Would like your input!

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
I was down at the beach today, we had a high tide with big surf and a cloud burst this morning creating a very good condition. I Was at one of my favorite spots when all of a sudden my Gt when crazy, turned around and within 10 feet of me was someone working hard with his Excalibur. I know I don't own the beach but I would never get that close to another guy working the beach unless I new him.

What you guys think?

Thanks

Upvote 0

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
I know I never do it, it's just disrespectful. If I'm in someones area it's because I'm going over to say hello, and with my machine off... I've had the same thing happen enough times to, usually I'll just get closer to them and screw up their machine, turn it off & on, til they get the message.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If he's smaller then you, beat snot out of him.

Is there anyone here that does not understand that was a joke?

In answer to the question, yes, I had a fella that I know follow from behind.
my machine was going bonkers. After awhile I happen to turn around and saw him.
I said a few choice words and he got the idea that I wasn't too happy.

I guess he was lonely.

Ralph

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of new hunters don't realize different detectors can cause interference on another detector. If he continued to follow too closely I would have asked him if he knew he was casuing interference on your machine. His reply would have told you if he didn't know, didn't care, didn't realize or was just being an idiot......

I follow hunters if they are going the same way I am, especially if they are swinging in a 180 degree arc and speed walking, but I am usually 50 to 75 behind them. I love recovering a gold ring behind someone who just walked over it..... ;D

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stay away and distance myself from other hunters. Even a buddy I hunted with, we would go to a lake beach and split it in half and not interfere with each other. When we were done with our side we would trade sides. Thats when the heckling would start "you missed something" but it was all in fun. You can't cover it all.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
A lot of new hunters don't realize different detectors can cause interference on another detector. If he continued to follow too closely I would have asked him if he knew he was casuing interference on your machine. His reply would have told you if he didn't know, didn't care, didn't realize or was just being an idiot......

I follow hunters if they are going the same way I am, especially if they are swinging in a 180 degree arc and speed walking, but I am usually 50 to 75 behind them. I love recovering a gold ring behind someone who just walked over it..... ;D
Many newbies don't realize that they can cause interference with someone else and have to be told about it. Usually it is the PI's that cause everone else troubles on the beaches.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I almost always will go over to another hunter to say hi but I never hunt next to them. I agree with everyone else... it is disrespectful. My gosh there is plenty of beach.... find another area!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I will usually try to say hello or at the least raise my hand in greeting. Most of the hunters I've encountered turn out to be pretty interesting.

Only one time when I was concentrating too much and a fellow detectorist was also concentrating too much did we almost run into each other. But we both chuckled and went in opposite directions.

I try to accommodate myself to the other hunter. If he does dry sand then I do the wet.

My pet peeve is the "jerk" going a mile a minute hurrying to get the good stuff. Fortunately he's gone quickly and I can pick up what he missed.

HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread