Traveling by air with a metal detector ?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Dec 2005

Traveling by air with a metal detector ?

Will be traveling to Orlando Florida the end of Feb. I wonder if there is any problem with security.
    Should I leave the batteries out of the machine ? This will be first trip to Florida and will not have much time to spend on the beach. Thanks for any information.

Nov 2005
    Excalibur,
    2 times

Re: Traveling by air with a metal detector ?

no trouble , just take the batts out, and have it go under the plane , not as carry on., i travel over seas with mine all the time.

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Ays

May 2004
    Satellite Beach
    Minelab Excal 1000
    139 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Anzakid, Welcome to the Forum. I travel with my detector all the time also, Flying to Key West this Thursday, the only recommendation that I would make is to pack the detector in a hard case. I purchased a Pelican Gun case (www.pelican.com), and don?t forget to bring the charger. WARNING! Hunting Florida Beaches can be habit forming.

Good Hunting

Q

gb
    Dec 2005
    UK
    Excalibur 1000 Tesoro SS 11 Tesoro SS Micromax Compass Yukon 77B
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by rjnail of alabama
    no trouble , just take the batts out, and have it go under the plane , not as carry on., i travel over seas with mine all the time.
    Is there any reason you say for to put the detector in the check in luggage instead of carry on? I will be flying transatlantic soon and planned to take my excal (less the shaft) and my sunray supercharger in my handluggage so they can see it? and so it doesn't go missing or get damaged as I thought when they x ray the check in bags as they do all bags now they'd surely pull it out due to its shape and all the electronics and wires etc.?

us
    Dec 2004
    Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
    White's XLT
    4 times

I also travel with mine all the time, what I usually do is use a large suitcase, disassemble the detector and pack it within my clothes.
    I don't remove the batteries, but I do of course check it. I have recently had them search my bag and didn't repack it as carefully as I had, so now I have a big note I put on top that says " Metal Detector carefully packed within clothing please use care when searching? ?Thank You" Never had a problem. I've probably done this at least 20 time in the last year.

Good Luck and HH

Baddog

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links