is a major dam and spillway into the river that was turned off last week.? Up there, there's a place where folks do tubing.?

I figure I'll hunt the shoals right after the tubing spot (already been out there once, last weekend, but no decent finds.? drat!), and the river here in town around the boat docks/launching areas and the swimming holes.? I probably want to wade in the mud and be the first one out there, right??? Also, if the water gets low enough, I will even md the base of the upper and lower small dams here in town.? I'm hoping to find rings, watches, maybe some necklaces and coins.? I'll post any finds worthwhile.? Wish me luck!!

HH, ya'll!

THERE ya go, good luck, i am envious to the max, I can tell it's DIAMONDS and GOLD!

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
great post..i recently bought a water detector and i have been thinking of rivers allot....so glad to see a post on it...i agree with Monty...i fly fish also and there are small divot's under the water.....there are also big holes under the water...way to big to detect..i bet when you do find a spot it will be rich in goodies...hunt where the fish feed

daydreamer

Dec 22, 2005
CHICO- Northern California
Detector(s) used
anything handy
I do not know the water flow of the spot you are talking but I have been able to find good stuff underwater in late summer when the water is lower on a weekday an human traffic is light( I cannot stand looky loos they always talk and tell, bringing competition). I have been able to find those spots that accumulate human junk and fill a bag so I couldn't hardly leave the water- no joke. I use a mask and snorkel for the rough and shallow areas and go full scuba diver on anything calmer and deeper. Just remember to stay within your personal ability limits- don't get drowned over a good find.

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
daydreamer said:
I do not know the water flow of the spot you are talking but I have been able to find good stuff underwater in late summer when the water is lower on a weekday an human traffic is light( I cannot stand looky loos they always talk and tell, bringing competition). I have been able to find those spots that accumulate human junk and fill a bag so I couldn't hardly leave the water- no joke. I use a mask and snorkel for the rough and shallow areas and go full scuba diver on anything calmer and deeper. Just remember to stay within your personal ability limits- don't get drowned over a good find.

And while were are at it we might think about fishing lures thet people loose, with double treble hooks, one stuck in a branch or log and the other in your body OUCH! be aware!

OP
OP
Q

Q.C.man

daydreamer said:
Hey DAYDREAMER,
You have done just that, got me daydreaming bigtime.My whole problem with the river is that I'm a fanatic about fishing. Everytime I get next to the water I want to fish it and not detect it. Your experience gets me thinking that I need to bring ONLY the detector to the river and start making it pay for itself. I know there is goodies there and at least one rolex watch. That will be my goal and man am I going to celebrate when I find it! I'm pumped, I'm ready, now all if we could just get rid of this !$#*! snow!
Q.C.
Thanks to all that contributed to this thread, your experiences and comments have eased my winter doldrums

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
hay Q.C. man...not if you find that watch but when you find it...you best post a nice shot of you and that watch in the water...so don't forget that camera...GOOD LUCK AND H H

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a stream like you describe near here.? Rafting and canoeing is big business in the summer time.? Unfortunately, nearly all the bank area is private property and hard to get access to.? The water is clear and it has a flint rocky bottom so visibility is excellent.? From June to September it is full of people and they nearly all upset along the several mile float trip.? Lots of drunk college kids too which makes summer hunting almost impossible.? If one had a wet or dry suit winter would be the ideal time to hunt it.? Right now ther water is really low due to the drought we are having and would be an ideal time to hunt it.? A small motorized raft or boat wouild be ideal to navigate it from the downstream side.? The private property doesn't include the water. I am really surprised I have heard of no one doing that.? Monty

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
hay Monty...wish we had that drought problem here....got my water detector and we got record rains..
go figure..we beat the record from 1888...most precipitation in a single year...i got this detector to hit the rivers but no luck this year...maybe 2006

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last I heard we were between 14 and 17 inches below normal. The weather guessers say that is the lowest since dust bowl days. The Arkansas River runs about a mile from my house and it's just a trickle lately. Apparently they're holding the lake level up or not generating electricitiy. Monty

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey QC

Just another thought on river detecting. I live on a river in northern Michigan with an average 7mph flow rate and in winter it will freeze completely across (about 300 ft.). Then what happens is during the spring thaw when the ice starts to break up and flow, it scrubs the bottom and in some years completely changes the bottom structure. I've seen huge boulders just disappear downstream during the ice breakup. The river is completely wadeable in the summer except for the bend holes that get up to 15ft. deep.

An example is this past summer while I was fishing a nice hole downstream from my place I snagged what turned out to be a lawn chair. After dragging it out and mentioning it to my neighbor two doors upstream, they said it was theirs...one of their kids had left it in less than a foot of water the previous fall. It was carried more than half a mile downstream.

So, if the river freezes I would head for the holes...my guess is that's where all the good stuff is lying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions