Traveling by air with a metal detector ?

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
no trouble , just take the batts out, and have it go under the plane , not as carry on., i travel over seas with mine all the time.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anzakid, Welcome to the Forum. I travel with my detector all the time also, Flying to Key West this Thursday, the only recommendation that I would make is to pack the detector in a hard case. I purchased a Pelican Gun case (www.pelican.com), and don?t forget to bring the charger. WARNING! Hunting Florida Beaches can be habit forming.

Good Hunting

Q

lordmartin

Greenie
Dec 23, 2005
UK
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tesoro SS 11
Tesoro SS Micromax
Compass Yukon 77B
rjnail of alabama said:
no trouble , just take the batts out, and have it go under the plane , not as carry on., i travel over seas with mine all the time.
Is there any reason you say for to put the detector in the check in luggage instead of carry on? I will be flying transatlantic soon and planned to take my excal (less the shaft) and my sunray supercharger in my handluggage so they can see it? and so it doesn't go missing or get damaged as I thought when they x ray the check in bags as they do all bags now they'd surely pull it out due to its shape and all the electronics and wires etc.? ::)

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I also travel with mine all the time, what I usually do is use a large suitcase, disassemble the detector and pack it within my clothes.
I don't remove the batteries, but I do of course check it. I have recently had them search my bag and didn't repack it as carefully as I had, so now I have a big note I put on top that says " Metal Detector carefully packed within clothing please use care when searching? ?Thank You" Never had a problem. I've probably done this at least 20 time in the last year.

Good Luck and HH

Baddog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread